Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Reqeust for a walk toggle this Time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
221 replies to this topic

illathid

illathid

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 596 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:illathid
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You are overlooking the "they didn't test it" part.  Obsidian will have to test it, in all maps, entering cutscenes, in combat, etc etc.  Testing is almost always takes the most time when you include something new.  So I don't disagree putting it in game would be "easy" but Obsidian is not two guys doing it for a buddy, they have to do it right.

No, I don't overlook it, I personally just don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not like there are many different mechanics that intertwine with other aspects of the game - it's a simple on/off flag that changes one set of animation to another. Very similar to running and scouting, which is already in the game. To make it super simple: replace the scouting animation with walking - done. I literally "walked" through POE1 from beginning to end and did not encounter any problems. So if this feature didn't get tested before being implemented into IE mod, it either was coded perfectly in the first place or there is simply not that much behind the curtain that can cause problems...

But hey, that's just my opinion and you guys are more than welcome to disagree. I just don't think we'll end on the same page anytime soon.  :grin:

It's not so much a matter of whether it causes problems or not. But rather by adding it means you have to check for problems even if there are none, because that's what good developers do.

• Karkarov likes this

4ward

4ward

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts

characters are sprinting around through unexplored maps and in combat like usain bolt doing 100m runs. It‘s not necessarily about speed but how awkward that looks. The cautious exploring of maps like in BG2 made more sense. The abrupt change from standstill to running and vice versa looks awkward. It needs to get back to the old IE games with walking as standard movement with a starting delay so that the chars also don‘t look like robots as Sensuki mentioned years ago. Add a travel mode for already explored maps - that could be a fade out/fade in scene or them walking fast – while that also might look awkward it‘s acceptable since it‘s travel mode. Adding further animations to have chars getting into movement make more smooth isn‘t required but just simply making walking the standard movement.

• Bill Gates' Son and Joral like this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I haven't really been following this thread, but have you guys really been discussing walking for 7 pages? Must be a pretty controversial feature...

• Messier-31 and Wormerine like this

Cerebro83

Cerebro83

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It is. Some people here think it's the devil.  :lol:  ;)

Edited by Cerebro83, 06 March 2017 - 12:52 AM.

• Katarack21 likes this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2635 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I haven't really been following this thread, but have you guys really been discussing walking for 7 pages? Must be a pretty controversial feature...

It isn't, just a few people think the ability to walk somehow is required for a good RPG.  If this were dark souls or something I would agree, but it isn't.  In this game if I want to move slowly and cautiously I just turn on sneak mode.

And by "a few people" I mean like 3-5.

Edited by Karkarov, 06 March 2017 - 07:06 AM.

4ward

4ward

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts

the player sneaks through a dungeon filled with traps, he walks through an unexplored outside area

• Joral likes this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3700 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

the player sneaks through a dungeon filled with traps, he walks through an unexplored outside area

Or in a city market looking at various goods.

• Joral likes this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Or in a city market looking at various goods.

It definitely adds to the game far more than it takes away. :) . Sorry it took me a while to respond been playing TToN (Probably like most of you), Sadly having to stop playing until they patch.

Abel

Abel

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Did not read everything, don't know if the matter about the toggle is settled yet or not. But i must say "i agree". Running everywhere is silly. Being able to walk at times is a key component of roleplay to me.

-Hey, have a beer? Want a beer! *running everywhere in the tavern*

-Not a Red Bull? *squinting*

-Hu? Why Red Bull? *Doing push ups and running*

-Yaaah.... Nothing....

So i want the toggle allowing to walk too (cyan circles would be great too actually :)).

• Joral likes this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Did not read everything, don't know if the matter about the toggle is settled yet or not. But i must say "i agree". Running everywhere is silly. Being able to walk at times is a key component of roleplay to me.

-Hey, have a beer? Want a beer! *running everywhere in the tavern*

-Not a Red Bull? *squinting*

-Hu? Why Red Bull? *Doing push ups and running*

-Yaaah.... Nothing....

So i want the toggle allowing to walk too (cyan circles would be great too actually :)).

I am hoping that the matter is still being considered. These are features that, even if not the whole community atleast a large portion would like to see this feature in the game, even if they never use it. I am still hoping that we can convince them to add the feature in.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Interesting side note, the "move at full speed while in stealth" was added by Bester and Sensuki because they wanted to move faster in stealth.  No one ever had to "ask" for it.  They also added the "enhanced" increased game speed because they wanted to move across maps even faster than you could with the built in increased speed.

I can't remember where the faster movement stuff came from, but it definitely wasn't me. I even tried to slow down movement speed before I enlisted Bester's aid.

• Joral likes this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Interesting side note, the "move at full speed while in stealth" was added by Bester and Sensuki because they wanted to move faster in stealth.  No one ever had to "ask" for it.  They also added the "enhanced" increased game speed because they wanted to move across maps even faster than you could with the built in increased speed.

I can't remember where the faster movement stuff came from, but it definitely wasn't me. I even tried to slow down movement speed before I enlisted Bester's aid.

Thank you for the post. I was starting to wonder if Karkarov was correct and that the walk toggle was just an accident. I am glad it was not. What are your views on having a walk toggle in the game before modding ?

oddrheia

oddrheia

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hi guys! Is there  anything new on the subject? I've not been keeping up with the Deadfire news...  Have there been any mentions of it at all past few months?

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts

It never ceases to amaze me just how fragile some people's immersion is.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1011 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A good walk animation is good for animation blending. But I certainly don't think I'd use it that much. I'd rather just use the slow mechanic, and typically I want to be moving faster not slower when I'm just moving about.

DexGames

DexGames

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I re-watched the Campaign Ending Party a couple of days ago.

At that time they said it would be a 6 Million Stretch Goal  :grin:

Basicaly said, we won't get a toggle button for walking anytime soon. Whiule it is good for RP purposes, I'm not bothered for not having it.

They said many times that it's an unpopular feature, and would only happen if the ENTIRE Community claims it, so... :blush:

• Wormerine likes this

Varana

Varana

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hmm. Where exactly did they say that many times? ;D

smjjames

smjjames

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It never ceases to amaze me just how fragile some people's immersion is.

I don't see it as a problem with immersion, more of a QoL kind of thing because maybe sometimes you don't want to move quickly.

• oddrheia likes this

DexGames

DexGames

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hmm. Where exactly did they say that many times? ;D

Josh's Twitter & QA Twitch Sessions, can't tell you which one tho

Cerebro83

Cerebro83

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Would love a Walk Toggle, too, although I don't have my hopes up on the matter. Hopefully it gets modded in like in Pillars 1. Still use IE Mod almost exclusively for this tiny feature.
  • oddrheia and Joral like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users