Politics 2017 part 4

Hurlshort

What we reall need is a special police force to hunt down illegal replicants. I've even got a cool name for them in mind.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 6

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

We just seem to be ramping up government spending based on fear instead of actually doing stuff to make America great again.

Does a big border wall make America great? 

We already have a huge military budget, is that really where we need more spending?

Who are we fighting here? Illegal immigrants and ISIS? The actual chances of either of those groups affecting me in a negative way are miniscule. My tax dollars are being wasted.

We just seem to be ramping up government spending based on fear instead of actually doing stuff to make America great again.

But wait, didn't Trumps recent speech address the point that a wave of great optimism was sweeping the nation? ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Where is that 1 trillion coming from with the 54 billion bucks the defense department is getting and the 10-20 billion the wall is going to cost?

Also according to Trump there is 96 million unemployed Americans!

Edited by Hurlshot

So a special police force just to handle crimes committed by illegal immigrants?

Okey dokey, I'm curious what they will call the special police force that will handle people from the Middle East.

Blade Quranners

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Where is that 1 trillion coming from with the 54 billion bucks the defense department is getting and the 10-20 billion the wall is going to cost?

Isn't that roughly a third?

Isn't that roughly a third?

Yep, it's a travesty!

ok, maybe some of those people are students and old people.

It's 96 million Americans not in the work force. To make that number you need to add retirees, children, etc. 

Now, the Obama admin did some dirty math with this kind of thing too. Once your unemployment benefits ran out you no longer counted as unemployed. You became an un-person as far as Barack Obama was concerned. That was how he got to say the unemployment rate was whatever is was while so many Americans were not working. Of that 96 million there are many (multiple millions) who are able to work and want to but are lacking opportunity. Many of that number are employed doing something "off the books" as far as the IRS goes, working for cash or kind.

To say there are 96 million Americans not working might be true, but it's misleading. Just as it was when the Obama admin touted their "lowest unemployment in 20 years" BS. How do you tell when a politician is lying? Whenever sound comes out of their mouth. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So a special police force just to handle crimes committed by illegal immigrants?

Okey dokey, I'm curious what they will call the special police force that will handle people from the Middle East.

Huh? Where's that from?

Does a big border wall make America great? 

We already have a huge military budget, is that really where we need more spending?

Who are we fighting here? Illegal immigrants and ISIS? The actual chances of either of those groups affecting me in a negative way are miniscule. My tax dollars are being wasted.

So 9/11 was minuscule to you? What if they get hold of nuclear, biological or chemical weapons? As far as military spending, do you realize the atrocious state of readiness the military is in?

It's 96 million Americans not in the work force. To make that number you need to add retirees, children, etc.

Pretty sure that's working age people. Of course there are a lot of stay-at-home mothers in that number also. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So 9/11 was minuscule to you? What if they get hold of nuclear, biological or chemical weapons? As far as military spending, do you realize the atrocious state of readiness the military is in?

See this is fear talking. How much power are you willing to give our government to protect us from the next 9/11? How much of your tax dollars should be going to that? How effective is all this really going to be at stopping the next 9/11?

Our military is massive. I want them to spend money smarter instead of just throwing it at them. Given that they are also cutting the diplomacy budget by a third, it is clear this administration is playing into the fears of the American people instead of trying to create long lasting peace. If that were the real goal, the diplomacy budget should be growing as well.

• Like 1

It's also good to remember that 9/11 happened 15 years ago. We have already given up rights to try and prevent another attack, we've waged two costly wars to root out bad guys, and we are still actively involved in those areas. How much more do we need to do? We are fighting an ideology, not an enemy nation. The odds are there will be another major attack someday. Will throwing money stop that? Will giving up our privacy stop that? Will closing off our borders stop that? I guess that last one might work, but I am not sure drawing an iron curtain around our country is a great look.

• Like 7

See this is fear talking. How much power are you willing to give our government to protect us from the next 9/11? How much of your tax dollars should be going to that? How effective is all this really going to be at stopping the next 9/11?

So you do nothing and just wait for it to happen again?

Our military is massive. I want them to spend money smarter instead of just throwing it at them. Given that they are also cutting the diplomacy budget by a third, it is clear this administration is playing into the fears of the American people instead of trying to create long lasting peace. If that were the real goal, the diplomacy budget should be growing as well.

What is your specific proposal for improving military readiness without spending more? What is the evidence that the diplomatic budget contributes anything to lasting peace? Do you think Russia or Iran or China or North Korea can be persuaded of anything just by talking nice to them? lol "Iron Curtain" you really have no idea about that at all. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It's also good to remember that 9/11 happened 15 years ago. We have already given up rights to try and prevent another attack, we've waged two costly wars to root out bad guys, and we are still actively involved in those areas. How much more do we need to do? We are fighting an ideology, not an enemy nation. The odds are there will be another major attack someday. Will throwing money stop that? Will giving up our privacy stop that? Will closing off our borders stop that? I guess that last one might work, but I am not sure drawing an iron curtain around our country is a great look.

I'd like this twice if I could

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

What are the problems with readiness right now? Guess that is hard to tell as everyone is trying to stuff their budgets so you're going to get alarmist reports at best and maybe self sabotage at worst. Also need to consider what you are being ready for.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What is the evidence that the diplomatic budget contributes anything to lasting peace? 

You are basically asking if diplomacy is more effective than an arms race.

edit: The answer would seem to be that both are important. So why is one being cut in favor of the other?

edit 2: Look, I found some money! https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/pentagon-buries-evidence-of-125-billion-in-bureaucratic-waste/2016/12/05/e0668c76-9af6-11e6-a0ed-ab0774c1eaa5_story.html?utm_term=.8a2a5c10b839

Edited by Hurlshot

Wait, first you reference terrorism with 9/11, and now we are dealing with Russia, China, and North Korea?

Did you not notice I'm answering your question in two parts?

"Bernie Sanders is a complete moron. He can never get the funding. His plans will never work."

"Let's spend 54 billion on the military to try and fight the abstract concept of a specific ideology we neither like nor understand. But radicals blow up our stuff and that never happens with any other ideology so therefore every penny is justified."

Hmmmm

But the left is hypocritical?

But seriously... I'd be asking myself some serious fundamental questions if my country ha the biggest military in the world but not free education. Just saying

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Wait, first you reference terrorism with 9/11, and now we are dealing with Russia, China, and North Korea?

Did you not notice I answered your first question before you even asked it?

We've done a ton already.

What are the problems with readiness right now? Guess that is hard to tell as everyone is trying to stuff their budgets so you're going to get alarmist reports at best and maybe self sabotage at worst. Also need to consider what you are being ready for.

I guess you can always question their claims but for what it's worth: http://dailysignal.com/2017/02/10/defense-leaders-agree-us-military-readiness-is-at-a-dangerous-low

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/14/wiped-out-air-force-losing-pilots-and-planes-to-cuts-scrounging-for-spare-parts.html

Did you not notice I answered your first question before you even asked it?

You answered it while I was answering your first post, and it has nothing to do with what I said above.

We've done a ton already.

So we just quit now and forget about it? Edited by Wrath of Dagon

Did US citizens freedom not already suffer enough from this fight against "Islam"? Did you really learn nothing from your fight against "communism"?

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows