Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4929 posts

Old thread here.

Been thinking about doing a new playthrough - is siding with the rebels fun?

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3029 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The first time I played, I went largely with the Scarley Chorus (who I turned on late in the game). Second time I went with the rebel path and I thought that felt much more... I dunno, fleshed out and more like a "real game" somehow.

I think that it was a misstep though to provide a rebel path but not a path where you can be a supporter of Kyros up until the end.

• Oner likes this

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4929 posts

Rebel as in independent or with the factions of the Tiers?

As for supporting Kyros

Spoiler

• Hawke64 likes this

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5086 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Old thread here.

As fun as being the hero in any traditional RPG is, I suppose. The writing is bad though -- it's never properly established what your motivations could be to just up and ignore orders to start helping the enemy for no reason at all, really early in the story. Because of how poorly this branch is set up, I didn't realize it was an option until I read about it in some forum.

Once you get past that point, it fleshes out the different tiersmen groups more than the loyalist and anarchist paths, so it's not all bad.

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3029 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Rebel as in independent or with the factions of the Tiers?

As for supporting Kyros

Spoiler

Siding with the Tiersmen.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Rebels are apparently pretty fun, but as numbers says, the initial process of going with the rebels is nonsensical. The rebels clearly state all the way that they have no hope of winning - and at that point in the game, you as a lawbringer have no reason to think you have any kind of power to change the situation. (Basically, your stupid and suicidal decision only gets vindicated by the gigantic magical chosen one deus ex machina macguffin of the end of Act One.) You also need to show extreme sympathy to the rebels from the very start, to the point of dereliction of duty and simple stupidity in being so trusting of the enemy - without knowing very much about what kind of rebels they are, how they'd reciprocate your gestures, etc. 

I wouldn't really recommend the independent path. I'm sure most people choose it, either because they don't like the factions or because it's the standard 'have your cake and eat it too' munchkin RPG path, but it just means the rest of the game is "go here kill everybody". At least if you're with a faction it's, uh, "go here and kill half of them".

• Rosbjerg, FlintlockJazz, sorophx and 1 other like this

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I mostly sided with the Tiersmen because, uhm, screw Kyros who sends me to two bickering children to cast an edict that damn well kills me too.

Since Kyros obviously wants me dead as well I might as be as much of a pain in the ass as I can. ;)

• Harry Easter likes this

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4929 posts

Rebels are apparently pretty fun, but as numbers says, the initial process of going with the rebels is nonsensical. The rebels clearly state all the way that they have no hope of winning - and at that point in the game, you as a lawbringer have no reason to think you have any kind of power to change the situation. (Basically, your stupid and suicidal decision only gets vindicated by the gigantic magical chosen one deus ex machina macguffin of the end of Act One.) You also need to show extreme sympathy to the rebels from the very start, to the point of dereliction of duty and simple stupidity in being so trusting of the enemy - without knowing very much about what kind of rebels they are, how they'd reciprocate your gestures, etc. 

The video posted in the previous thread brushed on the subject lightly, that even if we try to work Kyros' rule and stretch it to be as lesser of an evil as we can - we are still actively supporting a fascist and oppressive regime.

One could argue, that the only morally (if we see such things as evil) right thing to do, is to actively fight against it, no matter the odds and consequences. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil... and all that.

• algroth likes this

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Some enterprising fellow on Reddit found this little gem.

https://www.sec.gov/...gpublishing.htm

From that page:

"Obsidian currently has four games in development: Pillars of Eternity II; Tyranny DLC; Pathfinder: Adventures; and an unannounced title with a major publisher."

Edited by Chairchucker, 24 March 2017 - 09:20 AM.

• ShadySands, Tale and Ohnoyoudient like this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The video posted in the previous thread brushed on the subject lightly, that even if we try to work Kyros' rule and stretch it to be as lesser of an evil as we can - we are still actively supporting a fascist and oppressive regime.

One could argue, that the only morally (if we see such things as evil) right thing to do, is to actively fight against it, no matter the odds and consequences. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil... and all that.

I haven't watched the video, but that kind of blinkered "FREEEEEDOM" romanticism is to real liberalism what scientism is to real science. I never finished the rebel playthrough, but from what I saw, I was glad that the game itself didn't descend to such crude "oh but we must fight for liberal democracy". 

I suppose it would make sense if you roleplayed a hardcore extremist dissident lawgiver who only signed up to Tunon to cause havoc and/or became extremely disaffected, and planned to use the rebels to cause trouble from the start - and then allowed his/her beliefs to override how incredibly insane, stupid, suicidal this would be strategically... and then turns out it works out because suddenly you are super magical power fairy.

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I haven't watched the video, but that kind of blinkered "FREEEEEDOM" romanticism is to real liberalism what scientism is to real science. I never finished the rebel playthrough, but from what I saw, I was glad that the game itself didn't descend to such crude "oh but we must fight for liberal democracy". 

I suppose it would make sense if you roleplayed a hardcore extremist dissident lawgiver who only signed up to Tunon to cause havoc and/or became extremely disaffected, and planned to use the rebels to cause trouble from the start - and then allowed his/her beliefs to override how incredibly insane, stupid, suicidal this would be strategically... and then turns out it works out because suddenly you are super magical power fairy.

The video speaks about the way in which we're forced to compromise and how the compromise we make in Tyranny is at ends to the romantic vision we hold of ourselves as the heroes who would fight against injustice and oppression were we put in that position. I'd say it's attacking what romantic notions we hold of ourselves as "good people" when in reality we're just as easy to bend and be made to fall in line by a greater authority, and isn't going about a vision of "freedom" as you put it exactly either.

Edited by algroth, 24 March 2017 - 10:22 AM.

• Ohnoyoudient likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Fair enough, I can't talk about a video I haven't seen, I can only talk about the plausibility of the PC going for rebels in Act 1.

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1369 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I really wish they had some additional content for the game, or a sequel. I really enjoyed it and I want more, but replaying the same for slightly different outcomes can be tiresome by now :p

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I really wish they had some additional content for the game, or a sequel. I really enjoyed it and I want more, but replaying the same for slightly different outcomes can be tiresome by now :p

Well, if the link I posted is to be believed, it certainly seems like you'll be getting your wish.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3803 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Old thread here.

If you are interested in DLC, you might as well wait as they are working on new content.

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4929 posts

Hmm, has that been confirmed?

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2362 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hmmm? Tyranny DLC? That would be...****ing spectacular, I *really* enjoyed this game!

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1840 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

They will most likely announce it during the Paradox Convention or whatever it is called.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3803 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not officially, but there will be portrait DLC and conent DLC. Found thanks to people on the net doing some searching in the Steam database and such.

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1924 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Here it comes: https://forum.parado...ounced.1008276/

Tyranny-PortraitPack-1200px.jpg

We have some exciting things lined up for the world of Tyranny going forward!

To tease your pallet the Overlord Kyros will first bring some new faces to all the Fatebinders out there! Our new character Portrait Pack releases on Steam on April 4th at $3.99, what comes next, 
you will have to wait and see.

Edited by Infinitron, 30 March 2017 - 08:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users