Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The art thread

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There does seem to be a bit of an overload of depressing art in the thread.   :p

You think? There's a couple I'd call depressing (Boltaksi or Berni for example, and I can see how Beksinski can be deemed depressing too even though there is a comedic element to all of his work, however grim it may seem), but for the most part a lot of the art I've posted has a pretty distinct spiritual or transcendent motive to them.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4530 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

For anyone who is a fan of Art Nouveau, Alphonse Mucha's Le Pater was reprinted by The Century Guild Museum and Gallery.  A larger more extensive hard bound reprint is forthcoming. 

Unlike his typical poster art, or his magnum opus series of paintings The Slav Epic, Le Pater was created as a printed book.  Since the original only had about 500 copies made of it, its a new opportunity to see the book as it was intended to be seen (as opposed to the various images taken out of the book setting seen reprinted over the years). 

Oof, that is lovely. I'd love to get my hands on that.

Its really nice - I have the smaller softcover they did first; apparently the hardcover is going to have additional writing about the work and photographs (I believe from Mucha's production photos).

003_Le_Pater1.jpg

My favorite "art" piece was a painting by Andrew Wyeth that has been re-printed a million times:

Andrew Wyeth is considered to be a top US artist.  His dad, N. C. Wyeth, is considered to be one of the top US illustrators.  His work on TREASURE ISLAND is legendary.

4731194814_1f45f7a7b7_o.jpg

• algroth likes this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3198 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I did introduce a friend to the art of Luis Royo a few weeks back.

• Agiel likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
Exhibition on Russian Art from 1917-1932 in the royal academy of arts in London, some of my favourites....

82113444_large_kustodiev.jpg
boris kustodiev demonstration on Uritsky

48055.jpg
isaak brodsky lenin in smolny

Yuon_New_Planet_1921.jpg
konstantin yuon new planet

Oborona_petrograda.jpg
alexander deineka the defense of petrograd 1928
  • algroth likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I know this is more about painting than photography but I found this on http://www.art.com

jim-and-jamie-dutcher-jim-dutcher-places

Algoth this thread is going to end up costing me money. You've got me looking around on that site for something to liven up this house. I've never been one for decorating and the walls are pretty bare.

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I know this is more about painting than photography but I found this on http://www.art.com

jim-and-jamie-dutcher-jim-dutcher-places

Algoth this thread is going to end up costing me money. You've got me looking around on that site for something to liven up this house. I've never been one for decorating and the walls are pretty bare.

Photography is very much admitted here, as is the case with Duane Michals for example a page back. Can't say I'm a fan of that particular example, I've never been a fan of dogs to put it mildly (sorry). :(

And sorry to hear that too, but hey, it'll be for a good cause (or so I'll tell myself?)! :lol:

• Guard Dog likes this

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Exhibition on Russian Art from 1917-1932 in the royal academy of arts in London, some of my favourites....

Really nice stuff there, Ben! That Konstantin Yuon piece looks wonderful, I'll be looking into him a bit more.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

Really nice stuff there, Ben! That Konstantin Yuon piece looks wonderful, I'll be looking into him a bit more.
Happy to help :)

Some more cause I got time on my hands:

redko-insurrection-1925.jpg
kliment redko insurrection

C9WmspdUAAA_63t.jpg
andrey golubev; red spinner

red-cavalry-1932.jpg
kazimir malevich; red cavalry

image.JPG
state porcelain factory leningrad; dish "moulding workshop"

kuzma-petrov-vodkin-after-the-battle-192
kuzma petrov-vodkin; after battle

Edited by Ben No.3, 20 April 2017 - 06:38 AM.

• algroth likes this

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Some very nice stuff there, Ben. Malevich is probably my favorite Soviet artist of that time alongside Naum Gabo. Here's another for you, by Aleksandr Gerasimov:

Gerasimov+,+Alexander,+Lenin,+1930.jpg

Also, Ilya Repin

Spoiler

6s1jtfbrkqqx.jpg

ilya_repin_3_reply_of_the_zaporozhian_co

D90.jpg

Barge-Haulers-on-the-Volga-by-Ilya-Repin

Edited by algroth, 04 May 2017 - 02:37 PM.

• Ben No.3 likes this

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Cornelis van Dalem (some in collaboration with Jan van Wechelen)

Cornelis_van_Dalem_-_The_Dawn_of_Civiliz

Cornelis_van_Dalem_and_Jan_van_Wechelen_

1200px-Dalem-paisaje_con_pastores.jpg

VAN+DALEM.+det.++1+paisaje+con+pastores.

