Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cipher Weapons

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Livegood118

Livegood118

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Boeroer, you are right about the soulbound scepter being the best ranged option for an Eothasian priest. In my current game, with a melee cipher MC and a ranged cipher, monk, paladin, priest & wizard, I gave the soulbound scepter to my priest and am having Aloth use Golden gaze.

To return to the cipher weapons topic, my MC is currently level 7, and is dual wielding Bittercut and Resolution. He already has the Biting Whip, Draining Whip, and WF Ruffian talents. I presume that Two Weapon Style would be the best choice to maximize DPS at level 8, right? I am also toying with going for Spirit of Decay at level 8, and having him use a shield instead. He's been sturdy so far in Sanguine Plate. I'm just not sure if would be better to dual wield or go with weapon and shield in the long run; I fear he might be bit too squishy to handle the hordes of nasty creatures in and around Durgan's Battery. [Edited to correct spelling mistake]

Personally, for a melee Cipher I would go:

– Sanguine Plate + Dual Wield/Reach Weapon with shield on switch before you've got access to Durgan Steel

– 1H Speed Weapon + Small Shield after you get your hands on Durgan Steel

– 2H Speed Weapon at Level 15 once you get defensive mindweb

Heavy Armour and dual wield in the early game with Sanguine Plate gives you a decent balance of offence/defence (have a shield on switch). With a Durgan Shield, Durganised Speed weapon and the gloves of swift action + Durgan Sanguine plate you'll have a really nice balance of offence/defence in the mid game and attack about as fast as you were before when you were dual wielding.

After Level 15 it doesn't matter what armour you're wearing because you've got access to defensive Mindweb which means you can go 100% balls to the wall on offence with Blade of the Endless Paths/Time Parasite at 0 Recovery.

Edited by Livegood118, 21 April 2017 - 10:12 AM.

dgray62

dgray62

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts

Thanks for advice, Livegood118. I think I'll go for Spirit of Decay at level 8, and Weapon and Shield at level 10, and then respec to Two Weapon Style after level 15, and once I have cloned the fully upgraded Bittercut.

Livegood118

Livegood118

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks for advice, Livegood118. I think I'll go for Spirit of Decay at level 8, and Weapon and Shield at level 10, and then respec to Two Weapon Style after level 15, and once I have cloned the fully upgraded Bittercut.

A Cipher with a Durganised Blade of the Endless Paths and Gauntlets of swift action and Time Parasite will attack with 0 recovery in Durganised Full Plate. He'll attack just as fast as a character duel wielding Bittercuts and do a lot more damage.

A Durganised Bittercut + Durganised Shield + Gloves of Swift Action + Time Parasite Combo with Durganised Full Plate will attack with only approx 10% of recovery (negligible).

Basically, if you're going to use Time Parasite, you don't gain much from going the two weapon style route because it's so good (the main benefit of dual wielding is full attacks, of which the cipher has none, and decreased recovery).

Dual wielding bittercuts does come with the cool factor though so I don't blame you ;)

Edited by Livegood118, 21 April 2017 - 10:33 AM.

dgray62

dgray62

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts

Perhaps I'll give Durganised Blade of the Endless Paths a try; thanks for the tip, Livegood118. There are certainly many good options to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users