Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Poll] Throwing weapons in PoE 2

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Messier-31

Messier-31

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1874 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why not a forum poll?

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1112 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I would love to see throwing stars, considering that Josh and Kaz said that some of the fashion for outfits was not only inspired by African wear but Asian styles as well. I would love to have a ninja-like character with throwing stars ;)

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 465 posts

I miss the unique ammo types we had with the Infinity Engine. That made it feel like I had to do some logistics planning. Now it's just pew, pew, pew...  :cat:

I miss the idea, but I don't miss the hassle they caused. The problem is that I don't know if one can have one without the other, which leaves me kinda conflicted on the whole issue. Maybe that's why I always go either magic on melee :p

But on the topic, yeah, why not. Throwing weapons might be neat especially for some monk sub-classes. I don't really have any strong feelings one way or the other on whether to go with the unlimited stack approach or a limited stack size, although for a game where combat forms the vast majority of the content, the unlimited stack might be a more reasonable solution. I have no personal stakes on it in the short term, as I already know that my first character will be a big-ass Paladin with a big-ass two handed sword.

But now that I think about it, there could also be some sort of magical 'boomerang' ability that you can use to throw your melee weapon in order to perform a ranged attack. Not for paladins, but maybe for some multi-class Fighter/Wizards, maybe some spell like "Bob's bouncing boomerang - Throw your melee weapon at your enemies and magically guide it to perform x attacks, bouncing to y enemies before returning to your hand" or something.

Roda

Roda

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would love to see javalin, axe and throwing knives in poe 2. I dont care about ammo, but it should have enough talents, classes, abilities, etc so we could create a character around the "throwing weapon" concep . Otherwise would get old so soon.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3737 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In Battle Brothers, Javelins (or Bows) have a per encounter use, but replenishes between combat (You have "Ammunition Resources"). It works really well. IIRC Bows and Crossbows have 10/10 uses and Javelins 3/3.

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't like throwing weps cos the obvious: how unrealistic it is carrying XX amount of axes or whatever. However I wouldn't mind them as abilities in the current system; throw as many as your power source allows which is not many. And I'm indifferent about ranged wep ammunitions tho it makes me stack lots more than I'd need so I think its better to have Stormcaller rather than electric arrows. Would be cool if other elements'callers also show up in Deadfire.

• rjshae likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7654 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Like "Pukecaller"? ;)

Juodas Varnas

Juodas Varnas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

If it was up to me, i probably wouldn't add throwing weapons per say, but work in those mechanics (from Tyranny, i mean) into the magical implements and magic staves (which aren't really a thing in Pillars, but whatever). Ranged attacks at range, but switch to melee up close.

Though, to be honest, i think 'throwing' weapons could be a cool ability for Fighters or Rogues. Like an ability to chuck your mainhand weapon like a boomerang (or a lightsaber, eh?) or throwing like multiple daggers in a cone as a Rogue.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 06 December 2017 - 05:07 AM.

DigitalCrack

DigitalCrack

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It was suggested in an older thread but basically make throwing weapons melee that have a consumable "throw weapon" ability. So basically they would be slightly less melee capable but come with 3-4 throws per encounter. Maybe make that its proficiency ability adds bleeding to a successfull throw hit or some such.

Aramintai

Aramintai

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Aramintai
  • Steam:Aramintai
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

How about throwing weapons as per encounter abilities? Some classes *cough*fighter*cough* are in desperate need of more abilities since some passives are gonna be duped to talents.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4669 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

How about a Wizard spell to summon a stream of thrown weapons? Force stars, daggers, javelins, and axes.

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Like "Pukecaller"? ;)

I don't get it  :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic