Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Planescape: Torment EE

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1521 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Well, it's the only reason I may eventually buy BG2:EE...when it's on sale, :p

Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Fair enough!

BG2:EE seems to go on sale for $5 during Steam's summer sales, if that helps any.

I don't have anything against soundtracks, and I like the ones I have (Dark Souls III is pretty nice) but I don't go out of my way to obtain them.

• Bartimaeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1521 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

I have a lot of game soundtracks. A few hundred, actually. My music takes up a bit of space since I always keep everything in FLAC except for a few free digital downloads that came in MP3s only...

kensu

kensu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 85 posts

And as for BG1, yeah, some of the kits like the Inquisitor and the Archer can trivialize a lot of the encounters (though Inquisitors do that in BG2, anyway), but other kits like Kensai and Monk struggle at low levels bringing some extra challenge to the game.

I agree with the monk, but the kensai? The kensai is so stupidly overpowered that you can kill an ogre before reaching the Friendly Arms inn. Unless you intentionally weaken your character by giving them ****ty stats.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

And as for BG1, yeah, some of the kits like the Inquisitor and the Archer can trivialize a lot of the encounters (though Inquisitors do that in BG2, anyway), but other kits like Kensai and Monk struggle at low levels bringing some extra challenge to the game.

I agree with the monk, but the kensai? The kensai is so stupidly overpowered that you can kill an ogre before reaching the Friendly Arms inn. Unless you intentionally weaken your character by giving them ****ty stats.

really? i thought that kensai is extremely weak in BG due to lack of armor and not much other options to suplement it

kensu

kensu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 85 posts

really? i thought that kensai is extremely weak in BG due to lack of armor and not much other options to suplement it

You just need to start with a really high dexterity, the AC is determined by subtracting your dexterity from 23.
You're also supposed to get a natural boost ever 3 levels like a monk, but I believe they never implemented that. (I got this information from the tabletop game, BTW)
It's also not much of an issue since even with starting equipment you will start out doing more than 10 HP damage with every hit, so not much can stand against you.

(BTW: this is true in both Baldur's Gate Trilogy and EE, I've tried it in both)

Edited by kensu, 15 May 2017 - 03:41 PM.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 713 posts

How would that be exactly? The max Dex you can have is 18. 19 for the elf, but you will have lower hp.
This corresponds to AC 6 with -2 bonus it gives AC 4 at the start if I remember correctly and no way for kensai to improve it.
At lvl one you have one use of kai ability which gives one max damage attack since you only have one attack on lvl one.
Oh and no ranged weapons.
No way this will allow to kill ogre before level 4-5. Kensai is powerfull but not in BG1 without items.

kensu

kensu

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 85 posts

How would that be exactly? The max Dex you can have is 18. 19 for the elf, but you will have lower hp.
This corresponds to AC 6 with -2 bonus it gives AC 4 at the start if I remember correctly and no way for kensai to improve it.
At lvl one you have one use of kai ability which gives one max damage attack since you only have one attack on lvl one.
Oh and no ranged weapons.
No way this will allow to kill ogre before level 4-5. Kensai is powerfull but not in BG1 without items.

Actually I have 5/2 attacks since I used my five proficiency slots as follows: 2 for two-weapon style, 3 in long sword. I then bought and equipped two longswords from the inn at Candlekeep. As I noted before I was getting 10+ HP damage on some enemies, the Ogre was a little lower, but I was able to run away and heal myself and come back and smack him again, but I only had to do that once. Remember, kensai have a LOT of HP, especially if you have high constitution. Also their have to-hit bonus, which I think makes all the difference.

If you don't believe me, try it for yourself, I forget exactly where the Ogre is, but it's the one that has the two girdles. (BTW i tried this in BGT, but the stats I got matched the ones I had in EE, so it should work there as well.)

(Edit: I just ran this through because this afternoon I was also doing tests with Monk and Kensai's I'd built in BOT, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't misremembering what happened. Although it isn't a 100% certain thing, you can kill an ogre at level 1, with no special equipment. I got one hit that took 28 HP out, and it wasn't even a crit. This is the lvl 1 kensai I mentioned above, with 18/88 str and 18 dex).

Edited by kensu, 15 May 2017 - 09:33 PM.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 713 posts

Actually I have 5/2 attacks since I used my five proficiency slots as follows: 2 for two-weapon style, 3 in long sword. I then bought and equipped two longswords from the inn at Candlekeep. As I noted before I was getting 10+ HP damage on some enemies, the Ogre was a little lower, but I was able to run away and heal myself and come back and smack him again, but I only had to do that once. Remember, kensai have a LOT of HP, especially if you have high constitution. Also their have to-hit bonus, which I think makes all the difference.
If you don't believe me, try it for yourself, I forget exactly where the Ogre is, but it's the one that has the two girdles. (BTW i tried this in BGT, but the stats I got matched the ones I had in EE, so it should work there as well.)

(Edit: I just ran this through because this afternoon I was also doing tests with Monk and Kensai's I'd built in BOT, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't misremembering what happened. Although it isn't a 100% certain thing, you can kill an ogre at level 1, with no special equipment. I got one hit that took 28 HP out, and it wasn't even a crit. This is the lvl 1 kensai I mentioned above, with 18/88 str and 18 dex).

You can put the same proficiencies as pure fighter so nothing extra there. Paladin and ranger would have similar except one less proficiency in swords.
To hit bonus on level one is -1 and damage +1 it increase -1/+1 every three levels. So it's not so much difference.
A lot of HP is exactly 14 on lvl 1 and 28 on lvl 2. Exactly as a pure Fighter.
The hit and run tactics is possible with numerous characters so nothing special there.
I still don't see any extra KABOOM :) over a pure fighter who will have a much better AC.
I'm not saying Kensai is bad it's almost exactly as a pure fighter class on low level. In case of AC it's a little worse even, damage output with KAI is a little better.

Edited by Sharp_one, 15 May 2017 - 09:48 PM.

• Chilloutman likes this

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

You can put the same proficiencies as pure fighter so nothing extra there. Paladin and ranger would have similar except one less proficiency in swords.
To hit bonus on level one is -1 and damage +1 it increase -1/+1 every three levels. So it's not so much difference.
A lot of HP is exactly 14 on lvl 1 and 28 on lvl 2. Exactly as a pure Fighter.
The hit and run tactics is possible with numerous characters so nothing special there.
I still don't see any extra KABOOM :) over a pure fighter who will have a much better AC.
I'm not saying Kensai is bad it's almost exactly as a pure fighter class on low level. In case of AC it's a little worse even, damage output with KAI is a little better.

exactly

Judicator

Judicator

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 151 posts

Well, I have played with a Kensai in BG1, and they're certainly playable, but they're in no way overpowered. I mean, you don't even have any of the Kensai's attack and damage bonuses before level 3, and they're offset by items like the Helm of Balduran or the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise, which the other warrior classes can wear. There aren't even any Ioun stones in BG1. Plus your AC is gonna be ass until somebody gets the ability to cast Spirit Armor.

Edited by Judicator, 16 May 2017 - 12:56 AM.

• Chilloutman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users