Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I never finished Pillars of Eternity.

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

eselle28

eselle28

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ah yes, the ole "one last thing" and "Ill say the same things but backwards!". :facepalm:

All opinions are welcome, whether others agree or not, as long as they are within the forum rules. We ask that posters try to get along and if a topic becomes too charged for you participate in a civilized manner, then to step away and/or use the tools at your disposal to fix the problem. :yes:

So that's where you step in and what matters to you, after all the many offensive things that have been said. Okay then.

• Varana likes this

Messier-31

Messier-31

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1367 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

SO, SOMEONE DIDN'T FINISH PILLARS, EH?

I didn't finish D:OS, was so hyped to play it, but couldn't even finish the first map (Cyseal). Maybe I'll give it a go again sometime, but to be honest I'm replaying Pillars now, because that's how awesome this game is for me. Yeah.

Edited by Messier-31, Yesterday, 05:26 AM.

• Karkarov, Bill Gates' Son, Heijoushin and 4 others like this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I didn't finish Pillars either when I got to Twin Elms. After that, I finished it, because the end was after Twin Elms. So I didn't finish it before I did. :wowey:

• gogocactus and tinysalamander like this

Regggler

Regggler

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I didn't finish D:OS, was so hyped to play it, but couldn't even finish the first map (Cyseal). Maybe I'll give it a go again sometime, but to be honest I'm replaying Pillars now, because that's how awesome this game is for me. Yeah.

Smooth :)

D:OS gets a lot tighter after Cyseal, which really was "a bit of" a slog. I have to admit I didn't get through the whole game, either, but I did have a lot of fun at later chapters, and even in Cyseal once I got used to the pacing. But hey, I managed to read the whole of the Silmarillion, too, so I might just have high pain tolerance.

Replaying Pillars at the moment as well. No pain tolerance needed, in my case.

• Karkarov likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5100 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So that's where you step in and what matters to you, after all the many offensive things that have been said. Okay then.

You don't even know what you don't know. These matters are being discussed in the background and posters have been contacted. Other posters dropping their two cents, for several pages, doesn't affect anything. Again, please make use of the Ignore or Report functions if you have a concern. Barfing into the thread accomplishes nothing.

Quillon

Quillon

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 314 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

@Ninjamestari

I'm too lazy to follow or think much about RL politics but I hate extremists either way. That said I don't see the influences of extreme views on Pillars.(Where as just glancing at Mass Effect: Andromeda waters my eyes with that shiny glossy frostbite x extreme agendas)

Josh seems to be a leftist but I don't think/don't see his views affecting his work much. I think he created this system out of necessity, rather than for equality. He says he watched too many people wanting to enjoy IE games but somehow failing to do so, he wanted to create a system which is easy to get into and hard to master, whether he succeeded or not is another matter. I am one of those people who couldn't enjoy IE games, I tried several times but they are too hard to get into and require too much pre-knowledge or maybe I'm too lazy etc. so I perfectly understand why he did it and at least it worked on me; I had no problem getting into Pillars, I had other problems with the game which are more related to this thread that I wrote about 2 years ago: https://forums.obsid...-game-so-bland/

He created the system that you accuse of being created out of equality agenda and also wrote Pallegina that you give as an example how it should be handled.

He seems to be more interested in and talks about magic classes most of the time but when I played the game I saw melee classes are just as much fleshed out, thankfully. 

etc etc. Overall very BALANCED dude :)

and watch your steps or else:

12nksd.jpg

• Karkarov, Bill Gates' Son, Messier-31 and 2 others like this

eselle28

eselle28

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm quite aware I'm an Other Poster. I did use the Report function.

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2601 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah. It looks like a cool game but it just slows down at that point and RL stuff gets in the way of playing video games. I'm just now replaying Pillars for the first time and it seems a lot smoother than before. Maybe I'll quit after the riot but so far I'm enjoying myself.

Varana

Varana

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
You're not required to boost strength on your Watcheresses. You can dump Might all you want if that floats your boat ... err, "enhances your immersion".

Sure, that's disadvantageous for a mage in Pillars. But really, just generally, I wish people would sometimes get off those same old tropes. "Wizards have to frail 'cause reasons"*, "no gunpowder in my fantasy world!", "dwarves have to like beer and axes and hate horses and elves!", and all that stuff.
For a genre that is named for fantasy, Fantasy's pretty devoid of fantasy. Knights in shining armour, *yawn*. (Or its modern incarnation, knights in dirty armour.) There's so much more than just "we pretend to be Western European Middle Ages" that is your typical fantasy stuff.

* Granted, PoE is pretty inconsistent on that front.

Edit: Ah, yeah, topic.
I finished PoE, and people really should give White March a shot.

Edited by Varana, Yesterday, 07:16 AM.

• Regggler, gogocactus, JerekKruger and 2 others like this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4415 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I finished PoE once, but keep getting delayed in starting a new PoE + White March game by other games.  Hopefully I'll get at least one complete run through the game and both expansions before PoE2 comes out.

