Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Reqeust for a walk toggle this Time

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

meschert

meschert

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
+1 Joral, I hope the community manager takes note of this thread!

Edit: there's also an AMA tomorrow at 12 PST I believe - so let's try again there!

Edited by meschert, 23 February 2017 - 08:01 PM.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm currently playing Planescape: Torment and enjoying walking through Sigil, with different animations and rigs for each companion, a pity that this is beyond modern games.

• Idara, Zaret Voruta, oddrheia and 2 others like this

Cerebro83

Cerebro83

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, please!! I'm using IE Mod for POE1 just for this one feature.

• Joral likes this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I am trying to sign up for Reddit to ask on there Q&A, but it is not letting me create an account :S

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My views? Sure. Why not? I'll never use it, but who cares if it's there for people who would?

I'm on the other side of the equation, IE I want *faster* movement rates. Moving across a map that I've already explored five times takes *FOREVER*.

Edited by Katarack21, 24 February 2017 - 01:33 PM.

• Hertzila and illathid like this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

*Sigh* I got a joking answer on the livestream, 6mil goal *Sigh*. Apparently there are not enough people interested in it to add it to the list. Kind of not the answer I think we wanted :(.

Basically the statement was " it is so far down on our list of things, so no"

Ok well that kind of took my mood and tanked it.

Edited by Joral, 24 February 2017 - 01:56 PM.

• Jonathan_Crow likes this

Jonathan_Crow

Jonathan_Crow

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Steam:jonathan_crow
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah.. Josh just said that we shouldn't expect this feature in the nearest future = ( 

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah.. Josh just said that we shouldn't expect this feature in the nearest future = ( 

The way he said it was a little harsh as well. Considering I have Backed the DCE I have no idea what to think right now, going to just walk away for abit and think. I personally would have thought the option since they said it would not be difficult to add in would be atleast considered instead of dismissed that way.

• oddrheia likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3138 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Shame. I guess the same is true of cyan selection circles for neutral NPCs and something to prevent robot-sync movement :(

injurai

injurai

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

How else will I strut and flex through town?

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yet they added big head as an option. Maybe someone else can get a better response :(. Going for a walk, have a good day guys. Thanks for listening.

Edited by Joral, 24 February 2017 - 02:17 PM.

meschert

meschert

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Don't despair, for those who are interested (sounds like more than we may have realized) let's just keep the conversation going. Seems like it's built into the engine clearly in scenes shown, it just hasn't been prioritized as an active toggle...yet
  • oddrheia and Joral like this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Don't despair, for those who are interested (sounds like more than we may have realized) let's just keep the conversation going. Seems like it's built into the engine clearly in scenes shown, it just hasn't been prioritized as an active toggle...yet

Agreed, Thank You. *Hope*

Edited by Joral, 24 February 2017 - 08:20 PM.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment!

• illathid likes this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment!

Most likely. However I believe I am already at that point. I will wait and see.

Cerebro83

Cerebro83

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, to maybe lighten the mood a little: This option has been modded into Pillars 1. Deadfire seems to get more modding friendly, so maybe some talented coder can mod this feature (and others, like the cyan circles) into the game.

Still, I find it a bit sad that they take the time to include a big head mode - which for me is a useless *take a look, chuckle, never use it again* feature, but discard a walking toggle this harshly. Especially since it seems to be so simple to implement, as everything needed (animations etc.) will be in the game anyway.

Edited by Cerebro83, 24 February 2017 - 11:16 PM.

• Joral likes this

Joral

Joral

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, to maybe lighten the mood a little: This option has been modded into Pillars 1. Deadfire seems to get more modding friendly, so maybe some talented coder can mod this feature (and others, like the cyan circles) into the game.

Still, I find it a bit sad that they take the time to include a big head mode - which for me is a useless *take a look, chuckle, never use it again* feature, but discard a walking toggle this harshly. Especially since it seems to be so simple to implement, as everything needed (animations etc.) will be in the game anyway.

I am also hoping that it will be modded in if they choose not to add it as a feature. And since it is already in the game, the option to have it as a toggle would have made sense. I do not know why he was so harsh with his statement. It almost seemed like a personal hatred for the feature rather than a "its a low priority right now" statement.

I am not trying to cause an argument, I love Obsidian games. During the live stream all other questions got actual answers and explanations, but this question got dismissed with disdain and condescension. As a backer and fan of Obsidian games I was just stunned with the tone of response. I still do not know how to react. The only thing I know I want to do is try and show that there are more people who are interested in this sort of feature, especially in an RPG. Though after seeing and hearing the tone of his response and the look on his face, I doubt it would matter.

However I plan to try. so I will keep commenting, and asking people if they would like to see a walk toggle in the game. And I will try to set up a poll once the forums become more active with people interested in the game. So please keep commenting on this thread.

• oddrheia and Jonathan_Crow like this

oddrheia

oddrheia

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Please!

I can't stand and do not play the first Pillars without IE mod, which adds the walking toggle.  But, considering how many developers that mod burned through during the numerous patches, debugging and support, the future of IE mod for PoE II is pretty bleak. 

To reiterate, many have asked for it for the first game.

It was popular enough request to be modded in.

The framework for walking animation is already in.

It does not need to be imposed on people who do not want it - a toggle is all we ask for!

Here is to hoping we get heard this time... especially since the request is coming from the backers to whom the devs  allegedly pledged to listen!

Edited by oddrheia, 26 February 2017 - 01:29 PM.

Idara

Idara

Dark Watcher Of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'm another fan of the walk toggle. I end up playing PoE with the party almost always in stealth mode, even through areas they'd already searched, just to have the slower movement. Having them run everywhere is just...wrong.

I'm sorry Josh was dismissive with you, Joral - here's hoping the devs realise there are more people who would like this feature than they thought.
  • oddrheia and Jonathan_Crow like this

Hertzila

Hertzila

Infiltrator of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I would never touch this toggle unless they went ahead and added an annoying mechanical difference to it, but I don't see any reasons against including it either, so why not. Assuming it doesn't take long implement. You wouldn't think that it would, since NPCs have it already, but who knows, maybe they figured that party characters should look better than their NPC walk-cycle looked, so they neved added it.

I am also hoping that it will be modded in if they choose not to add it as a feature. And since it is already in the game, the option to have it as a toggle would have made sense. I do not know why he was so harsh with his statement. It almost seemed like a personal hatred for the feature rather than a "its a low priority right now" statement.

I am not trying to cause an argument, I love Obsidian games. During the live stream all other questions got actual answers and explanations, but this question got dismissed with disdain and condescension. As a backer and fan of Obsidian games I was just stunned with the tone of response. I still do not know how to react. The only thing I know I want to do is try and show that there are more people who are interested in this sort of feature, especially in an RPG. Though after seeing and hearing the tone of his response and the look on his face, I doubt it would matter.

I think you're seeing hostility and malicious intent where there is none. If I remember correctly, the answer happened at a point where alcohol might have had an effect and I think he was just surprised and amused that someone would ask about such a featureless feature. There's no gameplay difference between running and walking, there's no precision benefit you would get in other games since your movement is as accurate as your mouse cursor is and it seemed like they have received way more comments about how the party moves too slow even in fast mode and that they should add faster movement. Asking for a feature all about going slower seems like such a niche feature that it could easily fly under the radar and land in the infinite backlog.

Heck, I was laughing with him. Until I saw this thread, I didn't think anyone would seriously ask for such a "feature" and that had to be a troll/joking question about how slow the party already moves.

Edited by Hertzila, 26 February 2017 - 02:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users