Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Proposed new health system, i.e. the one time I'll complain

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

dukeisaac

dukeisaac

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Put me down as someone who'd prefer the Health/Endurance system of PoE over the new proposed system.

same here.

And here. Health-endurance split is imo easy to understand and pretty effective. I also liked the knockout injuries, but I suggest they remain optional as in POE1.

• FlintlockJazz likes this

darqleo

darqleo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Put me down as someone who'd prefer the Health/Endurance system of PoE over the new proposed system.

You have my sword...

• FlintlockJazz, Fluffle, injurai and 1 other like this

bonarbill

bonarbill

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 255 posts

I'm honestly glad that their getting rid of that crappy convoluted system that was in PoE.  Just stick with one health bar like in other games please.

Edited by bonarbill, 07 March 2017 - 01:56 PM.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2834 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Heh. The repeal and replace debate is happening here too.
  • ShadySands, illathid, gogocactus and 1 other like this

Hertzila

Hertzila

Infiltrator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm honestly glad that their getting rid of that crappy convoluted system that was in PoE.  Just stick with one health bar like in other games please.

No. The health / endurance split was one of the best aspects of PoE's mechanics and added a lot of strategic depth to encounters. Instead of chugging wound-knitting health potions like it was your soft drink of choice, you actually couldn't tank through everything with a beer cap and a hose.

The split is great. The injury system sounds way too simplified and discrete compared to the granularity of the split.

• Fluffle, Silent Winter, Zaret Voruta and 2 others like this

gogocactus

gogocactus

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Steam:gogocactus

You have my sword...

And my axe...
  • FlintlockJazz and Fluffle like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You have my sword...

And my axe...

Really? Cause I checked around and I couldn't find an axe or sword anywhere in my apartment.

• FlintlockJazz, Fluffle, gogocactus and 1 other like this

dukeisaac

dukeisaac

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You have my sword...

And my axe...

Really? Cause I checked around and I couldn't find an axe or sword anywhere in my apartment.

Clearly, you're priorities are all wrong ;)

• ShadySands, FlintlockJazz and Regggler like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Clearly, you're priorities are all wrong ;)

You're not wrong.

• ShadySands and FlintlockJazz like this

bonarbill

bonarbill

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 255 posts

No. The health / endurance split was one of the best aspects of PoE's mechanics and added a lot of strategic depth to encounters.

No, it wasn't.  PoE's battledidn't last long enough for the endurance system to even matter.  Thankfully Ropekid is smart enough to get rid of this crappy system by go back to a system that was never broken to begin with.

Edited by bonarbill, 07 March 2017 - 04:08 PM.

lettiv

lettiv

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

No. The health / endurance split was one of the best aspects of PoE's mechanics and added a lot of strategic depth to encounters.

PoE's battledidn't last long enough for the endurance system to even matter.

Yeah, right:

• Hertzila and draego like this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1586 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You have my sword...

And my axe...

You did find my staff though right?  The one with the knobbly bit on the end?

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh I always know where to find your staff of strength ;)

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1586 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh I always know where to find your staff of strength ;)

Well I do wave it around lots. ;)

Slapstick87

Slapstick87

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts

It really boggles my mind that they stumbled onto (well... 'worked really hard to design' is probably more accurate) a formula and combination of game mechanics that worked really well, so well in fact that the game was highly successful and beloved, and the devs then go "Right! Obviously we need to change all that!". It works just fine, and the extra layer of strategy/considerations you need to make adds some complexity to interact with. 

If it works, don't fix it.Change for the sake of change isn't necessarily bound to be good.

• Fluffle, Hertzila, injurai and 6 others like this

injurai

injurai

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Has Obsidian made any acknowledgement of this concern of the communities. I know for the party size it's basically a "we're set on that decision" sort of thing.

But the health change seems more like a response to some minor criticism on PoE1, that the team thought they'd try to address. Less of something they really have their hearts set on. Or maybe I'm mistaken in seeing it that way. Maybe it's one of those things that is still too early for them to nail down, so I can wait on their word. But, I'd hate for this to be a sort of mechanic that needs to be sorted out early, then turn out to be a step back from what we had. What we had was great, really almost optimific in my opinion.

• gogocactus likes this

Baltic

Baltic

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Has Obsidian made any acknowledgement of this concern of the communities. I know for the party size it's basically a "we're set on that decision" sort of thing.

But the health change seems more like a response to some minor criticism on PoE1, that the team thought they'd try to address. Less of something they really have their hearts set on. Or maybe I'm mistaken in seeing it that way. Maybe it's one of those things that is still too early for them to nail down, so I can wait on their word. But, I'd hate for this to be a sort of mechanic that needs to be sorted out early, then turn out to be a step back from what we had. What we had was great, really almost optimific in my opinion.

Don't know if he had any response specifically in regards to criticism but when talking about it they've said they're 'experimenting' with the new system so if doesn't work they'll probably change it back.
  • injurai likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hopefully. Not only do I like the Health/Endurance system, the new system sounds less enjoyable than a traditional health system to me.

• Fluffle, injurai and gogocactus like this

dukeisaac

dukeisaac

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Don't know if he had any response specifically in regards to criticism but when talking about it they've said they're 'experimenting' with the new system so if doesn't work they'll probably change it back.

Josh Sawyer and Bobby Null both said in the 3rd Twitch Q&A that they preferred the POE1 health-endurance split. Presumably, if we keep voicing our preference for this mechanic, we will win the day.

Also, there appears to be another Q&A tonight, so it might be a good question for someone to ask (not me, since I'll be in class)

• Fluffle, injurai, Regggler and 1 other like this

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 997 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I too thought the health / endurance system worked really well.  I pushed my characters harder than I had in any other RPG.

• Fluffle, injurai, Regggler and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users