Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Reqeust for a walk toggle this Time

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1637 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm all for the addition of a walk toggle, and I say that as someone who wouldn't use it. I try to support options that would make the game more enjoyable to other people so long as they wouldn't make the game less fun for me or obviously take a lot of development time, and this seems to fit both bills: I could simply not use it, and since walking animations are already in game it would surely be as simple as adding a button somewhere on the UI that tells the game "use walking animations and speed", plus a bit of QA to make sure it works and doesn't cause other problems.

• illathid and oddrheia like this

oddrheia

oddrheia

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm all for the addition of a walk toggle, and I say that as someone who wouldn't use it. I try to support options that would make the game more enjoyable to other people so long as they wouldn't make the game less fun for me or obviously take a lot of development time, and this seems to fit both bills: I could simply not use it, and since walking animations are already in game it would surely be as simple as adding a button somewhere on the UI that tells the game "use walking animations and speed", plus a bit of QA to make sure it works and doesn't cause other problems.

We don't even need the ui button. Slap a hotkey option on it, like IE mod devs did for us for the first Pillars game, and we'll be blissfully happy! :yes:

Jonathan_Crow

Jonathan_Crow

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Steam:jonathan_crow
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Adding a hot-key for walking looks perfect! But I doubt that developers ever read this topic.

Regggler

Regggler

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Adding a hot-key for walking looks perfect! But I doubt that developers ever read this topic.

They did mention the walk toggle in a stream though. Josh said that it's on the list, but not at a very high priority, iirc.

• TheisEjsing likes this

Aarik D

Aarik D

Community Manager

• Developers
  • 3120 posts
  • Black Isle Bastard!

They did mention the walk toggle in a stream though. Josh said that it's on the list, but not at a very high priority, iirc.

Regggler is correct and hello!  :grin:

• illathid, AndreaColombo, Silent Winter and 4 others like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3155 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Aarik - are cyan circles for neutral NPCs and asynchronous party movement also on the list? :)

Edited by AndreaColombo, 01 March 2017 - 10:19 AM.

• Lord_Mord likes this

Aarik D

Aarik D

Community Manager

• Developers
  • 3120 posts
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Aarik - are cyan circles for neutral NPCs and asynchronous party movement also on the list? :)

Josh also talked about that in one of the Twitch Q&A streams, which I believe he said it is a possibility. 

• AndreaColombo, Silent Winter and Lord_Mord like this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well hopefully both the walk toggle and the neutral color circles can be moved a little up the list then :). There seem to be more people who are interested in these features than you guys thought :). And thank you for responding to this thread :). After the livestream I doubted that they would even be considered.

• AndreaColombo, Idara, Silent Winter and 1 other like this

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2532 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Josh said Walk Toggle was a stretch goal in one of the streams.  I believe he said it was the 7 million stretch goal specifically.

• Lord_Mord and Wormerine like this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Josh said Walk Toggle was a stretch goal in one of the streams.  I believe he said it was the 7 million stretch goal specifically.

He said 6mil. and that he wasn't serious. And this REALLY should not be a stretch goal.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2840 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I sincerely hope that Josh, Adam, and the producers continue to believe that a healthy majority of Eternity players are ambivalent about this issue and that it shouldn't take priority over more important programming, animation, UI Art, and QA tasks and should remain a C-level priority.

PS

Anyone who doesn't appreciate the awesomeness that is Big Head mode probably doesn't like the 90's and NBA games, and so therefore can't be my friend. Cuz that's my jam.
  • Karkarov and Regggler like this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I sincerely hope that Josh, Adam, and the producers continue to believe that a healthy majority of Eternity players are ambivalent about this issue and that it shouldn't take priority over more important programming, animation, UI Art, and QA tasks and should remain a C-level priority.

PS

Anyone who doesn't appreciate the awesomeness that is Big Head mode probably doesn't like the 90's and NBA games, and so therefore can't be my friend. Cuz that's my jam.

Though I am assuming you are trolling, I will respond. The fact that the animation is already in just means adding a hot-key toggle. This does not take away time for anything else, and the point that at this stage of the games development is when this stuff SHOULD be done or considered. Hence the point of a game being backed and the backers making suggestions and requests as to what they would like to see in the game.

• AndreaColombo and oddrheia like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3155 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Like the dodge animations that are already in the game, for example :p

• Leferd likes this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2840 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

PS

Though I am assuming you are trolling, I will respond. The fact that the animation is already in just means adding a hot-key toggle. This does not take away time for anything else, and the point that at this stage of the games development is when this stuff SHOULD be done or considered. Hence the point of a game being backed and the backers making suggestions and requests as to what they would like to see in the game.

So dissent with your opinion and pet issue is trolling?

You're assuming it's just as easy as adding a hotkey. K. Being honest, I don't know the resources required it would take to properly implement a walk feature, but knowing what I know of the software industry and having followed RPG development for more years than I want to admit...It ain't as easy as you think it is.

It would be cool to be able to walk, but it's not a game breaker, not is it a high demand or high concept feature central to gameplay. If they can get to it, great. But it's still C-level at best.
  • illathid and Regggler like this

compleCCity

compleCCity

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Steam:compleCCity

Besides the hanging tree the (cinematic) automatic switch to walk speed was it, what made the arrival in Gilded Vale that impressive for me. Period.

• Bill Gates' Son, oddrheia, Joral and 1 other like this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So dissent with your opinion and pet issue is trolling?

You're assuming it's just as easy as adding a hotkey. K. Being honest, I don't know the resources required it would take to properly implement a walk feature, but knowing what I know of the software industry and having followed RPG development for more years than I want to admit...It ain't as easy as you think it is.

It would be cool to be able to walk, but it's not a game breaker, not is it a high demand or high concept feature central to gameplay. If they can get to it, great. But it's still C-level at best.

No I assumed trolling due to the fact you did not come in and comment that you are not interested in the feature, or think it useless. You immediately stated that  the developers should not listen to any of us who want the feature, and then immediately stated how much you love big head mode.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2840 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No I assumed trolling due to the fact you did not come in and comment that you are not interested in the feature, or think it useless. You immediately stated that  the developers should not listen to any of us who want the feature, and then immediately stated how much you love big head mode.

My dissent was implied for the specific reasons that I wrote in my statement: 

PS

And everyone relax with the Big Head slander. Leaving it in the game was a slam dunk.

slamdunk.png

Thanks, Josh.

http://forums.obsidi...s-in/?p=1473046

http://forums.obsidi...s-in/?p=1474602

Edited by Leferd, 01 March 2017 - 09:34 PM.

• Karkarov likes this

Cerebro83

Cerebro83

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I love the "priority and time" argument...

Yes, there are more crucial things that are more important, but it IS as easy as to slap a hotkey to walking and make it accessible to the player, because a walking toggle is already in the game - used by several cut scenes as compleCCity stated. It has been modded into POE1 and the code used for this would fit on a single Post-It note. Problem is (or was) that POE1 is difficult to mod on a "code level" and every patch overrides the changes.

Edited by Cerebro83, 01 March 2017 - 10:00 PM.

• oddrheia likes this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2840 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I love the "priority and time" argument...

Yes, there are more crucial things that are more important, but it IS as easy as to slap a hotkey to walking and make it accessible to the player, because a walking toggle is already in the game - used by several cut scenes as compleCCity stated. It has been modded into POE1 and the code used for this would fit on a single Post-It note. Problem is (or was) that POE1 is difficult to mod on a "code level" and every patch overrides the changes.

Cool.

meschert

meschert

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

We're all on the same team here.    :banana: 

Team honest-to-eora, building-a-beautiful-story-driven-RPG-by-people-who-live-it-care-for-it-and-give-a-sh*t, aka team-obsidian.

/love

• Karkarov, AndreaColombo and Baltic like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users