RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

KotOR's combat is turn-based pretending to be "real-time". What it winds up being is really messy, unstructured, clunky lookin turn-based combat. I hate when developers try to disguise turn-based combat as RTwP or do some kind of hybrid (Arcanum). Commit fully to one or the other. Either actually make the combat real-time or make proper, structured turn-based that doesn't wear a cheap disguise.

Both RTwP and ATB can clunky substitutes for turn style combat.

I found KOTOR's combat clunky, but that's more due to me not taking the time to actually pay attention to the various attacks/abilities.  I'd just spam the same thing over and over and hope my enemy died before I did.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Mass Effect style combat for a KotOR remake, especially if it's going to be in first person.  Make it actiony FPS combat and allow me to give general commands to my companions (fight defensively, be aggressive, go ahead of me, stay back, etc.) but otherwise let the AI control their individual abilities.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I found KOTOR's combat clunky, but that's more due to me not taking the time to actually pay attention to the various attacks/abilities.  I'd just spam the same thing over and over and hope my enemy died before I did.

That was my default strategy for every encounter.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Big crowds of enemies?  FORCE STORM! FORCE STORM!  errr.... stupid thing recharging and I'm losing health .... FORCE STORM!

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Big crowds of enemies?  FORCE STORM! FORCE STORM!  errr.... stupid thing recharging and I'm losing health .... FORCE STORM!

Yeah, that's not a bad thing.

Unpopular opinion here - Give me the ability to spam my abilities rather than having to rest to use it again.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Does E3 even matter any more?  There are so many conventions and trade shows these days, it seems like there's one every month, for video games/tech alone.  Plus, every year it seems more and more companies eschew E3 and just do their own conference kind of sort of close to the timeframe of E3, but not actually at E3.  Does anyone still care about E3?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

PS4/XB gamers care. PC gamers don't care (not like there's a reason to since pc format is an afterthought for all the good games anyway). Nintendo fanbase? They're in the middle. Nintnedo always has a couple surprises but no where near Sony of course.

In short, pc gamers: no. Console gamers: yes.

I'll be watching it to see what goes on sale or releases simultaneous to the event ;D Mostly I just like to watch developers talk about their games or upcoming projects. It's interesting to me to see who is passionate or who is just.... there.

Most times I think E3 is blown out of proportion, however, there's been a couple years that E3 has been amazing. E3 has been better these past few years than they have ever been... with splitting events, side competitions, sales and so on. Reveals and developers are getting more passionate it seems.

Can't say I care much for Battlefront 2 yet it's probably going to be one of the biggest games at E3 so there's and I hate that - when E3 peeps are hyping up a game you don't care for and spend more time on something then when you watch floor videos on YouTube you see other games that didn't get a presentation and you think "Wtf... why didn't this one get talked about??!" So that's been my reaction alot of the times too.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

E3 has been on a steady decline since they downsized it substantially a decade or so ago. They reversed that decision pretty quick, but the sky hadn't fallen and alternatives had been found in the interim so it never reclaimed anything near preeminence. Bad case of not knowing that while their proximal audience was trade people their ultimate audience was the average gamer who buys the games and read the reviews of those trade people; and not giving them what they wanted meant that other people did.

Throw some stun grenades for good measure.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well E3 is far better now than it was in the 90's and in the early 2000's. What was the greatest attraction then? Booth babes with boobies. Now we have actual games and actual presentation instead of being held at a venue that looks like trash :p

The main difference is that pc was the ring leader back then and now consoles have taken over. Still I have to give credit where it's due and they seem to be doing everything right now, at least. I still remember when we had E3's showing games like Summoner, Quake, Unreal and Max Payne but nobody cared and it was avoided. Then the same year we saw Tokyo Game Show and everything was impressed. Fast forward to present day and E3 is pretty much the superbowl of gaming. The vast majority of gamers will tune in to watch it live, instead of looking up on YouTube later when that's more convienent.

PC will have a good floor though next year, only thanks to Steam/Valve's Direct which will give pc some awesome exclusives published by Valve, only available through Steam. So that way, pc gamers won't feel left out.

As long as I see some Spider-Man for PS4 this year, I'll be happy but if I see another Batman game.... I'll be even happier! <3

Just look at how far we've come though...

(1995) The very first E3:

(2016) Last year's E3:

I watched few E3 streams in previous years, but anything except SONY, was so bland and boring. You do not need to watch Ubisoft show at all, for example. Just write on a paper few times ICONIC and EPIC, put it on wall and look at it for one hour. It's as much entertaining as all their E3 shows, which I've seen.

Sony on other hand, has always made very interesting show to watch, even when it presented games, which I do not care at all. And this year, they promised, they would bring more Japanese games to Playstation brand again, so I am curious which kind of games it will be, and if they will cooperate even with smaller japanese companies to bring more localized games to the market.

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

E3 is the reason I own a PS4... sadly, after E3 is finished I go back to playing my pc and my PS4 sits in my closet. Still, E3 makes me proud to own a statistic of PS4 owners and Sony deserves that much from me as they make it entertaining to watch.

Microsoft has had some equally impressive shows, in fact I'll go as far as to say that it goes back and forth between Somy and Microsoft as far as who had the best show. Nintendo, very much like PC has been an afterthought at E3 since Gamecube died. I doubt the they'll have anything truly amazing this year. No Metroid, so on so forth.