Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
820 replies to this topic

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
Is playing Clear Skies and Call of Pripyat for the first time better modded or unmodded?

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6704 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Is playing Clear Skies and Call of Pripyat for the first time better modded or unmodded?

I would definitely use Real Weapon Names and Atmosfear for both of them.  Neither mod changes game balance in any measurable way, but both make the experience more immersive.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3524 posts

Yeah, some light modding is required for those games.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1458 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

For Shadow of Chernobyl, you should at least install the ZRP (Zone Reclamation Project) - it's the giant conglomeration of bugfixes and minor features and changes that the Stalker Complete mod based itself on and (rather unrightfully) gained a lot of popularity for, except Stalker Complete is super outdated at this point. For Clear Sky, I don't really like Clear Sky and can't really comment.

• Azdeus likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1458 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

@Call of Chernobyl: I tried that for about 10 minutes before uninstalling. My idea of a decent S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod was not to make the game into one giant warzone, which is what it felt like immediately after starting, with attack helicopters flying around and giant battles occurring seemingly at all times. Did not like.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

If you're going for Clear Sky you really need to find some bugfix mods at the very least, that games faction wars always snafu'd my game. Every other time I tried to enter a new area it wrecked something for me. I haven't played Clear Sky in ages though and I can't remember any of the mod names.

@Call of Chernobyl: I tried that for about 10 minutes before uninstalling. My idea of a decent S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod was not to make the game into one giant warzone, which is what it felt like immediately after starting, with attack helicopters flying around and giant battles occurring seemingly at all times. Did not like.

I've been playing it for an hour or three so far, and I'm having a blast. I haven't really seen any really warzone'esque behaviour yet, but there are alot of bandits. I had to fight my way through a checkpoint to get from the Bar to the junkyard to hit a bandit camp there, was a blast even though I was outgunned and outnumbered. Granted I had had a couple of glasses of rum by then wich might have influenced me. ^^'

I guess you had bad luck with random spawn perhaps?

The one thing I haven't really liked so far is how barebones the storymode is, you get two missions when you wake up and that is it. I'd have liked something more really, even though I know what is up with those quests.

Edit; Also, the Heli's can be disabled in the options menu.

Edited by Azdeus, 23 March 2017 - 03:21 AM.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1885 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I just want Amplitude studios home so that I can hug them all repeatedly.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2852 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Brian Fargo calling it a day after Wasteland 3.

http://www.eurogamer...steland-3-ships

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 612 posts

Interesting analysis of a little gem from Ice-Pick Lodge:

It's a game that has a special place in my heart for the reason that playing it helped me kick a bout of depression from a creative rut. Hope you guys enjoy!

• Rosbjerg likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6704 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

He's definitely put in his time in the video game business.  Can't blame a guy for wanting to relax and enjoy his life.  I'd retire right now, if I could afford to, and I'm significantly younger than Brian Fargo.

• Mamoulian War, Azdeus, marelooke and 1 other like this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8554 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

He's definitely put in his time in the video game business.  Can't blame a guy for wanting to relax and enjoy his life.  I'd retire right now, if I could afford to, and I'm significantly younger than Brian Fargo.

He mentioned that he started back when Ken and Roberta Williams were running Sierra, and it reminded me that they basically sail around the world on a sweet yacht and enjoy retirement. I hope I am so lucky some day (although I want a sweet RV, not a yacht.) 

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3035 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Planescape: Torment supposedly enhanced edition being hinted at by Beamdog? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1357 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hey folks, not sure if people here had the game on their radar, but Battle Brothers got a full release last evening. It's a fun sandbox with RPG elements, but mostly trying to stay alive as a wandering band of Mercenaries.

A bit RNG heavy, but with enough tools to help you. Some high difficulty tasks with higher rewards, you'll need to accept that you'll lose some of your vets and equipment.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/

I fully recommend this to any TB Combat lover. It's definitely worth its money.

• Leferd and rjshae like this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

He mentioned that he started back when Ken and Roberta Williams were running Sierra, and it reminded me that they basically sail around the world on a sweet yacht and enjoy retirement. I hope I am so lucky some day (although I want a sweet RV, not a yacht.)

Amphibious RV, 'nuff said.
  • Hurlshot, ShadySands, Raithe and 1 other like this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5282 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

StarCraft remaster unveiled, and original SD version becomes free-as-in-beer.

• Malcador likes this

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1813 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Planescape: Torment supposedly enhanced edition being hinted at by Beamdog? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Oh dear... leave Torment alone, leave it alone! They failed with their BG"3" and now they are going fater an another Black Isle classic? Damn hacks.

• Labadal, marelooke and Tuth like this

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1813 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'd retire immediately if I had the money to do so and I'm 30 years younger than Fargo. But then again I'm not creating anything else except tears and misery.

• SadExchange and Azdeus like this

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1885 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh dear... leave Torment alone, leave it alone! They failed with their BG"3" and now they are going fater an another Black Isle classic? Damn hacks.

Meh, Planescape'll remain what it's always been, more people will just be able to play it. And perhaps they'll have the good sense to make reading text in that game a wee bit easier. They probably won't. Eh, one can always hope.

kanisatha

kanisatha

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Meh, Planescape'll remain what it's always been, more people will just be able to play it. And perhaps they'll have the good sense to make reading text in that game a wee bit easier. They probably won't. Eh, one can always hope.

Yep. Quite so. Really getting tired of the "I don't want/like it, so nobody else should have it" attitude of some people. Beamdog is doing awesome work, and I'll keep giving them lots of my money.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1885 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Beamdog is doing awesome work

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, if nothing else, Beamdog has made sure that new people to the games can enjoy them with a bunch of changes for modern audience while not touching the originals, so everybody wins in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users