Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect Andromeda

well bang OK? Space Jesus Decline Culpa

• Please log in to reply
483 replies to this topic

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Kallo (salarian) was dead on.

• kirottu and Azdeus like this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16950 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"They made it a part of the culture war already. It's like the Ghostbusters reboot. Half the world is pointing the finger going 'look, a woman who is bad at something' she must have gotten her job because of her superior social skills, I feel threatened."

Lie.  People aren't attacking her because she is a 'woman'. Where was the outrage when these same complainers and BIO bashers were attacking male BIO developers? Oh yeah, there was none. But too many SJW Nazis still view women as fragile little babies. Talk about sexism.

Saying a woman sucks at her job is not sexism any more than saying a man sucks at his job is sexism. Nobody shed a tear for that BIO producer who got attacked like a month ago. Nobody whined about the hammering that Gaider got. Nobody goes 'poor little Sawyer getting a mean comment again'.

But, criticize a woman.  OUTRAGE!

LMAO

As for actual topic: L0L nu BIO.

This is the first 'major' BIO game I haven't preordered since BG series (and only because   preordering was not common and I certainly wasn't into it). I might not even get it in its first week of release. So so sad how BIO has crumbled.

ME:A simply does not look that good. At best, it'll be 'playable' and 'funish'. At worst, it could be garbage at the level of the worst crap ever.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6857 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Kind of want to get the game just to see how bad it is, based on all this fuss :p
  • Volourn, kirottu and Azdeus like this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6636 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I've watched some Twitch streams and I just can't get over how bad the animations are.  I mean, they're not Morrowind bad, but for 2017 they are AWFUL.  It would be one thing if this came from some obscure little studio working on 1/10th budget, but this is coming from BioWare backed by EA's virtually unlimited resources.  How is it possible it's this bad?

Also, the dialogue I've seen is laughably bad, even by BioWare's standards, not just the dialogue itself, but also the delivery.

The game, as a whole might be good, even great, who knows, but I can't get past how unbelievably bad the production value is.  It's alarmingly bad.

Edited by Keyrock, 19 March 2017 - 02:18 PM.

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 180 posts

Whoa... the facial and mouth animations are awfulIn some scenes, I think the animations are actually worst than the facial/mouth animations in the first Mass Effect game, which came out ten years ago.

WTF happened to BioWare??  Did BioWare replace everyone who had worked on the old Mass Effect games with new hires straight out of college or something?

EDIT: even the quality of the dialogues and voice acting have regressed from previous Mass Effect games.  WTF happened?!?

Edited by ktchong, 19 March 2017 - 03:18 PM.

• Jozape likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

More or less, yes. The game is not made by BioWare proper (i.e. the Edmonton company), but rather BioWare Montreal, a sub-company formed in 2009 to make crappy DLC. This is their first game. Yes, EA thought that handing over one of its biggest franchises to a brand new developer was actually a good idea.

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 180 posts

More of the abomination:

Even the trailer has plenty of terrible animations:

Edited by ktchong, 19 March 2017 - 04:08 PM.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2305 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Finally got around to trying the multiplayer and I think it's safe to say that I'll never touch that again

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 180 posts

They made it a part of the culture war already. It's like the Ghostbusters reboot. Half the world is pointing the finger going 'look, a woman who is bad at something' she must have gotten her job because of her superior social skills, I feel threatened. 

The other going 'Freeedoooom' I will buy Mass Effect Andromeda and promote equal rights by doing so.

FYI, social justice warriors are also angry at Mass Defect: Andromeda for a different reason:

Forget about the culture war.  People should not buy Mass Defect: Andromeda because it is a bad, poorly-made game.  The quality of BioWare games has been in a gradual decline for some years.  Mass Defect: Andromeda is a new lowest point for BioWare games.  People should stop buying BioWare games, but not for any idealogical or cultural reason.  People should boycott BioWare games because we should not encourage BioWare from making worse and worse games.  Customers should not allow BioWare to continue to leverage its brand and past reputation to exploit fan loyalty into buying bad games.

Edited by ktchong, 19 March 2017 - 06:50 PM.

• Volourn and Mamoulian War like this

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6392 posts

Haha I thought for sure Cora swang the other way

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

As I said in the comment section of that same video, wait until Nexus gets ahold of the game. One of the first mods to come out for any BioWare game are the "everyone is bisexual" mods.

• Azdeus likes this

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 180 posts

PewDiePie on Mass Defect: Andromeda, "Where did it go wrong? What happened? WTF?"

PewDiePie has 50+ million subscibers.  When he bashes the game, it will impact the sales.

