Devil of Caroc endings.

Greetings, everyone. How many endings are there for Devil of Caroc (PoE+WM1+WM2)? I know only about two (she reaches the ocean, she is killed). Is there a "good" ending for her? How does killing Harmke affect her ending, is there a direct correlation?

Thanks in advance for all the responses.

There's just two.  If she kills Harmke, she realises that getting revenge has done nothing for her, and walks the earth.  If she lets him go then she never has that realisation and carries on hunting the people who destroyed Cold Morn until she gets torn apart by a mob.  The killing Harmke ending isn't happy, but I find it kind of a satisfying note for her to go out on.

• 2 weeks later...

... am I the only one who finds the "slip beneath the waves" ending incredibly dark at second thought? There's nothing in there that implies her consciousness fades - basically her mind is imprisoned in a rusted-shut sarcophagus sinking to the bottom of the sea.

The mentioned "slowing of the world" may be a saving grace, but to me the whole thing still sounds horribly like being buried alive.

Edited by Regggler

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

... am I the only one who finds the "slip beneath the waves" ending incredibly dark at second thought? There's nothing in there that implies her consciousness fades - basically her mind is imprisoned in a rusted-shut sarcophagus sinking to the bottom of the sea.

The mentioned "slowing of the world" may be a saving grace, but to me the whole thing still sounds horribly like being buried alive.

Indeed. Other examples like the Steward of Caed Nua seem to imply that the soul lingers far longer than the body. Actually, I wouldn't want to hang around as a statue either. Sometimes I don't think these people think things through very thoroughly...

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

Oh, it gets even worse. See the descriptions of skeletons: "Given enough time, even the bones will be reduced to dust which the soul will still be bound to."

However, "soul" is not the same as consciousness in Pillars lore, is it? My reasoning comes from the description of the revenant: "Of the mind, only base instincts and the desire to feed remain." So an entity animated by a bound soul can slip into unconsciousness. This, depending on one's personal point of view, may be a sliver of hope for the Devil.

However, the souls bound to objects we know of (Steward of Caed Nua, Head Warden Ethelmoer) seem to endure in absolute clarity - which in turn doesn't bode well for the Devil.

Oh, it gets even worse. See the descriptions of skeletons: "Given enough time, even the bones will be reduced to dust which the soul will still be bound to."

However, "soul" is not the same as consciousness in Pillars lore, is it? My reasoning comes from the description of the revenant: "Of the mind, only base instincts and the desire to feed remain." So an entity animated by a bound soul can slip into unconsciousness. This, depending on one's personal point of view, may be a sliver of hope for the Devil.

However, the souls bound to objects we know of (Steward of Caed Nua, Head Warden Ethelmoer) seem to endure in absolute clarity - which in turn doesn't bode well for the Devil.

Hmmm... I guess that in the case of the skeleton, consciousness is lost, but the Soul can't return to the cycle. Pretty morbid.

Actually, the more you get into it, the messier animancy becomes. For example, why can the Devil and the skeletons actually move? I mean, they have joints, but they don't have muscles. Does the Soul move the "body" through sheer force of will? In that case, could the Steward of Head Warden move?

Maybe we'll get some answers when they introduce the talking weapon in Deadfire.

• Like 1

Actually, the more you get into it, the messier animancy becomes. For example, why can the Devil and the skeletons actually move? I mean, they have joints, but they don't have muscles. Does the Soul move the "body" through sheer force of will? In that case, could the Steward of Head Warden move?

Good point! If they were to go with the "tried and true" D&D approach to animating statues (iirc), then the steward and the head master should be able to move. Since these two don't, and the rusting of the Devil's body seems to prevent her from moving, I'll wager that bound souls can move things in ways these are physically able to move in the first place.

Which brings us to skeletons: No skin, no muscles, no tendons. This means their bones would be able to move in any direction. Crabwalking wildly-flailing skellies incoming :) Then we'd need more explanations in the style either of "Magic!" or "well, their former movement is imprinted on their non-mind".

But hey, rule of cool - no fantasy game without undead. And I do like the way they handled it in Pillars, what with the descent into mindlessness. No definitive answer here on how screwed the Devil is, though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In poe2 we will discovered that the steward of card nua is eothas under disguise