Messier-31

Messier-31

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1367 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

But really, just generally, I wish people would sometimes get off those same old tropes. "Wizards have to frail 'cause reasons"*, "no gunpowder in my fantasy world!", "dwarves have to like beer and axes and hate horses and elves!", and all that stuff.
For a genre that is named for fantasy, Fantasy's pretty devoid of fantasy. Knights in shining armour, *yawn*. (Or its modern incarnation, knights in dirty armour.) There's so much more than just "we pretend to be Western European Middle Ages" that is your typical fantasy stuff.

Because this is the most popular and obvious thing associated with the term "fantasy".

Western is in 99% cases set in the Wild West of 19th century USA. Less then 1% is set somewhere else (there even was one movie set in Polish mountains).

Edited by Messier-31, Yesterday, 08:44 AM.

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1550 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You're not required to boost strength on your Watcheresses. You can dump Might all you want if that floats your boat ... err, "enhances your immersion".

Sure, that's disadvantageous for a mage in Pillars. But really, just generally, I wish people would sometimes get off those same old tropes. "Wizards have to frail 'cause reasons"*, "no gunpowder in my fantasy world!", "dwarves have to like beer and axes and hate horses and elves!", and all that stuff.

* Granted, PoE is pretty inconsistent on that front.

Edit: Ah, yeah, topic.
I finished PoE, and people really should give White March a shot.

Funnily enough, the stereotypical Fantasy Setting as portrayed by D&D and others, is not very Middle Ages at all.  As one person I saw put it very aptly, "Fantasy aims for medieval but misses by a large margin".  Most of what we take for granted for being in Fantasy isn't anywhere near medieval, the societies depicted in them are nothing like it (the economy especially, and I'm not talking about the adventurer economy issue at all but the fact that people have money at all and that there are shops) and thats before we get to things like rapiers, full plate, etc.  Stereotypical Fantasy Setting 101 is a hodge podge of many different cultures and eras, and has no real bearing on any authentic historical setting at all.  Just sayin'. :)

• Varana, Messier-31, Regggler and 1 other like this

Abel

Abel

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 355 posts

Anyway, i fail to see how dropping strenght of female characters a bit compared to male characters and "fantasy tropes" have anything to do with each other. I do the same in Fallout. By the way, i, personally, have nothing against tropes or clichés. It's all about the way you use them. Use them badly, it will be boring. Use them wisely, it will be great. I think it works for cinema or books, too. Using clichés does not necessarily means being lazy.

• Jozape and Ninjamestari like this

White Andromeda

White Andromeda

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Steam:White Andromeda
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

New flash: most players never finished PoE. That's true of many other cRPGs as well.

https://www.theguard...-games-any-more

(I did finish once, then skipped the end game on the second play through.)

Maybe i'm some rare kind of person who finished PoE 1 only once, played 333 hours and... I love all things which i 've seen in the game. The funniest moment is that i'm a new flash. Didn't play Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment and became fan of Obsidian only after Pillar's walkthrough this February. However i can say that i played PoE Intermittently, i can playing another game for a month and after that return to Pillars. But i don't think it's the game's blame, it's the blame of my habits of action gameplay which i've seen in every Action/RPG. In spite of this, i finished the game and PoE became one of my favourite game series. I can say that Obsidian do their job great, despite the problems Pillars 1 has(And which game does not have them?). They led a lot of fresh blood to Classic RPG and made these people love this kind of gameplay. I hope people who can't stand PoE 1 will fall in love from DEADFIRE. Obsidian are talented team, and they do their best to make the best game for us, guys)) Anyway, the second game will be more polishing, more intersting and, of course, better.

Decadency

Decadency

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

First time i've finished Pillars of Eternity on normal difficulty but with expert mode without DLC's and was skipping much content and it was really hard cause i wanted to finish it faster. In Twin Elms I was already tired of the game. That was a hard ending (my party was too low level for the last fight). Later I've played Tyranny and it was awesome. I've rushed through all of the content with Path of The Damned and loved it. And then I've started Pillars of Eternity again to play White March's with the hardest difficulty making every single quest and reading every book. Now I see how awesome is this game and it became one of my favorites.

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 298 posts

Funnily enough, the stereotypical Fantasy Setting as portrayed by D&D and others, is not very Middle Ages at all.  As one person I saw put it very aptly, "Fantasy aims for medieval but misses by a large margin".  Most of what we take for granted for being in Fantasy isn't anywhere near medieval, the societies depicted in them are nothing like it (the economy especially, and I'm not talking about the adventurer economy issue at all but the fact that people have money at all and that there are shops) and thats before we get to things like rapiers, full plate, etc.  Stereotypical Fantasy Setting 101 is a hodge podge of many different cultures and eras, and has no real bearing on any authentic historical setting at all.  Just sayin'. :)

People often don't realize that medieval times weren't *that* backwater economically, especially when we start to speak about the 11th and the 12th century. People actually did have money in those times and they did have 'shops'. A village smithy was still more likely to produce equipment at demand rather than stockpile it around for sale though. Hell they even had banking back then. The late middle ages don't really differ that much from the renaissance in economic terms.

• Karkarov and Bill Gates' Son like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users