Mass Defect: Andromeda is already a MEME, even other game developers are rubbing it in:

Edited by ktchong, 19 March 2017 - 07:16 PM.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5002 posts

So the game isn't even out yet but you can already assure us that it's a "bad, poorly made game" and "a new low point for Bioware"?

Whew, it's a good thing that I heed the advice of internet randos with obvious chips on their shoulder. Thanks dude, you saved me some money.

Edited by 213374U, 19 March 2017 - 10:54 PM.

• Oner likes this

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3217 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is there even any reason to have this father Ryder dying thing going on? Couldn't they just make the player the "pathfinder" right from the beginning, making the start of the game much less awkward?

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4490 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Is there even any reason to have this father Ryder dying thing going on? Couldn't they just make the player the "pathfinder" right from the beginning, making the start of the game much less awkward?

But that wouldn't have all the feelings™ in it.

Edited by kirottu, 19 March 2017 - 11:51 PM.

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 180 posts

The review embargo has lifted.    The Metacritic scores for Mass Defect: Androgynous is currently 75% for the PS4 version (12 reviews) and 77% for the Xbox One version (6 reviews).  The PC version has only 3 reviews so an average/Metacritic score is not yet available.

Those Metacritic scores, based on the let's play videos I've seen, are about right: an uninspired story (or at least an uninspired first act of the story,) lackluster dialogues, poor animations, and ugly character models (especially for the female characters.)   I'd probably score it between mid-60 and low-70, if what I've heard about the bugs is true, (i.e., Mass Defect: Androgynous is the buggiest BioWare release ever.) 

As of now, Mass Defect: Androgynous is the BioWare game that debuted with the lowest Metacritic scores, even lower than Dragon Age 2.

EDIT: The Metacritic scores have dropped to 73% for the PS4 version (15 reviews or 2 additional reviews) and 75% for Xbox One (7 reviews or 1 additional review.)  Still waiting for an average score for the PC version.

Edited by ktchong, 19 March 2017 - 11:57 PM.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3217 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I really don't get why folks are still writing storylines like that. Shouldn't everyone know by now that the player never ever feels connected to a character that dies in the first few minutes, even if it's the father, mother, daughter or however close the relationship is? Either these kind of stories are always written by noobs or they expect their story to make a difference, I dunno.

Edited by Lexx, 19 March 2017 - 11:49 PM.

• Oner and marelooke like this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4490 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I really don't get why folks are still writing storylines like that. Shouldn't everyone know by now that the player never ever feels connected to a character that dies in the first few minutes, even if it's the father, mother, daughter or however close the relationship is? Either these kind of stories are always written by noobs or they expect their story to make a difference, I dunno.

Andromeda does a double whammy in this case by also having your brother/sister be in a coma right from the start.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5002 posts

Well, otherwise it's hard to justify that the wet behind the ears protagonist was given the responsibility for saving the world yadda yadda. They'd have to make you play as someone more seasoned like Shepard, which doesn't mesh well with the kind of juvenile power fantasy that is so common in games these days.

I mean, inheriting the position because your pops kicked the bucket and there was no one else to promote isn't as bad as retconning admiral Hackett into a total moron for putting a kid in charge of things from the get-go.

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 180 posts

The first act is very important.   In today's competitive market, a video game has 30 minutes to an hour to "hook" a player with a great introduction.  I have been more than generous to watch a few hours of the playthrough and story. 

213374U may complain about how people who have not played the game should not judge the game.   I do not even want to get into the gameplay aspect of Mass Defect: Androgynous.   I could see from the videos that Mass Defect: Androgynous has cringeworthy  dialogues and an uninspired story.   I could already see the game has terrible character and facial animations.  I do not need to play the game myself to know the dialogues are awful, the story is uninspired, and the animations are bad.  I can find out all that from watching videos on YouTube.

Look, here is the thing.  When I watched the playthrough of Horizon: Zero Dawn, I got an urge that I wanted to keep watching to find out more about the story and the character.  I felt that, wow, I had to buy a Playstation 4 (which I did) because I wanted to experience that story and that character myself.  On the other hand, I did not get that feeling from watching Mass Defect: Androgynous.  At some point, (maybe about two hours into the let's play videos,) I thought that the story is uninteresting, the dialogues are awful, and the animations are painful to watch.  I decided Mass Defect: Androgynous is a disappointment and not a game I want to play anytime soon.

Edited by ktchong, 20 March 2017 - 12:15 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: well bang OK?, Space Jesus, Decline, Culpa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users