RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

So that rumor on a new Wolfenstein appearing at E3...

Do you guys think it's true?!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It's the only chance I will give my money to beths again. Haven't done that since DOOM.  :biggrin:

But Prey is good.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It's the only chance I will give my money to beths again. Haven't done that since DOOM.  :biggrin:

That's not a long time then.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

But Prey is good.

It sure is worth buying but I hate Bethesda's practice of turning franchises into what they aren't so I'll stick with whatever ain't published by them unless it's something from beyond the stars.

That's not a long time then.

I double-checked right now and I'm pretty sure I didn't mention any sort of race or challenge.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

But rather, I think his point was that there's been like maybe one game in between DOOM and Prey, which would be Dishonored 2? So yeah, not much of a benchmark yet...:p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Thanks, I do what I can. :p

There have been 4 games I wanted to try but didn't:

-Duke Nukem 20th Anniversary Edition

-Bulletstorm Full Clip Edition

-Dishonored 2

-Prey

Both Gearbox Software & Bethesda are on my blacklist.

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Ah. I don't think I've bought or played a Bethesda game since New Vegas.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I look forward to indie games being announced at E3 that aren't on the list. I have really enjoyed indies these last 2 years quite more than I have any AAA title.
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

But Prey is good.

It sure is worth buying but I hate Bethesda's practice of turning franchises into what they aren't so I'll stick with whatever ain't published by them unless it's something from beyond the stars.

But it is really good.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

There are a lot of arguably "really good" games out there - that's hardly a convincing point to buy a game from a crappy publisher.

• Like 1

I would hardly say they are a crappy publisher. They struggled at first, but they have clearly been a good partner for both Arkane and id, as those two have been releasing fantastic title after fantastic title.

I get why someone would be upset with the direction they are pushing Fallout and Prey. But these were also both dead IP's that were resurrected. Personally I am more annoyed with Prey, where they totally changed the story and universe, than Fallout. But they are also in the business of selling games, and there is no doubt they are finding a broad audience for their titles.

I don't feel too strongly about Bethesda as a publisher either way, actually. The "crappy" comment is from the perspective of someone who feels more strongly about it than I - I'm not that knowledgeable of their business practices*, so it's hard for me to comment. Personally, the fact that I feel that they're a pretty poor developer is actually what pushes me away from their games. I don't know too much about Prey yet, but I have very little love - none, actually - for the rest of Bethesda's games, including the recent efforts of both Arkane Studios and id Software.

*...which is usually more the onus I judge publishers by, at least the more major ones.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I would hardly say they are a crappy publisher. They struggled at first, but they have clearly been a good partner for both Arkane and id, as those two have been releasing fantastic title after fantastic title.

I get why someone would be upset with the direction they are pushing Fallout and Prey. But these were also both dead IP's that were resurrected. Personally I am more annoyed with Prey, where they totally changed the story and universe, than Fallout. But they are also in the business of selling games, and there is no doubt they are finding a broad audience for their titles.

and that is part of the problem, kinda like Korn. I love their old hardcore stuff but I can't stand that new pop sh*t. Yeah they sell more now, but old fans are disappointed. Quantity usually lowers quality. Tons of people listen to pop while its generally considered by people who understand music as garbage. Sad that same is happening to games recently

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

and that is part of the problem, kinda like Korn. I love their old hardcore stuff but I can't stand that new pop sh*t. Yeah they sell more now, but old fans are disappointed. Quantity usually lowers quality. Tons of people listen to pop while its generally considered by people who understand music as garbage. Sad that same is happening to games recently

To be fair, both DOOM and, even moreso, Prey are possibly the most oldschool AAA titles released in the last... Well almost decade really. They're very clearly designed for people who used to listen to the old hardcore stuff as opposed to the fans of the pop. That could actually be said about the new Wolfenstein games too to an extent, altho they are designed to also be much more digestible for listeners of pop.

Personally, the fact that I feel that they're a pretty poor developer is actually what pushes me away from their games.

When it comes to games Bethesda published, only Dishonored 2 and Rage are not technically proficient. Everything else is stellar, perfomance and functionality-wise. It's only Bethesda themselves who are poor developers. (and even that is arguable, there's a reason why their games are a buggy mess - which doesn't excuse them in face of the consumer, obviously) Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

I can agree on Doom, probaly, I didn't played it. But my reaction was towards Fallout series

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm not really sure that the Fallout series isn't hardcore anymore, though, I just don't think it is what I am looking for in a game. They chose to go nuts with the building and defense aspect and move away from the skill and character development that I loved. By all accounts it is a superior shooter and action game than in the past, but again that isn't what I want from Fallout. They also continue to make fantastic exploration simulators, which eat up a lot of hours. In the end I didn't like Fallout 4, but I can hardly fault them for going after a different audience, and I will always be glad that we got New Vegas out of the revival.

edit: The Wolfenstien stuff is fantastic, btw. Again, not really my cup of tea, but those games have a ton of style.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 3

Yep, audience changes. Things one might have found deep and challenging is now tedious. Good example for me was a discussion recently about reagents in WoW of all things, heh.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's what I thought about FO4 as well. See, I have a love/hate relationship with Skyrim and FO4. Both games have a ton of problems but FO4 seems very unfocused and like they tried to do too much with it.

The basebuilding and collecting crafting items kills the game for me. If I want a building game, I'll take Terraria or Minecraft. The FPS mechanics are tuned better this time around so shooting enemies is much more satisfying and engaging but some people hate how VAT's doesn't stop time completely, instead just slowing time forcing the player to make decisions in an alotted time frame. The dialouge system is rigged lol There's 4 or 5 options but instead of saying different, they all say the same thing but in different words or phrasing. It's an action game in disguise if an rpg really.

Honestly, I ended up enjoying Prey a lot more than I did Bioshock - Prey actually feels like the spiritual successor System Shock deserved, whereas Bioshock was ... Just a thing with a twist in the middle. Then again, while I did enjoy it, I was never particularly impressed with Bioshock as it didn't inherit the qualities I enjoyed the most about System Shock games, whereas Prey nailed them.

• Like 2