Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Politics 2017 part 4

• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1613 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That's one terrible cartoon.

It really is isn't it. I assumed it was a parody, but the artist is serious.

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2601 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Political Correctness is to express opinions that aren't what you really believe in order to gain political support, which is what most of Trump's opinions seems to be as he flipflops constantly subjects in order to gain political support. In past politicians where blamed to be PC in order to gain support from minorities like African Americans, Latinos and sexual minorities, but this days it seems that new target of PC is rural Americans.

Political correctness is often also linked to use of non-derogatory language and avoiding to speak certain subjects, when it comes to those previous mentioned minorities and it seems that with change of its target also tone of political correct language has change in so much so that they call it now politically incorrectness, even though purpose is absolutely same, but now people who are PC seems to be very open about fact that they are PC, although as said they like to use term that gives indication that they are some thing that opposes PC.

Isn't being "politically correct" more avoiding saying things that could be perceived as being offensive? Trump would certainly not qualify under that.

I would say that avoiding to say things that could be perceived as being offensive, is just somebody being well-mannered/correct, politically in front implies that person themself or other people see them doing so to gain political points, especially if they use mannerism/correctness that don't come from their own back ground. 

So person who is incorrect towards certain group of people in order to please other group of people is very similar than your classical political correctism.

Although for lots of people this days political correctness and correctness seem to be the same thing, without any difference in meaning, in which case politically incorrect just means being ****, which is quite far from being correct. Although good manners have never prevented people finding ways to be ****, so who knows.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2092 posts

Yes, we must all condemn people who pepper spray peaceful marchers.

Apparently they were arrested. But what are they marching for, exactly?

I thought the caption was obvious. Black Bloc goons attacked a pro-Trump march. But this time it wasn't Berkeley.

That still doesn't answer the question. Why are thousands of people marching for Trump? He is the President, he won the election. What is the purpose?

It's also fun how you refer to only one side as goons. Predictable as always. Seems to be plenty of goons available on both sides in those pictures.

No one ever marched for Obama after he won? You can only march in protest? Trump is being attacked from all sides, I don't see it's strange at all that his supporters would want to express their support in a collective and public way. As far as being goons, it's not being a goon to defend yourself when attacked.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8368 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
No one ever marched for Obama after he won? You can only march in protest? Trump is being attacked from all sides, I don't see it's strange at all that his supporters would want to express their support in a collective and public way. As far as being goons, it's not being a goon to defend yourself when attacked.

I honestly don't remember anyone marching for Obama after the election. Again, why would they need to?

As far as goons, this is the picture you chose to post:

aptopix-trump-rally-violence.jpg

Self defense is your argument here? Are you really so blinded by your partisan loyalties that you can't see the problem here? These guys should not be representatives of your movement, just like the Black Bloc is a terrible representative of a liberal movement. They are all goons.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I honestly don't remember anyone marching for Obama after the election. Again, why would they need to?

As far as goons, this is the picture you chose to post:

Self defense is your argument here? Are you really so blinded by your partisan loyalties that you can't see the problem here? These guys should not be representatives of your movement, just like the Black Bloc is a terrible representative of a liberal movement. They are all goons.

Its just a picture, where I agree that violence is not solution you don't know full story, and from what someone else posted they first start spaying them with pepper spray so what do you expect? :/

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

My take on this whole thing is that it is entirely unnecessary. You have a large group of marchers without any real clear purpose or agenda. They've won the election, and they are still marching. It smacks more of zealotry than political activism, and it is all to support this ridiculous narrative that the Trump Administration is a victim of the Evil Media. Then you have a small group of anarchist types who basically want to get the snot beaten out of them because that plays into the ridiculous narrative that Trump is a fascist and this is the start of a new race war. Both groups are morons. 

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 889 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

My take on this whole thing is that it is entirely unnecessary. You have a large group of marchers without any real clear purpose or agenda. They've won the election, and they are still marching. It smacks more of zealotry than political activism, and it is all to support this ridiculous narrative that the Trump Administration is a victim of the Evil Media. Then you have a small group of anarchist types who basically want to get the snot beaten out of them because that plays into the ridiculous narrative that Trump is a fascist and this is the start of a new race war. Both groups are morons. 

Well let me put it this way, where there anti Obama marches 3 or how many months after is election where almost all media are making fun of him for getting Nobel prize for ... who knows?

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2092 posts
@Hurlshot They have a purpose and an agenda, but what's it to you anyway? They're peacefully exercising their right to free speech and assembly. And yes, self defense is my argument because the caption to the picture clearly stated that the anarchists pepper sprayed the Trump supporters.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon, Today, 10:55 AM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

What's it to me? You haven't figured that out yet?

Well let me put it this way, where there anti Obama marches 3 or how many months after is election where almost all media are making fun of him for getting Nobel prize for ... who knows?

Were there? I remember a fair amount of criticism in the media about him getting the Nobel prize, but I don't recall protests.

After looking into it a bit, apparently the protests were surrounding his continuation of the Bush wars in Afghaniastan and Iraq. Which is humorous given WoD just blamed him for pulling out of Iraq. Ah to be stuck in the middle. :p

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 664 posts

Why would you call someone a goon just because he defends himself? 

It seems the left is all about the right to defend yourself... unless God forbid you actually manage to do so, then you are the problem. F logic.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Why would you call someone a goon just because he defends himself? 

It seems the left is all about the right to defend yourself... unless God forbid you actually manage to do so, then you are the problem. F logic.

When has the left been all about the right to defend yourself? The left is usually equated with gun control. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Chilloutman