GRIMOIRE has arrived

Just In:

Cleve says his next game will be an isometric lovecraftian action-rpg with 2D sprites. Now THAT would be amazing! Too bad it might be another 20+ years for that.

Ha! I saw that too and thought the same thing. 

Someone also asked him to release the source code for people that want to use his engine, which would be cool. I have on occasion dreamed of doing art assests for a first person dungeon crawler. 

• Like 1

SonicMage117, you've got to be the best troll account I have ever seen.

I know right? I don't even have to try. All I have todo is share an opinion or some info that someone doesn't like and suddenly I'm a troll or deemed irrelevant. It's as bad as the Steam forums and YouTube comments section.

It's also why I will exist here always and remain plenty active ;)

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Bruce is still superior in my eyes. But sometimes, I miss the old-fashioned bluntness of Volourn, who at least had the honour to present a coherent faith in the greatness of NWN1.

At one point Cleve talked about Grimoire being a trilogy. It's a race against climate change induced planetary disaster, really.

Cleve's announcement of his new lovecratian game was official word. I'd post the source here but since it's on the "hated" Steam forums and it's unappreciated but still good useful information then I will be called a troll even moreso.

So hell, I'll just refer guests to the Steam forums of they want to know what Cleve is actually doing lol That way people don't get misguided here.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967615870818185/

^Meteorbear and I were referring to this discussion.

I'll probably be called a troll, spammer or whatever for linking to Steam but what's new lol

I highly doubt that Cleve will do another Grimoire anytime soon, considering how bad it's doing. Plus, 20 years is a long time at least this is what he is softly saying in his postings.

Edited by SonicMage117

Bruce is still superior in my eyes. But sometimes, I miss the old-fashioned bluntness of Volourn, who at least had the honour to present a coherent faith in the greatness of NWN1.

At least when Volourn posts, it's generally succinct and to the point...more or less. He also doesn't play the victim card whenever his nonsense is pointed out...instead, he just argues even harder with ever-increasing levels of hyperbole. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Useful information is only useless if you guys don't want to acknowledge it.

I'm not playing the victim here lol But like I said, I'll be called anything for posting the information.

Quote from Cleve:

"I really am interested in applying all this general philosophy of what RPGs should be on a game with a Lovecraft theme and isometric view. I actually want to work on that game more than the sequel to Grimoire. I have had demos working and it is likely if things are good that I will start coding that up this year. I have literally been thinking about it for 20 years now and always I had to work on Grimoire instead. Thanks for your complements on the game."

^This is very literal in every sense. He is tired of Grimoire. It's a simple read really. Sorry I didn't post it before to avoid your troubles and any false hope.

Edited by SonicMage117

You wonder how many years ago he placed that monument.

I've been slowly learning basic tricks of the trade.

• Having at least 2, I'd say 3, meaty fighters seems important to bulk up for the frontlines and to do damage in early levels (when you can hardly find arrows for your ranger or whatnot).
  • In turn you want to keep up their VIT so they can penetrate enemies, perhaps with copious use of the Refresh spell (available to Clerics, etc).
  • Having one dude with both inspection and lockpicking is important, since you use both to pick locks.
  • Drop items on the Assay icon to get detailed mechanical info (though not that detailed, heh).
  • Mindread is super cool / useful, just try it on any NPC you fancy.
  • Status effects seem to be king, for both sides, and they work standardly on 'boss' enemies as well, which is a nice break from the (j)RPG convention.
  • Like 1

Daily quote from Cleve:

"There will be a GOG version. It may not be for a while. At present the goal is to polish the game to shining perfection on Steam until it is flawless. Getting there but going to be a while and when it is finally ready for GOG it is likely it will remain here on Steam as long as they will permit it."

^I'm curious to how this will play out, considering that Cleve aims to enforce DRM and is a true believer in DRM's. Pretty important stuff.

Edited by SonicMage117

Mindread is super cool / useful, just try it on any NPC you fancy.

Also, cheese Mindread. If you find a scroll, which isn't that hard, just save before using it on an NPC, then write down all keywords and reload. One Mindread fits all. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My Sage could memorise it around level 4/5. In general resources seem pretty plentiful, and weirdly spellbooks and the like seem easier to come by, almost, than decent weapons and armour.

Of course, then I let some worms rust my warrior's armour, and now he's feeling very vulnerable..

Daily quite from Cleve:

"Because you have played it I am sure you would agree that with the exploits patched and some data refined it could become a very, very difficult game at the higher levels. Without the essential cheats and bard hacks some battles would not be one-sided and in this first release many might have complained it was just too hard. Getting it properly balanced so that novice is reasonable and SUPERHERO is nigh impossible is the goal of game balancing."

