Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Planescape: Torment EE

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 687 posts

Apparently Beamdog is preparing to annouce the release of Enhanced Edition of Torment.

Countdown can be found here:

http://planescape.com/

On RPGCodex there are some leaks of the new UI and titular screen:

11tbshx.jpg

2uix2fq.jpg

• Katphood and illathid like this

Valmy

Valmy

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 734 posts
  • Steam:valmy77
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Huh. What is enhanced about it?

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2717 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Huh. What is enhanced about it?

The pricetag.
  • Tigranes, Hiro Protagonist, Tel Aviv and 9 others like this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5200 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Went over to Beamdog to read up on Torment and noticed Siege of Dragonspear. Checking my Steam library reveals that I apparently already purchased it and then completely forgot that I owned it. Thanks Trump.
  • SadExchange likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4542 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'll probably get it.  Particularly since one of my discs has gone walksies.

I liked Siege of Dragonspear.  It wasn't a game defining moment, but I had fun with it and thought it made a nice bridge to BG2. 

• illathid and kanisatha like this

Ganrich

Ganrich

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1103 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'll grab it at some point. No rush. I hope they haven't added a bunch of stuff. The game was pretty perfect in narrative, and they will just mess it up if they try an add content. That is unless MCA gives them the skinny on some cut content they could bring back, and/or maybe flesh out some of those non-core companions like Nordom or Vhailar. Even still I'd like them to keep their fingers out of the narrative more than fix the games few flaws.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1850 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
What is that abomination in the bottom left corner of the UI?

Edited by Fenixp, 27 March 2017 - 09:54 AM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8788 posts

can nameless one be female now

• sorophx likes this

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm actually rather curious about this: one of the biggest flaws about the game is its horrible UI and at the very least Beamdog seem to be making an effort so as to bring it to speed with the other IE releases. That would mean an improvement in and of itself. What I'm perhaps more concerned about is whatever additional content they'll make for the game, how jarring and forceful it'll appear, and how they might alter the content that is already there to reflect on their ideology. Based on my experience with the Baldur's Gates I do feel they go about this all pretty stupidly, unfortunately.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1850 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I do hope they just don't make any new content whatsoever. A single sentence they'll write will inevitably feel out of place, don't mess with perfection.

Anyway, I'm mostly just happy about the prospect of playing PS: T without having to modify it and about being able to play it in my native resolution without everything being tiny (because zoom feature is a really elegant way of resolving this issue)
  • Guard Dog likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4542 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What is that abomination in the bottom left corner of the UI?

Looks like the pause button and/or day/night cycle display.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10112 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ugh. It's been like five years - stop raking money off another studio's hard work with your crap "improvements" and go make a real game already.

I'm actually rather curious about this: one of the biggest flaws about the game is its horrible UI and at the very least Beamdog seem to be making an effort so as to bring it to speed with the other IE releases. That would mean an improvement in and of itself. What I'm perhaps more concerned about is whatever additional content they'll make for the game, how jarring and forceful it'll appear, and how they might alter the content that is already there to reflect on their ideology. Based on my experience with the Baldur's Gates I do feel they go about this all pretty stupidly, unfortunately.

Every beamdog UI has been worse than the original, sadly. Adds two informative boxes that didn't exist before, tradeoff is everything looks like it was made by a newcomer to DeviantArt who can't line things up on VBasic properly. IE UI was always superb in how it communicated the aesthetic of each game.

• Hiro Protagonist, Bartimaeus and sorophx like this

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Best to make your own Enhanced Edition?

http://thunderpeel20...lly-modded.html

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1850 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Best to make your own Enhanced Edition?

Well...
a) You can't scale the resolution in any way in the modded version as it has no functionality, so you can either have everything tiny or not play on native resolution (unless you have a screen with low native, naturally)
b) You can't tweak the game directly from the game - EE allow you to just slide the font scale slider and get the size you want. With mods you exit game, start weidu installer and guess on what is it that you'd prefer. They also moved a bunch of options from the IE settings tool directly into in-game menus, which is neat.
c) The irritating fog of war issue is no longer a thing you need to deal with, ever

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8474 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm game if they clean up the resolution and graphics a bit, my GOG version doesn't look great.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

can nameless one be female now

You're the Nameless One. He can be whoever she wants.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hmmm... I was just saying on another thread that I have been waiting for this, yet knew nothing of this...

This would be perfect. I expect trading cards and achievements as well as remastered and filtered audio assets.

I know I can just buy the original and mod it but I'm more on my phone than an actual pc these days so it would be great to just purchase-and-play. Better yet, will it support/survive 4k resolution?
  • illathid likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Realistically speaking, probably not. Most of their work on the other EEs has been of the same tier as that of modders: fan-made content, tweaks and little feature changes, and small graphical changes - much of this, besides the "fan-made content", that was literally originally done by modders (such as Erephine's 1pp graphics changes, or ToBEx's myriad of engine changes, or the Fixpack's, er, well, fixes) and just implemented them into the base game. There has been scant little done beyond this scope. As such, it's hard to expect much...unless they're importing the game into their BG2EE version of the Infinity Engine, which would likely mean getting rid of that clumsy spin-wheel right click action system and and just BG-izing things. ...Which, based on those icons on the UI in that screenshot, may very well be what they're doing. This may be the most interesting and worthwhile - perhaps - of the EEs, if so. I'm curious as to how differently the game might play in terms of handling if that is actually the route they're going - PST was certainly the most clunky of the IE games, so it'd be a novelty, at the very least, to play it in the BG2EE Infinity Engine.

If they stick more of their "original content" into the game and charge for it, though, the game is going straight into the garbage bin for me, same as BG1/2:EE.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 27 March 2017 - 12:14 PM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4542 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hmm, if they're importing the "Planescape:Torment" game into their BG2EE / BGEE engine - does that mean the hard-coded companion limit wouldn't be an issue?

I seem to recall that one of the reasons why PST never received FanMod companions is that the only way to do it was to replace an existing companion because of how companions had been set up in the game code differently than with BG.  I know not everyone has liked Beamdogs new companions, but that could open PSTEE(?) up to more options for modders, couldn't it?

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Hmm, if they're importing the "Planescape:Torment" game into their BG2EE / BGEE engine - does that mean the hard-coded companion limit wouldn't be an issue?

I seem to recall that one of the reasons why PST never received FanMod companions is that the only way to do it was to replace an existing companion because of how companions had been set up in the game code differently than with BG.  I know not everyone has liked Beamdogs new companions, but that could open PSTEE(?) up to more options for modders, couldn't it?

raw.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users