Vote on the ship of the Black Isle Bastards [Updated Poll]

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards' ship!  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What model or type should the ship of the Black Isle Bastards be based on? (for more information on the different types see the opening post below!)

• repurposed sea monster
    • Barque
    • Sloop
    • Brig
    • Brigantine
    • Canoe
    • Caravel
    • Junk (ship)
    • Pirogue
    • Schooner
    • Frigate
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What should the name of the ship be?

• The Black Bead
    • Scallywag's Remorse
    • The High Sea Harlot
    • The Haunted Harlot
    • Harbor-Bay Bitch
    • The Salty Mistress
    • The Heaving Harlot
    • Mother's Embrace
    • Ondra's Embrace
    • The Lady of Lament
    • The Mourning Mistress
    • Blackfire
    • The Black Death
    • In the game, the Black Isle Bastards should argue over how to name their ship
  3. 3. What should be the fate or role of the ship?

• Eothas destroyed the ship
    • The ship was destroyed for other reasons
    • Eothas has damaged the ship
    • The ship has been damaged for other reasons
    • The Black Isle Bastards' souls are bound to the ship
    • The ship captures souls (of anyone)
    • A soul inhabits the ship just as the Steward inhabited Caed Nua
    • The ship can be stolen by the player

hqtQFbp.png
 (Note: The purpose of this image is only to support the crowd funding of our pirate crew. By no way does it make any decisions on the Black Isle Bastards' ship. Credits for the font used on the image go to Raymond Larabie: http://www.1001fonts.com/vinque-font.html#license Credits for the image go to: https://de.fotolia.com/p/205428757 )

Ahoy mateys!

We have had a lot of support from Obsidian, making the Black Isle come true and
creating the Black Isle Bastards forum badge for us on this forum.

Now, we would actually like to make the Black Isle Bastards come true in Pillars of Eternity 2.
We are therefore collecting money in another thread, and some people have already generously
donated to our cause.

So at this point a huge thank you to Obsidian Entertainment and to our donors.

Our next step is to discuss our ship, how else can the Black Isle Bastards sail through
the Deadfire Archipelago and reach their destination, the Black Isle?

This is what this thread is for. You can vote in this thread and
comment on the subject of the ship of the Black Isle Bastards!

Also feel free to make new suggestions about the the ship at any time!

Note: As always a poll like this serves simply as suggestions to Obsidian and Obsidian is in no way bound to the results of this poll.

For the first question see the links below to get more information of the different types of ships:

2.) Barque
3.) Sloop
4.) Brig
5.) Brigantine
6.) Canoe
7.) Caravel
8.) Junk (Ship)
9.) Pirogue
10.) Schooner
11.) Frigate

See you on board, mate!

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

My opinion:

ship type: Brig, a typical pirate ship, not too huge but big enough to be a ship and not a boat.

Name: The only real pirate ship is the "Black Pearl". This is her little sister.

fate: The ship has been attacked by a kraken (or maybe another sea monster, but not the statue. Do aquatic dragons exist?)

• Like 1

@Madscientist

Funny that you mention a kraken. Because I made a map of my personal vision of a Black Isle (note: it's just a fantasy map, it will not be the actual Black Isle). There is a place called "Kraken Bay" and I asked a friend to draw a kraken for that! And he just sent me his drawing, right a few minutes after you posted.

My old map:

BqJ6nLK.png

And here comes the kraken!

All credits for this kraken go to lolien on the Beamdog forum!

F3db1sz.jpg

So, here's the updated map:

73zfaRM.jpg

So yeah, Kraken Bay, has a new inhabitant and I strongly advise AGAINST swimming there, or sailing there...

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Type: A cross between 3/4 Junk and 1/4 Brig/Brigantine, mainly because Junks are criminally underrepresented in any kind of media these days.

