What's so Funny?

rjshae

6ce2e819c1111c04b28d2d2d85039de8.png

So money made him realize he was wrong the first time around?

Mmm, the two are not mutually exclusive. See epigenetics for example.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

True, but gender in particular is a broader term that encompasses more than just biological sex and deals with matters social, cultural, psychological and so on, which can be determined by a biological factor as much as it can by others. Anyhow I'll drop this since it isn't the thread to discuss the matter.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

True, but gender in particular is a broader term that encompasses more than just biological sex and deals with matters social, cultural, psychological and so on, which *can* be determined by a biological factor as much as it can by others. Anyhow I'll drop this since it isn't the thread to discuss the matter.

well, its up to definition, it was usually used as synonym for sex, but it seems people like to redefine this word lately

at least in my language there is only one word for sex = gender, we have something which is called 'rod' which is used in grammar (she,he,it)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

True, but gender in particular is a broader term that encompasses more than just biological sex and deals with matters social, cultural, psychological and so on, which *can* be determined by a biological factor as much as it can by others. Anyhow I'll drop this since it isn't the thread to discuss the matter.

well, its up to definition, it was usually used as synonym for sex, but it seems people like to redefine this word lately

at least in my language there is only one word for sex = gender, we have something which is called 'rod' which is used in grammar (she,he,it)

In my first language (Spanish) the matter of "man" or "woman" or "male" or "female" is addressed with far greater frequency as "sexo", but "género" is still a thing and is used to address more specifically the social/psychological/behavioural aspects of gender. All the same the difference between the terms, though slight, exists in English, and while I woudn't mind people using the words interchangeably in a day-to-day basis (because, despite this post, I'm not pedantic about it), you expect them to be used accurately in a context like a science show (or one attributed to a science show anyhow).

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

You don't know who Bill Nye is?

He actually got his start around these parts (Seattle), and we saw him on the popular local comedy show Almost Live. Quite the humorous guy, and his science presentations were almost always entertaining. Unfortunately, as of late he gets a lot of negative press from the anti-science types. A sign of these recidivistic times, I guess.

• Like 1

Does having a US syndicated TV show for 5 years really lead to world-wide recognition?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Does having a US syndicated TV show for 5 years really lead to world-wide recognition?

I'd say his internet presence has stretched out a bit farther than that at this point. He's basically a step behind Neil Degrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking in terms of recognizability in Science. 

• Like 2

I'd say his internet presence has stretched out a bit farther than that at this point. He's basically a step behind Neil Degrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking in terms of recognizability in Science.

To be fair, you'd have to have an interest in science and facts to start with.

Or music;

• Like 9

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

To be fair, you'd have to have an interest in science and facts to start with.

Or music;

weird all killed it

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That motor mouth... :blink:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

hah i just realised even Neil picked on Bill with that line about 'pick someone with your own brain size'

• Like 1

I just googled the guy. He is not even a scientist. You placing this kids show host with Stephen Hawking is mind boggling. 

I think I asked this before, but aren't you supposed to be a teacher? How low are the education standards in USA?

billiversity.jpg

• Like 1

hah i just realised even Neil picked on Bill with that line about 'pick someone with your own brain size'

Well, yeah, he was seriously outmatched in that battle :p