Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CLASS BUILD : THE VAMPRIC LEECH

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5594 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Potions of Infuse with Vital Essence work the same as the spell, yes.

A fighter (or paladin) with 10 CON and a rogue with 19 CON will end up with nearly the same health. It's a bit sad though that a rogue has to invest so many points into CON to be as sturdy as a fighter with 10 CON - not to speak about monks or even barbarians.

I don't understand why OBS did this to the rogue. If rogues only were flimsy thieves who do pickpocketing all the time then maybe OK, but rogues cover a big variety of possible professions, from little thieves to burly doormen or bodyguards. No idea why OBS gave rogues such bad starting values.

Edited by Boeroer, 08 April 2017 - 09:21 PM.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm doing some solo with this build, comparing to other char i played recently the health pool indeed sink fast. And i wear a plate Atm. x4 endurance = health is really a misarable multiplier, with all your healing spell in a single fight it can happen to actually heal yourself without problems, but dying anyway due the low health

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Probably a fighter could be a better candidate for this build. The dmg will be a bit lower( but not so much), but the "staying alive" Power will be in a total different level. You even spare a talent ( vet recovery) and could possibile skip the godlike race for something like a boreal dwarf.

firkraag888

firkraag888

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts

I'm doing some solo with this build, comparing to other char i played recently the health pool indeed sink fast. And i wear a plate Atm. x4 endurance = health is really a misarable multiplier, with all your healing spell in a single fight it can happen to actually heal yourself without problems, but dying anyway due the low health

have you got the draining axes yet?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Draining axes don't matter when you look at health. They only heal endurance. It's not the lack of endurance that could make this build a bit unplesant to play in a solo game (you will get targeted and hit a lot) but the low health (compared to other melee oriented classes). I tried another rogue build with max CON and MIG, but used a shield and retaliation and stuff - and even then the health loss was not really manageable - except if I used Infuse of Vital Essence a lot. Then it was doable but still a lot of fuzz. I canceled that solo run...

If you level up you get all your health back by the way (or was that Tyranny?). ;)

@DR <3: The fighter gets Constant Recovery right from the start, that's true, and thus spares a talent point - but Constant Recovery is less powerful than Veteran's Recovery. If you want the fighter to be the better "regenerator" you'd have to take Rapid Recovery as well and that would cost a talent point, too.

The good thing about the rogue - if you want him to play as "behind enemy lines" character - is that Escape comes quite early and it pushes your deflection quite a bit. The overall squishyness is the downside once Escape runs out. Charge is the better ability of course, but it comes at lvl 13. This would be too late for me to build a whole concept around.

If you can manage to operate behind the lines without being targeted by a lot of enemies then I guess this rogue can be quite fun and effective. Because against one or two enemies he will easily stand his ground with this healing and also his monstrous fortitude (preventing long disables).

But for a solo game I guess there is no rogue build which can do a face-off most of the time without resting a ton - because rogues lack deflection and health as well as CC (disables) and consistent AoE damage. I have the same problem with fighters though, but to a lesser extend.

Edited by Boeroer, 09 April 2017 - 12:03 AM.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yes in my experience the only solo run i liked was a solo pacifist rogue, all about evade fights and go straight for thaos. But every time i try to play him solo like a "warrior" (actually fight enemies) i feel that most of other class could do the job better.
He lacks aoe DMG ( wiz, druid, priest, Chanter are way better) unless you don't try to mass abuse scroll; his cc are poor or comes late ( casters, monk, fighter, chiper do way better); low health - ok endurance; low tanking abilities. He just have good single target DMG, but monk, fighter, druid, chiper can do comparable or better dmg and comes all with other very strong perks.

Tl;dr: random rant against rogue

firkraag888

firkraag888

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts
If the Druid spirit shift was longer then 20 sec then yeah I probably would,never roll a rogue

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
However, taking the sneaky route and only fight when you can't avoid it or use Shadowing Beyond (and the Cape of the Master Mystic) can also be a lot of fun.

masterty66

masterty66

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts

I'm trying this build so far (in a group) and it's holding its own. Like all rogues he will still go down unfortunately quick if focus fired but like Boeroer said if you keep it to just a few enemies at a time on him he can hold his own thanks to the heal bonuses. 

firkraag888

firkraag888

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 200 posts

when get to higher levels 12+ he wont go down

Burrito

Burrito

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Conjurer thanks for your guide! I have a question. Where I can find second Edge of Reason axe? I found only one from Guardian of Od Nua (at 13th lvl).

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hi Burrito,

"Conjurer" ist the forum rank, not the name. The name is "firkraag888". :)

The second Edge of Reason comes from cloning with the Helwax Mold. The Helwax Mold is an item you can get from a stronghold adventure, called "The Wax Maker". The mold lets you copy one non-soulbound item of your choice and will give you a clone of the item with the exact same stats, enchantments included.

You don't need to do this by all means though. If you use We Toki (another unique battle axe) + Edge of Reason for example you will see that this setup is also very nice.

Burrito

Burrito

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hello Boeroer,

Thanks a lot for your answer and usefull tips! 

Yes, I'm little mixed up with nickname and rank  :blush:

Burrito

Burrito

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sorry for nub question. What is "Sap" in Abilities/Talents? Can't find.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's a lvl 13 ability that stuns the target. Other than the other affliction based attacks the rogue has (Crippling Strike, Blinding Strike and so on) this is not a full attack but only a primary attack, meaning that you won't use both weapons (if you are dual wielding in the first place), but you right hand weapon only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users