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hubert Robert

D55.jpg

c03559cba84bdce6b3c76d2802a782b3.jpg

Spoiler

Hubert%2BRobert%2B%25281733-1808%2529%25

hubert_robert_-_le_pont_sur_le_torrent.j

woa_image_1-2.jpg

architectural-landscape-with-a-canal-178

663bf5e9921269c98269de68ce286477.jpg

Hubert_Robert_-_View_of_Ripetta_-_WGA196

• Azdeus likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just realized that I missed noting the 100 anniversary of the death of one of my favorite Pre-Raphelite artists, John William Watterhouse:

John_William_Waterhouse_-_The_Lady_of_Sh
One of his Lady of Shalott Paintings

Destiny_-_John_William_Waterhouse.jpg
Destiny

• algroth likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
Been on a Rodin exhibition some time ago and forgot to post about it. Anyway, by far my favourite of his works; the kiss:

Der_kuss.jpg

ro02.jpg

Don't know if you can tell, but their lips are actually connected.

Edited by Ben No.3, 13 May 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• algroth likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Delaware Art Museum is making a lot of their documents available online - http://www.delart.or...al_collections/

Included are correspondence from Pre-Raphelite painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti and correspondence and talks by and about Howard Pyle.  I believe they are still adding things to the digital collection (the Pyle section is currently only a couple of items).

• algroth likes this

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2910 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hubert Robert

Spoiler

Every one of those is gorgeous. Its a shame nowadays art like that is relegated to concept work or illustration while abstract post modern garbage gets all the attention

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hubert Robert

Spoiler

Every one of those is gorgeous. Its a shame nowadays art like that is relegated to concept work or illustration while abstract post modern garbage gets all the attention

Agreed on the former, not on the latter. Abstract and modernist/post-modern art have their well-earned place as do any other artstyle (I have posted a number of contemporary works in earlier posts for example which I would rank amidst my favorites), the problem is when it becomes so monopolistic in the contemporary scene that it relegates the more classical forms to what you describe. All the same, glad you enjoyed these!

Edited by algroth, 16 May 2017 - 09:06 PM.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2910 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Have you ever seen Art School Confidential? It pretty much sums up how I feel about art nowadays. If you haven't, its about a talented artist who goes to art school and his work is seen as pedestrian while everyone fawns over the work of an undercover cop who has never painted before in his life and is essentially producing children's artwork.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've seen it and read the inspiration for it -  a Daniel Clowes short comics story from his EIGHTBALL anthology series.  While I agree with some of the sentiment in it, I also agree with algroth that not all post-modernist or abstract or 'modern' art is bad (and I say that as someone whose dumped a lot of criticism on the likes of Duchamp and his collaborator for fostering bad ideas on art at the same time that they tried to challenge what art could be).

• algroth likes this

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Have you ever seen Art School Confidential? It pretty much sums up how I feel about art nowadays. If you haven't, its about a talented artist who goes to art school and his work is seen as pedestrian while everyone fawns over the work of an undercover cop who has never painted before in his life and is essentially producing children's artwork.

I have not seen it, but I get what you mean all the same - the Emperor's New Clothes argument and all that jazz. I can see how one can feel that way about abstract art but I for one find a lot to appreciate in experiences and ideas expressed in manners that stray from classical, hard-lined conventions; actually I would hope a fan of fantasy and a medium as broadly shunned as videogames and comic books to be more open about such means as well, given the bad rep any of these categories has received over time from those who believe they're only Harry Potter, Call of Duty and superheroes respectively. I mean, as with any such category there's a good and bad side to it, I certainly don't think all abstract artists are great and I do think some can feel quite fraudulent - but then, for every Hubert Robert there's also a dozen mediocre landscape artists painting the same city landmarks over and over so that some housewife can fill an empty wall in her dining room. There are contemporary artists who may be extremely simple in regards to their techniques while others (see Shahzia Sikander, Luis Felipe NoƩ or Duane Michals in this thread for example) to put a great degree of skill on display as well. In fact the scene is so varied that one cannot rightly point at any piece or art and say 'everything is like that': when you find yourself with a scene that incorporates everything from sculpting and painting to forging to creating electric circuits to manipulating photography to collage, all the way down to readymades and performance, it's pretty disingenuous to me to try and find a blanket statement with which to dismiss it all. In the end I value the effect and impact it has on me regardles of technical or virtuous display - to me the right technique or appropriation, however simple it may be, to convey rightly an idea or feeling is more worthwhile than any amount of skill placed on something that, ultimately, is little more than 'pretty'. That, I think, is worthy of its own place and praise in art.

Edited by algroth, 17 May 2017 - 02:48 PM.

algroth

algroth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've seen it and read the inspiration for it -  a Daniel Clowes short comics story from his EIGHTBALL anthology series.  While I agree with some of the sentiment in it, I also agree with algroth that not all post-modernist or abstract or 'modern' art is bad (and I say that as someone whose dumped a lot of criticism on the likes of Duchamp and his collaborator for fostering bad ideas on art at the same time that they tried to challenge what art could be).

I would also agree, but I'm curious as to what bad ideas you think Duchamp fostered. :D

Edited by algroth, 17 May 2017 - 02:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users