Deadfire edition of "Guns and Ammo"

So we have seen discussions of Special ammo, which is an interesting idea though it is a hole can of worms. But we are looking at increased use of Pistols and Muskets in Deadfire so i was kind-of wondering if we are going to see other changes to the Firearms in the game here are some of the ideas I had.

1. Rifled variants of all firearms, this would be a modifier that increases the hit/critical chance of the firearm with maybe a small hit to the reload speed.
  2. Smooth-bore, this would be faster to reload but would be less accurate for a solid slug but my be filled with shot to possibly used more like a shotgun and have a cone of effect with a high drop off.
  3. single shot, so this is based on the old cavalry usage of firearms where you may have a few loaded pistols that you fire in quick succession and drop after each is shot, then you pull your melee weapon and rush in.
  4. Carbine variants of rifles that allow for faster reload but have a shorter effective range, but no change to overall damage on things in range
  5. Bayonet, this would drastically increase reload speed but now the firearm is now also a low speck spear. this one really is historically based where sense the inception of a military musket there was always a bayonet, and we still haven't totally gotten rid of them on modern military arms.
  6. The Last idea would be different lock types, Match, Wheel, and Flint. in reality the only difference between these is reload speed and the time from pulling the trigger to the projectile leaving the barrel of a firearm. match locks are prone to the match going out and the match not always setting off the flash pan. Wheel locks are way better reliability wise but they have to be wound with each reload and they take a few fractions of a second for the sparkier to ignite the flash pan. and flint locks are the quickest of the three and have the highest reliability, until you get to percussion cap firearms, which i don't know if those have been developed yet in the world of PoE.

I would love to hear your ideas on the matter of more fleshed out guns in Deadfire.

Some confirmed changes from Q&A's are one handed pistols so they can be paired with things and a hand cannon that fires AoE rounds.

Effectively an early mortar launcher, I'm betting. Unique to one of the companions, isn't it?

Some confirmed changes from Q&A's are one handed pistols so they can be paired with things and a hand cannon that fires AoE rounds.

Effectively an early mortar launcher, I'm betting. Unique to one of the companions, isn't it?

That I am not sure of, just that it exists as a weapon.  It was brought when someone asked if there were changes being made to firearms.

Yeah, unique to the pirate orlan whose name escapes me at this moment.

Apart from that, I haven't heard anything about special ammo. Was under the impression that all ammo was scrapped because people don't want to use 100s of inventory slots for arrows and bullets.

The bayonet idea is kind of interesting (reading the Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler now, so bayonets are very much on the brain). Less accuracy maybe, but when an enemy comes into melee range, the character automatically starts stabbing instead? That would be cool. Not sure if it matches the setting though.

Lugging around an actual mortar would be incredibly satisfying.

So we have seen discussions of Special ammo, which is an interesting idea though it is a hole can of worms. But we are looking at increased use of Pistols and Muskets in Deadfire so i was kind-of wondering if we are going to see other changes to the Firearms in the game here are some of the ideas I had.

1. Rifled variants of all firearms, this would be a modifier that increases the hit/critical chance of the firearm with maybe a small hit to the reload speed.
  2. Smooth-bore, this would be faster to reload but would be less accurate for a solid slug but my be filled with shot to possibly used more like a shotgun and have a cone of effect with a high drop off.
  3. single shot, so this is based on the old cavalry usage of firearms where you may have a few loaded pistols that you fire in quick succession and drop after each is shot, then you pull your melee weapon and rush in.
  4. Carbine variants of rifles that allow for faster reload but have a shorter effective range, but no change to overall damage on things in range
  5. Bayonet, this would drastically increase reload speed but now the firearm is now also a low speck spear. this one really is historically based where sense the inception of a military musket there was always a bayonet, and we still haven't totally gotten rid of them on modern military arms.
  6. The Last idea would be different lock types, Match, Wheel, and Flint. in reality the only difference between these is reload speed and the time from pulling the trigger to the projectile leaving the barrel of a firearm. match locks are prone to the match going out and the match not always setting off the flash pan. Wheel locks are way better reliability wise but they have to be wound with each reload and they take a few fractions of a second for the sparkier to ignite the flash pan. and flint locks are the quickest of the three and have the highest reliability, until you get to percussion cap firearms, which i don't know if those have been developed yet in the world of PoE.

I would love to hear your ideas on the matter of more fleshed out guns in Deadfire.

More variation and customization certainly doesn't hurt. Having addon materials change the properties of items (like adding a bayonete to a firearm) would also be a nice feature and would make crafting more interesting.

I'd like to see portable cannons with poison projectiles that do splash damage.

EDIT: that can be dual-wielded.

Preach it :banana:

Maybe we can call in fire from our ship on to our unsuspecting enemies, assuming you have big enough cannons.

And assuming every scene takes place near the coast or the cannons have infinite range and shoot smart missiles :p

I was joking in my post, obviously :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

Hey I just found this on one of my YouTube subscriptions it's a wheel lock hand mortar.

Oh my. Is it too late to add a new stretch goal?

it would be a cool AoE weapon, and i love that channel he always finds some interesting stuff.