Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2161 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You know what they say, without IGN you can't spell ignorant. Guess that's tier 1 gaming websites for you.

I'll decide what I think of the game when the lower tier web reviews come out.

None in that long list of reviews are lower tier?

InXile/ Techland had a list of tier 1 websites that they'd be bothered dealing with and lower tier websites they wouldn't be bothered with- that came out when they cancelled an interview with the Codex- so early review copies probably indicates tier 1 status pretty well. Irony being that a lot of the tier 2 websites like the Codex, GameBanshee or RPGWatch would at least get fundamental stuff like name of the company making the game correct. They might duplicate a list of reviews though, making it appear twice as long as it is, and have scores like 80/10 snuck in there as well.

Basically I'm being snarky because I'd rate a review from any of those 3 sites I named better than the vast majority of the sites on that list. Not that it matters, since I backed the game anyway.

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Heh. The Codex is a low tier website. You got that part right. /scnr :biggrin:

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

You know what they say, without IGN you can't spell ignorant. Guess that's tier 1 gaming websites for you.

I'll decide what I think of the game when the lower tier web reviews come out.

None in that long list of reviews are lower tier?

He means the underground reviews, like TheSubWay, DwarfLand, and MoleManGaming

And the Codex of course. :cat:

The Codey isn't underground. The Codex is Mos Eisley.

• sorophx, rjshae and melkathi like this

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3005 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think the whole intro bit in this game is pretty bad and uninvolving. In the first version of the beta, it was... both better and worse. It had a big CYOA section (which is somewhere else in the game according to the devs) that did wonders for injecting something interesting into it, but the whole intro went on for much longer also.

Now it's just kinda bad but, well, short at least.

I'm enjoying going around Sagus Cliffs now. It's pretty good stuff.

One thing I *really* dislike about this game though... I hate how it feels to play. Everything feels sluggish, the way the characters move around, the way they stop before talking to someone, the way the dialogue interface has little animations, the entire UI, etc. It really bothers me... I like the slower pace of the game, with lots of reading, but yeah... hate how sluggish it feels to play.

• sorophx likes this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8733 posts

"Vital and approachable" - IGN

lol

• algroth likes this

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

One thing I *really* dislike about this game though... I hate how it feels to play. Everything feels sluggish, the way the characters move around, the way they stop before talking to someone, the way the dialogue interface has little animations, the entire UI, etc. It really bothers me... I like the slower pace of the game, with lots of reading, but yeah... hate how sluggish it feels to play.

You should have seen the state of the game - and the UI - back in the alpha. Compared to the first playable versions the characters are positively responsive and the UI is wonderful. The first iteration had non-descript buttons with flat coloring and figuring out how to spend effort on a task took some, uhm, effort. To say the least. ;)

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 668 posts

It seems almost all low scores come from console reviews. Well that's what you get if you give console peasants a gem for pc masterrace to play with  :biggrin:

• marelooke likes this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 907 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Sank 5 hours into it last night. I don't have any problem with the UI. Generally finding the writing good, though many characters suffer from Grieving Mother syndrome (lots of obscure waffle). Lots of interesting companions. I particularly like Rhin, who I understand was written by old Patrick Rothfuss.

The combat is by far the weakest part. Its clunky, frustrating and unsatisfying. Just ignore it as much as possible and pretend you're reading a visual novel.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1942 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Really? Are there other words that were similarly obfuscated?

They're actually all celled "Fettles" and no, I haven't noticed anything like that yet - but I've yet to get into the mechanical side of things a bit deeper so it might get worse. Or possibly better. Well 'Encounter/Combat' is called 'Crisis', but what it stands for is rather obvious, so that bit is just a little strange.

Yeah, it stands for "crisis". Kinda like how might isn't strength. Crisis points can involve narrative events, dialogue, etc. They *can* be combat encounters, but aren't specifically so.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3446 posts

So apparently skydiving without a parachute is lethal. Lesson learned Numenera.

• melkathi likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6487 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

Just starting out, made a male slick nano.  I'm going to try to avoid as much combat as I can, all of it if possible.  So far so good.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10090 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Really? Are there other words that were similarly obfuscated?

They're actually all celled "Fettles" and no, I haven't noticed anything like that yet - but I've yet to get into the mechanical side of things a bit deeper so it might get worse. Or possibly better. Well 'Encounter/Combat' is called 'Crisis', but what it stands for is rather obvious, so that bit is just a little strange.

Yeah, it stands for "crisis". Kinda like how might isn't strength. Crisis points can involve narrative events, dialogue, etc. They *can* be combat encounters, but aren't specifically so.

Oh no, maybe all RPGs should just name their classes "Off-Tank" because MMO players use it? 'Buffs' isn't even normal terminology inside RPGs. Next Thief should get rid of 'taffer' and PST shouldn't have 'berk', because... I don't even know what the 'because' is here. 

TTON opening suffers from far too many random pieces of loredumps that never add up to a coherent set of images, 'fettles' is the least of its problems.

• sorophx likes this

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3446 posts

Did anybody else chuckle when they heard the main character say "updated my journal"?

• WDeranged likes this

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3149 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Speaking of tech issues, if anyone has old beta/early access savegames lying around delete them first. The bug itself existed in the early access version as well, and it is still not fixed. Old savegames make loading new ones a chore, if not impossible. *sigh*

What bug exactly?

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 668 posts

Speaking of tech issues, if anyone has old beta/early access savegames lying around delete them first. The bug itself existed in the early access version as well, and it is still not fixed. Old savegames make loading new ones a chore, if not impossible. *sigh*

What bug exactly?

When you click load game the list doesn't show if there is any old save file in folder.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3149 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Weird, seems to work fine for me. Tried it yesterday when I had a few minutes, loaded my old savegame, left the beta area, etc. saw nothing unusual.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1737 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Oh no, maybe all RPGs should just name their classes "Off-Tank" because MMO players use it? 'Buffs' isn't even normal terminology inside RPGs. Next Thief should get rid of 'taffer' and PST shouldn't have 'berk', because... I don't even know what the 'because' is here.

There's a massive difference between mechanical descriptors and in-game lore. It'd be like calling an 'Inventory' a 'Knapasnack' or renaming the 'Continue' button to a 'Pufflement'. The moment I see characters in game referring to fettles in conversation I'll stand corrected, but so far it just feels like an arbitrary name for a fairly standardized function (which is status effects, yes.)

Note that I'm not at all complaining about dumps of completely alien terminology and lore otherwise. Wonder why that is.

Edited by Fenixp, 28 February 2017 - 10:18 PM.

• Ganrich likes this

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 668 posts

Weird, seems to work fine for me. Tried it yesterday when I had a few minutes, loaded my old savegame, left the beta area, etc. saw nothing unusual.

Maybe it depends on the save. I had a save from around half year ago and had this bug.

Katphood

Katphood

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1194 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I have to update my copy on steam. Haven't touched it since the Early Access days. Pretty excited to play this!

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 907 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nevermind the names, let's talk about combat.

Without spending effort points, its barely possible to hit anything. But you get so few effort points, that they're all used up in the first few turns of combat.

Am I the only one running into this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users