Name: "The Heaving Harlot"

Fate: The "inhabited soul" one. The soul of an actual harlot, complete with matching attitude, personality and behaviour (lots of cursing, sexual innuendos and overall potty mouth). Would repeatedly inject its/her comments during dialogue with the crew, without being asked of course. Being told to shut up would only encourage more comments.

Edited by desel
  • Like 2

I reckon it should be called Obsidian something, to link it in with the Order somewhat and the Black Isle stuff.  Obsidian Harlot?  Obsidian Bead?

Sea Bitch!

Funnily enough in a larp one of my friends has named his ship the Rampaging Sea Bitch.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Type: A cross between 3/4 Junk and 1/4 Brig/Brigantine, mainly because Junks are criminally underrepresented in any kind of media these days.

Name: "The Heaving Harlot"

Fate: The "inhabited soul" one. The soul of an actual harlot, complete with matching attitude, personality and behaviour (lots of cursing, sexual innuendos and overall potty mouth). Would repeatedly inject its/her comments during dialogue with the crew, without being asked of course. Being told to shut up would only encourage more comments.

+1

Especially the name. Alliterations FTW.

"The Heaving Harlot" has been added to the options. I removed on of the options that nobody had voted for yet.

Please check your vote if this concerns you :)

• Like 1

Re purposed sea monster, they argue about the name  of the ship and damaged by Eothas, because i don't want another they are ghosts on a ship cliche. 

A fair concern. Do you think the Black Isle Bastards should somehow be a special group of pirates or just another pirate crew that happens to simply have the name?

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Combining some of the suggestions could also work.

For example the ship could be both a vessel for a soul -and- the object the souls of the Bastards are bound to.

Or mixing different ship designs for something other than your bog standard and boring pirate brigantine.

Don't worry combining options is always an option.

I still do not enable multiple choices because I would like everyone to pick their absolute favorite choice in each category.

ship's name:

Coffin

captain can wield a weapon called the coffin's nail (sword, spear, dagger) or coffin maker's hammer (hammer, flintlock pistol, arquebus.)

as for, "The Black Isle Bastards' souls are bound to the ship," doesn't it sound a bit familiar.  so familiar that if the obsidian writers did such in the game, we would complain o' it being derivative or hackneyed, or worse.  am knowing such choice is current #1, but please think o' how terrible such a choice is gonna be 'less is made a joke or parody.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I do wonder how many people chose "Junk" because they thought it's a ship made of junk.  :grin:

Junk (as in the ship) does look great, though. Very stylish and not as overdone as a brig. (Though I am a huge fan of the brig, it's just too iconic not to love.)

• Like 2

@Gromnir

I added a special note in the opening post to clarify that polls like this one serve as suggestions to Obsidian and that they're not bound by the results.

So if Obsidian shares your concerns they will not do it anyway.

Yet people should be able to vote for and express what they like or dislike. Just as you just expressed that you rather dislike one idea.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

@Gromnir

I added a special note in the opening post to clarify that polls like this one serve as suggestions to Obsidian and that they're not bound by the results.

So if Obsidian shares your concerns they will not do it anyway.

Yet people should be able to vote for and express what they like or dislike. Just as you just expressed that you rather dislike one idea.

No no, I am a huge fan of Junk. It's very pretty. I'd love to end up with it. 

It's simply a problem with such polls: people rarely scroll down to the main post to click through images. I myself have just googled what ships look like and then after voting realized that I did not have to do that.

But since people vote based on names, I am going to guess that many people simply picked what sounded familiar (frigate and... junk). I think for every other decision poll results should be one of the defining factors, but when it comes to ship appearance, I think it may be best to rely more on discussions in the thread. Or just let Obsidian have the free artistic license, I guess. :)

I do wonder how many people chose "Junk" because they thought it's a ship made of junk.  :grin:

Junk (as in the ship) does look great, though. Very stylish and not as overdone as a brig. (Though I am a huge fan of the brig, it's just too iconic not to love.)

Yes, my vote went to Junk. I stayed overnight on Halong Bay, Vietnam. They are amazing ships. Great atmosphere.