Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

About the Barbarian...

About the Barbarian

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5851 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Now I've durgan steel:

ultimate_barb_battery.png?dl=1

At lvl 15. It's funny how fights against Battery Sirens are supertough (usually need high dmg scrolls + Blood Thirst for those because of that sharty stuck affliction - can't wear a stag helmet :( ) while the end fight at the forge is easy peasy. Redeemer + carnage + Blood Thirst + some vessels for the win.

I tried to retrain without Blood Thirst - but it's just too good with scrolls to give it up. Now with durgan steel I will have nearly 0 recovery (0.7 frames) in full plate, with Vulnerable Attack and with Frenzy + Bloodlust. I will still keep Blood Thirst.

I'm aiming for Interrupting Blows as last talent and want to pick up the mourning gloves. The speed enchantment doesn't stack with Frenzy, but with Bloodlust. And the gloves give me improved interrupts per kill - and Godansthunyr and Shatterstar both have increased iterrupt times (0.75 and 1 sec)... Hope it's worth it.

Edit: argh - just remembered the Mourning Gloves are achieved through a stronghold adventure. Dammit! :(

Edited by Boeroer, 08 May 2017 - 09:49 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5851 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

First dragon down:

ultimate_barb_sky_dragon.png?dl=1

This was way easier than I thought. I expected this to be a tedious fight because there are no ads for Heart of Fury besides that little wurm thingy.
I never realized until this ultimate run how good potions of Major Recovery are. The short stuns of the dragon where completely nullified and with a little bit of Whiteleaf I could prevent constant terrify. The rest was just swinging around with both hammers. I didn't even need a scroll. Notice my Knockout injury I got when I struck down the nearly dead dragon with Vengeful Defeat (on purpose - I still have to unlock the last stage of the Redeemer ;)). Still, the fight took long enough so that all the food bonuses ran out. That's the problem with a barb if there's only one enemy left. Sometimes I really wish I could summon a bunch of enemies just to speed things up.  :biggrin: 

At level 16 the damage of Battle Forged + Scion of Flame + Blooded is very good by the way. Accuracy, too. I guess half of the damage I deat to the dragin was from Battle Forged. But for some odd reason I crit myself with Battle Forged in this fight (for over 60 burn damage although my burn DR was 24...). Don't know what happened there, but this sucks in a ToI run.

Now I can enchant Godansthunyr to superb. I will leave one sky dragon eye for another weapon because Shatterstar can be enchanted to legendary with a kraken eye (Godansthunyr can't, 1 point is missing).
Since Moonwell is so good I'm considering to retrain again, leaving Veteran's Recovery aside and taking Deep Pockets instead. I'm always short of quick slots. Shod-in-Faith are still nice, but with Moonwell they are also no longer needed. I think I will go and pick up Viettro's Formal Footwear now.

edit: all bounties of the main game are sone, too. As expected: very easy. Did 4 or 5 without resting in between. Only the vithrack exarch did cause some problems - or I should say his annoying crystal eaters did. I guess I got too c0cky. But Vengeful Defeat + Ring of Wonder saved me.

Edited by Boeroer, 09 May 2017 - 02:32 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5851 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I discovered that when you use Second Wind (healing ability from your athletics skill) while under 50% endurance (= Battle Forged is on) you will attack yourself once with your own Battle Forged. This can kill you. So: don't use Second Wind with a fire godlike at higher levels!

Edited by Boeroer, 09 May 2017 - 02:00 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5851 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sadly, the Adra Dragon killed my shiny barb. She was the last one standing (badly injured). All my charms hit, but I had a lot of issues with scrolls - they wouldn't go off after the casting animation, I had to recast several times. Maybe I should have killed the PoE process in the task manager and restart to get rid of those minor hickups, but I thought I could still do it. And then, also second chance didn't trigger, hell knows why. I also discovered that Dominion of Sleepers will cause a self hit with Battle-Forged, too (this time for 52 ). It seems that all watcher abilites that will do something with your character might have this issue. I guess it would have been easily possile without those quirks - because I defeatet her several times in the solo non-ToI tests I did before. All bounties so far (didn't do Magran's Faithful and Brynlod yet) and other content was fun and quite easy at lvl 16 with this barb, most normal encounters take less then 20 seconds. Durgan steel helps a barb a lot, especially if he uses CC-on-crit-weapons; more than one or two char levels can.

