Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

As a crew of seafarers, they're absolutely dependant on that ship. They're spending their whole time on it. It's their home. They know it down to the last plank. And if anything happens, they can only do as much as the ship allows them to. They're married to it, or more precisely: bound to it.

I would certainly refrain from insulting it. :D

So either something intimidating and suitably evil-overlord-y, or something that expresses that relationship. I don't think a name that comes down to "oh, that b!tch *shrug*" is appropriate. :)

Yeah, well unless the ship is cursed and binds the pirates' souls to it so that they cannot leave it and must travel the oceans for all eternity... Then they might not like it :p

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

A) Model/Type that our ship would be based on
B) Name of our Ship
C) Fate/Role of our Ship

Suggestions so far:

A)
1.) repurposed sea monster
2.) Barque
3.) Sloop
4.) Brig
5.) Brigantine
6.) Canoe
7.) Caravel
8.) Junk (Ship)
9.) Pirogue
10.) Schooner
11.) Frigate

B)
1.) The Black Bead
2.) Scallywag's Remorse
3.) The Black Smoke
4.) The Black Death
5.) The Blackfire
6.) The High Sea Harlot
7.) The Haunted Harlot
8.) Harbor-Bay Bitch
9.) The Salty Mistress
10.) The Mistress
11.) Mother's Embrace

12.) Ondra's Embrace

13.) The Lady of Lament

14.) The Mourning Mistress
15.) In the game the Black Isle Bastards actually argue over how to name their ship

C)
1.) Eothas destroyed or damaged the ship
2.) The ship is destroyed or damaged (for other reasons)
3.) The Black Isle Bastards' souls are bound to the ship
4.) The ship captures souls (of anyone)
5.) A soul inhabits the ship just as the Steward inhabited Caed Nua

Should I have missed suggestions, let me know. And keep posting new suggestions ;)

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

As a crew of seafarers, they're absolutely dependant on that ship. They're spending their whole time on it. It's their home. They know it down to the last plank. And if anything happens, they can only do as much as the ship allows them to. They're married to it, or more precisely: bound to it.

I would certainly refrain from insulting it. :D

So either something intimidating and suitably evil-overlord-y, or something that expresses that relationship. I don't think a name that comes down to "oh, that b!tch *shrug*" is appropriate. :)

Remember that pirates are a rowdy crowd. Calling their ship a bitch or a whore isn't an insult any more than a guy calling his friend a **** is. You can't seriously suggest that a group of hardy foul-mouth pirates would call their ship "mother's embrace". In fact, a pirate would likely view such a name as an insult and throw you to sharks just for suggesting it. None of the other pirates would even take you seriously again in any case.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

That actually depends.

For example we have that option "The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families (32 votes [34.04%] - View)"

in the poll.

So the pirates could have a noble background. Depending how you define that and flesh it out, they

may actually behave a bit differently from "normal" pirates.

I am not saying that I'm in favor of that or against that, just that in theory it's possible, that these pirates are not a rowdy crowd, maybe.

• Like 1

True, didn't think of that. That could actually lead to potential interesting developments, as some of these noble bastards become rowdier while others don't, some of them might begin to refer to the ship as a "bitch", which could then spark internal conflicts; some of the crew trying to cling to their noble heritage while others wanting to embrace being a pirate.

I know of no historical example where pirates or freebooters used another naming pattern than other sailors. No sane captain would have used a foul name for their ship. Of course there were more sincere ones like "Revenge" or "Satisfaction". But nothing like bitch, whore or something like that.

Here's a list of historical pirate ship names:

http://www.allthingsboat.com/boat-names/pirate-ship-names/

Have a look at "The Rose Pink" and "The Squirrel" and tell me again that Mother's Embrace is not suitable. ;)

You always have to remember that even the most evil human beings seldomly think of themselves as evil, but want to justify or even block out what they are doing. As long as you don't hate the ship on which you are sailing and are forced to be there you wouldn't give it a disrespectful or filthy name.

Every other pirate would make fun of you if you named your proud ship something like "Bloody Bitch" or "Wretched Whore". :)

But of course: if your soul is bound to that ship and you can't leave it then it's appropriate to give it a rough name.

So maybe if we decide on the story of the Bastards it will be easier to agree on a name that is appropriate. A lot of suggestions so far are good in one way or the other.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Pink was a type of ship, not a reference to the color, and roses weren't strictly the romantic symbol they are today. Why Ned gave that particular name to the ship, I don't know. Could be to commemorate his former exploits in port Rosemary or port Roseway, or could be something else.

Sure. Total coincedence. They just didn't notice it when they gave the name to that ship. And back in the days a pink rose would weaken everybody's knees. Nobody would give pink roses to women because it was considered an insult because roses were connected to violence and stuff.

