Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DONATIONS CLOSED - Item is funded! Thank you everyone! What kind of item should it be?

BIB Black Isle Bastards

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

Poll: Let's create an item for the Black Isle Bastards! What kind of item should it be? (104 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of unique equipment for the Black Isle Bastards should we fund with the "Create an item" tier?

1. Melee Weapon (32 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

2. Ranged Weapon (3 votes [2.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.88%

3. Magical Implement (Rod, Wand, Scepter) (2 votes [1.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.92%

4. Armor (7 votes [6.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.73%

5. Shield (1 votes [0.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.96%

6. Ring (10 votes [9.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.62%

7. Belt OR Gloves (2 votes [1.92%] - View)

8. Amulet (7 votes [6.73%] - View)

9. Boots (3 votes [2.88%] - View)

10. Cloak (2 votes [1.92%] - View)

11. Trinket (6 votes [5.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

12. Hat (13 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

13. Helmet (3 votes [2.88%] - View)

14. Grimoire (7 votes [6.73%] - View)

15. other (please specify in the comments) (6 votes [5.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

Should the special piece of equipment (completely or partly) be made of obsidian (if applicable)?

1. yes (83 votes [79.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.81%

2. no (21 votes [20.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

blotter

blotter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I understand that the devs have stated the macuahuitl's off the table, but if you're still interested in weapons that are good matches for the area where Huana culture's concerned, an obsidian axe or hatchet would line up pretty well with the stone axe heads that turn up among Hawaiian/Polynesian artifacts (http://www.academia....iian_Stone_Axes).

A mokomokai trinket, as seen here (https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Mokomokai) or here (https://www.forbes.c...w/#1f72c94074cf), might also be interesting. Alternatively, it could work as an amulet pretty easily since they only require inventory icons.

I'm not voting since I haven't contributed to the BIB item fundraiser yet, but I thought the ideas might have a place here.

Edited by blotter, 15 April 2017 - 02:06 PM.

• Fluffle, gogocactus and dukeisaac like this

dukeisaac

dukeisaac

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Great idea with the poll Fluffle. Let's get that item!

• Fluffle likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6212 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What about the "Black Isle Plaster" - heals all your injuries 1/rest? ;)

What would be easiest and won't interfere with ingame 3D-models and stuff would be a weapon with the usual appearance, but a different set of colors and/or materials.

So, things like an obsidian sabre, stiletto, dagger or rapier would fit the pirate theme best. But on the other hand that's also pretty boring stuff - unless you'd come up with some really creative combination of the usual enchantments (because new, unique ones we make up will also not be implemented).

So... the shape of the item can't be too different from items which will be in the game (but we don't know which weapon types and shapes will be in, erm...). Great situation that!

What about a wooden sword with the shape of a "usual PoE2 sword", no matter what that fial shape will be, but the edge is made of obsidian, fused into the wood. This would not require a different 3Dmodel but only an easy texture change where the inner blade apperes brownish and the edge is jet black. Maybe also some obsidian inlays. It's a mystery how the creator of this blade was able to craft obsidian in this way, but the sword is light and supersharp (for example - come up with other enchantment ideas please).

Could still be of Huana/animancy/shamanistic origin and might have onve been a weapon of revenge - the Huana shaman of a nearly extincted or enslaved tribe wanted to kill raiders/colonists/whatever with a weapon which looked like the ones they brought into the Huana world, but which consisted of the materials his tribe used and was infused with the magic of his tribe. Was also used to execute and sacrifice a lot of captured foreigners to their god(s). Maybe Skaen in a different appearance got int otheir heads at some points. Something like this.

I also really like the idea of putting an ability onto this item like the Girdle of the Driving Wave gives you Knockdown or the Siegebreaker Gauntlets give you Cleave and so on.

Because of that, and the possible backstory/lore I still like the idea of putting Blood Thirst on the weapon (= 0 recovery after kill). This would best fit to a slower, two handed weapon. So I think I'll vote for melee weapon made of obsidian. 

• gogocactus likes this

Corlagon

Corlagon

Ambassador of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
At this point it should be mentioned, that every wholehearted pirate needs at least one ass-kicking boot, made of Xaurip or Stelgaer-leather, soaked with saltwater, rum, blood and immorality.

Edited by Corlagon, 16 April 2017 - 01:25 AM.