I guess the Alpine Dragon would have been the toughest challenge.

If anybody is interested, I could post a class build and describe briefly how I got this far.

I guess I will not do another attempt on the ultimate. It's just too time consuming and real life claims its share.

So... ulti-barb "Mallet" needs to rest now. :) It has been a valuable experience.

• rheingold likes this

BALONEYPWNY

BALONEYPWNY

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
I'd be interested in seeing your build, Boerer.
  • Boeroer likes this

Natures Bounty

Natures Bounty

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts

Sadly, the Adra Dragon killed my shiny barb. She was the last one standing (badly injured). All my charms hit, but I had a lot of issues with scrolls - they wouldn't go off after the casting animation, I had to recast several times. Maybe I should have killed the PoE process in the task manager and restart to get rid of those minor hickups, but I thought I could still do it. And then, also second chance didn't trigger, hell knows why. I also discovered that Dominion of Sleepers will cause a self hit with Battle-Forged, too (this time for 52 ). It seems that all watcher abilites that will do something with your character might have this issue. I guess it would have been easily possile without those quirks - because I defeatet her several times in the solo non-ToI tests I did before. All bounties so far (didn't do Magran's Faithful and Brynlod yet) and other content was fun and quite easy at lvl 16 with this barb, most normal encounters take less then 20 seconds. Durgan steel helps a barb a lot, especially if he uses CC-on-crit-weapons; more than one or two char levels can.

I guess the Alpine Dragon would have been the toughest challenge.

If anybody is interested, I could post a class build and describe briefly how I got this far.

I guess I will not do another attempt on the ultimate. It's just too time consuming and real life claims its share.

So... ulti-barb "Mallet" needs to rest now. :) It has been a valuable experience.

Now that is a pity! It must be quite frustrating to go down like this. I'd be very interested in a class build and run review too. And I'd be interested in your opinion whether this might be doable with other races.

• Boeroer likes this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1005 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sadly, the Adra Dragon killed my shiny barb. She was the last one standing (badly injured). All my charms hit, but

Did you notice that the dragon regains a part of endurance (~10-25%) when is repeatedly charmed?
  • Boeroer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5851 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Once I find some more time I will post a build.

@MaxQuest: No, I didn't to be honest. That's interesting. Why is that?

Most of the time I use the charm to get rid of the adds like Adragans and the dragon is still at full endurance at that time. Spares me some figurine uses. ;)
Then I try to place myself between some xaurips but in melee range of the dragon (basically getting surrounded by xaurips + dragon) for HoF. Then the only thing that's left is the dragon with injured or badly injured endurance. Then I will finish with kiting + scrolls. But not this time. ;)

Definitely doable with other races. I did a solo barb run before with a similar approach but with a boreal dwarf and finished it, but PotD only, no ToI. But of course I played more recklessly and therefore reloaded a lot. ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 13 May 2017 - 11:17 AM.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1005 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

@MaxQuest: No, I didn't to be honest. That's interesting. Why is that?

When trying various tactics vs Alpine Dragon, I've noticed that sometimes his endurance was slightly going up upon being charmed. For example he just dropped from barely injured to injured, got charmed, and suddenly mouseover tooltip displays barely injured again.

Another experiment I made was: cast Disintegration that should deal around ~850 dmg (stats adjusted via console) and watch if dragon dies (he has 816 hp on PotD). In the first case (when no other spells were cast) dragon indeed dies. But if he is repeatedly charmed - he doesn't (4 appliances of Whispers of Treason provided enough regeneration for him to end barely injured, despite of ~850 dmg raw DoT).

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5851 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Mysterious... did you have a chanter with Ancient Memory in the party or something? I guess not... ;)

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1005 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Mysterious indeed.

P.S. I triple checked for aoe healing sources. Not that there were much to check through, as I used for testing a solo, naked cipher, pale elf (not moon godlike):
- screenshot 1
- screenshot 2 (made exactly 1s later as you can see by Disintegration remaining duration)

My understanding is that charm stops combat for the affected target for a split second, enough for out-of-combat regen to kick in.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5851 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
It shouldn't stop combat as long as there are still (uncharmed) enemies left. But maybe you are right. I can't think of another reason.

Such wondrous healing doesn't occur when my party members get charmed. Unfair! ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: About, the, Barbarian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users