Daily quote from Cleve:

"Grimoire doesn't take itself seriously like an autistic kid bearing down on a jar of pickles. If you don't like tongue-in-cheek, I don't think you would like it. It's not a game designed to be satirical, that is just the way I create, write and design computer games. I would warn you off any games I might make in the future as well, they could cause you to laugh. Grimoire is lighthearted because it is a fantasy roleplaying game. Even in the darkest dungeon you can expect something whimsical. Being a soldier gives you a certain sense of humor about the world and it never changes back. You don't appreciate whimsy and fun until you've spent a lot of time without it. I don't understand games with serious grimdark viking helmets trying to pretend they are tough. They just seem ridiculous. If you'd been where I have been in life you'd see that. Given that it is a whimsical game that does not take itself very seriously I would suggest there is more real wisdom, observation and general intellectual stimulation in Grimoire than almost any other game on the Steam store. What they put in as a political message or forced conflict, I stuck in from my real life experience with the world. I am not trying to spread a message or teach lessons or change minds with my computer game - aside from being a really evil way to live life I don't consider any of those things to be appropropriate in a fantasy roleplaying game. The only message you will get in Grimoire is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the world at all. That's the big message of the entire game."

Daily quote from Cleve:

"Grimoire doesn't take itself seriously like an autistic kid bearing down on a jar of pickles. If you don't like tongue-in-cheek, I don't think you would like it. It's not a game designed to be satirical, that is just the way I create, write and design computer games. I would warn you off any games I might make in the future as well, they could cause you to laugh. Grimoire is lighthearted because it is a fantasy roleplaying game. Even in the darkest dungeon you can expect something whimsical. Being a soldier gives you a certain sense of humor about the world and it never changes back. You don't appreciate whimsy and fun until you've spent a lot of time without it. I don't understand games with serious grimdark viking helmets trying to pretend they are tough. They just seem ridiculous. If you'd been where I have been in life you'd see that. Given that it is a whimsical game that does not take itself very seriously I would suggest there is more real wisdom, observation and general intellectual stimulation in Grimoire than almost any other game on the Steam store. What they put in as a political message or forced conflict, I stuck in from my real life experience with the world. I am not trying to spread a message or teach lessons or change minds with my computer game - aside from being a really evil way to live life I don't consider any of those things to be appropropriate in a fantasy roleplaying game. The only message you will get in Grimoire is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the world at all. That's the big message of the entire game."

I find myself often pining for the older days of RPGs when they didnt take themselves so seriously, it will come back around one day. My biggest disappointment with Pillars was the serious tone of the story, but thats prevalent in all forms of modern entertainment. 

I find myself often pining for the older days of RPGs when they didnt take themselves so seriously, it will come back around one day. My biggest disappointment with Pillars was the serious tone of the story, but thats prevalent in all forms of modern entertainment.

You would love Divinity Original Sin and Zenith. They're writing is all humor reminiscent of 80's comic gaming with modern undertones.

• Like 1

Daily quote from Cleve:

"Trying to cross the street for a Coke is a nightmare in Crowl. You have to hide in people's abandoned homes and try to cross the street in one burst without being attacked by firebugs and gangster quartets. Clearly the Vanguard are not there to keep law and order. It's a free-for-all. This is why Trimestes is so glad to see you. He can't believe a customer actually made it across the street to his shop without getting killed."

It's not the worst town but... yeah, it's got some fast n furious narrative to it XD

Daily quote from Cleve:

"Grimoire is unbalanced. It has suffered from piecemeal editing of monsters without the global overview being present for years. These issues will be ironed out in V2 where whole genera of monstrum will be gauged incrementally and adjustments made to them to reflect their level and context. At present you have some fights that are way too hard for too little XP. I just have not tightened this up yet with so much else to do. It will be straightened out shortly after it is ascertained there are no serious bugs left in the game. We are almost to that stage now. There are incredible items in the game - but you will almost never find anything spectacular in the regular supermixer chests. They are designed to be rather blah and generic. The incredible stuff you have to hunt for and often like Caliburnus they won't be found in a chest. The items in the supermixer chests are to give your party average equipment and supplies of average magic items."

Progressed a fair bit now, well into what I think might be the mid-game. The party's now a pretty well oiled system, though very rudimentary and no doubt incapable of cutting it in higher difficulties. The exploration and puzzles are good, so that's actually been the main draw so far. It's weird; the game frequently breaks fourth wall, doesn't feature a huge amount of NPCs, but there's a certain efficiency and harmony in what is there so that each area and each new bit of lore sets the tone very effectively. You just never find yourself wondering what this quest or piece of dialogue or whatnot is doing here.

And then, of course, someone tells you about something named the Psychopomp...