• gogocactus likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Wait-wait-wait! What about "The Black Belt"? It would give you martial arts powers, aka Transcendent Suffering?  :)

Or what about a summoned weapon? Would that be possible? That way we could get two items into the game. ;) A ring/gloves/trinket that summons a powerful, black weapon entirely made of obsidian (appearence like OBS wishes). Like Forgemaster Gloves basically.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

At this point it should be mentioned, that every wholehearted pirate needs at least one ass-kicking boot, made of Xaurip-leather, soaked with saltwater, rum, blood and immorality.

Boots that give you Dragon Leap or Charge or Escape. Pretty handy when boarding ships *zoooom*! :)

• gogocactus likes this

Corlagon

Corlagon

Ambassador of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
or maybe some kind of stun or interruption.

Androoh

Androoh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts

A ship upgrade might be cool - like a crow's nest or sail made of rare, magic cloth or flag that improves speed or serves as some kind of talisman/ward against sea monsters.

Edited by Androoh, 16 April 2017 - 01:15 AM.

• gogocactus likes this

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Maybe Skaen in a different appearance got int otheir heads at some points.

"Tomorrow our would-be conqueror roasts in his own fire."

ThatUndeadLegacy

ThatUndeadLegacy

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I want an awesome cloak. 

• injurai and gogocactus like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
So I did some quick'n dirty vector graphics to show what I meant with the "standard shape" and the "obsidian edge + inlays" in one of my previous posts. In this case it's the model/shape of a fine great sword in PoE, no changes to the shape, only the textures. This could be done to any weapon with a blade, not only great swords. Of course great swords has the biggest "blade canvas":  ;)

bib_obs_sword.png?dl=1

This could be ivory + obsidian or so...

What do you think?

Edited by Boeroer, 16 April 2017 - 12:51 PM.

• ShadySands, Fluffle, illathid and 2 others like this

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think it's a great idea.

I also still think we should name our obsidian weapon "Beta Protocol", but that's just me.

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Although....this would be the perfect opportunity to make the Black Isle Bastards Logbook as a unique trinket item, listing such past adventures as "Aldur's Hate", "Night's of the Old Vailin Republic" and "Blightwind Gale".

Edited by Katarack21, 16 April 2017 - 03:53 PM.

• Freyjai and gogocactus like this

injurai

injurai

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Personally leaning towards Hat/Cloak/Armor. I like the idea of donning the BIB getup. But the cloak would have to be more than just a cape with logo. So I'm kind of leaning hat.

If armor, maybe...

V3kAhv4.jpg

• Messier-31, TheisEjsing, gogocactus and 3 others like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Although....this would be the perfect opportunity to make the Black Isle Bastards Logbook as a unique trinket item, listing such past adventures as "Aldur's Hate", "Night's of the Old Vailin Republic" and "Blightwind Gale".

Yeah - I also suggested that option in another thread. It would merge our "ingame-recognition-ledger" with a trinket item that gives a bonus. It would also be a bit more creative than a sword.

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah - I also suggested that option in another thread. It would merge our "ingame-recognition-ledger" with a trinket item that gives a bonus. It would also be a bit more creative than a sword.

I musta read your post and ruminated on it! I do think it's a better idea than Badass Sword #36.

gogocactus

gogocactus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Steam:gogocactus
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I musta read your post and ruminated on it! I do think it's a better idea than Badass Sword #36.

On that topic, might I add that I would welcome anything more creative than Badass Sword #36 :).

Fluffle

Fluffle

Fluffy Marshmallow of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Those of you who don't like the idea of "Badass Sword #36" - do you mean a sword specifically or any melee weapon for that matter?

So would you dislike "Badass Melee Weapon #36" just as much?

I'm just wondering, because at the moment the melee weapon is leading in the poll.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6212 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I would have voted "trinket" instead, but there's no option for it, tehehe. ;)

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Those of you who don't like the idea of "Badass Sword #36" - do you mean a sword specifically or any melee weapon for that matter?

So would you dislike "Badass Melee Weapon #36" just as much?

I'm just wondering, because at the moment the melee weapon is leading in the poll.

I originally voted melee weapon, but after a couple days thought deleted my voted and revoted "other" if that tells you anything.

I suspect that the list of melee weapons given to choose from will be relatively generic so as to be very easily implemented--the same weapons that there will be ten million other enchanted versions of.

I'd like to see our item stand out. An enchanted tri-fold hat, battered and beaten with all the the adventures it's been through (bonuses to elemental endurance?). An enchanted quill pen, capable only of writing the names of places you've already been (bonus to intelligence?). An enchanted map, showing only the places the Black Isle Bastards have yet to explore (bonus to resolve?). Etc, etc.

• gogocactus likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BIB, Black Isle Bastards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users