And squirrels! Today's squirrels are not the same what they used to be. Jumping on people's backs, biting the head off - such things. Think of pitbulls with bushy tails. Ah - the good old days where pirate ships had all those foul and dirty names...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Right. People's perception of a mother's embrace also changed a bit. Back then it meant that your quick and agile mother would choke you if you refused to submit to her will. Very non-sissy name that. Full of brutal connotations.

This is one of the reasons why we leave the details to Obsidian :p

Because otherwise we would really argue over how squirrels are perceived nowadays and in the past.

Not to mention that people of Eora might perceive squirrels completely differently!

Don't make me ask the devs :p

• Like 1

Hey all, just wanted to add my two cents here: if you played the lighthouse quest in Ondra's Gift in the first Pillars of Eternity, then you have a fundraiser like this to thank. The game website Gamebanshee had a bunch of people team up to buy one of the backer inns. In working with Obsidian on this, that turned into the haunted lighthouse and the inn that followed. This is absolutely worth backing b/c Obsidian won't just give you the isle, they'll work to give it that extra special something to stand out.

Is there any way to get this featured on the crowdfunding page? B/c if even a fraction of the backers gave $10-$20, this would fund.

Edited by phimseto
  • Like 1

Hi phimseto,

welcome to our cozy little thread ;)

I liked the haunted lighthouse in Ondra's gift a lot.

First, we will get a Black Isle anyway for free. Obsidian has been very generous. Originally we wanted to crowd fund the island but they gave it to us for free.

Now we would like to crowd fund a pirate crew called the "Black Isle Bastards" who are of course associated with the Black Isle in some way.

I have been posting the link to this thread on the Fig campaign very often. You can see that this thread has about 4700 views. And 100 people voted on the poll. Yet "only" 21 backed this cause.

I am very very grateful to these 21 backers and they have all been generous in pledging here, but let's face the facts it is not enough.

Maybe we would have had stronger support if we were backing the island, but we already have the island.

I could ask Aarik if there was any way that Obsidian would promote our cause here.

On the other hand they already have proven to be very generous and I would dislike to strain their generosity.

But I am always grateful for hints and tips how to promote this cause, so thank you sharing your advice :)

Edited by Fluffle

Maybe we would have had stronger support if we were backing the island, but we already have the island.

I could ask Aarik if there was any way that Obsidian would promote our cause here.

On the other hand they already have proven to be very generous and I would dislike to strain their generosity.

But I am always grateful for hints and tips how to promote this cause, so thank you sharing your advice :)

Ah, I didn't realize the isle was "in". Still would have donated if only in hopes that the money will go toward sprucing up the location. That's great news.  

So what we're pitching for then is the "Build a pirate party" level, still 5k. For what it's worth, I opted for "become an honorary member" and that they fight for the cause of the common people, but that will be for the devs to decide.

My suggestions would be these:

1. Work with Aarik and the community team to approach the Obsidian crowdfunding team about drawing attention to this. Have it be part of their forthcoming 3mil update (ideally) or at the least part of their first "closing push" update. You'll need a refined version of everything you have in your first post, something more elevator pitch that explains what we have and what we are looking for. Make sure that it is *crystal clear* that backing this does not get you a copy of the game and that contributors still need to back the FIG.

2. Even though both pirate party slots are taken, offer this outside the box (literally in the case of the fundraising page) solution to Obsidian: ask them to find a backer willing to invest 5k for an inn. Let it be part of the pitch that if the collective efforts of backers hit the needed 5k slots, Black Isle will have its unique pirate party *and* an inn on the island for everyone to enjoy. Knowing that there's a matching angel investor backer out there is usually good motivation for everyone else to pitch in an extra $10 or $20. Ideally, this arrangement should be in place before #1, as you'd want that information to be part of the promotion. 

3. Reach out to Gamebanshee for an interview. Considering this is a spiritual successor to their efforts, they should be willing to talk and alert their readers that this is a thing they can participate in. Also reach out to other, RPG specific sites like RPGCodex, who should be able to do a quick turnaround on press.

4. Like with the Ondra's Gift crowdfund, offer players a chance to be in the game. In that case, it was as a ledger of the lost found in the inn. In this case, you could have it be as something creative like captured ships crew manifests, gravestones (instead of player-written epitaphs let them choose from a prearranged list of appropriately pirate-y ends). 

I don't think it's pushing Obsidian to ask for these things.  In fact, this kind of stuff should help with the final push. If you need to, just offer to close things off once you hit that 5k mark to direct folks back to the crowdfunding page.

Edited by phimseto
  • Like 2

about 2.) The two pirate crew slots are not taken, they are free. But even if they were taken Obsidian promised us to still make our pirate crew if we reach the $5000.

The Black Isle is going to be a very small island and can only support one structure at most and only few NPCs.

So if we decided to put our ship and the crew on the island then it's full. Except one could still put some items or pets there.

Since the option that the ship of the Black Isle Bastards is damaged or destroyed seems popular I would imagine that the ship (or the remnants thereof) is at the Black Isle as are the Black Isle Bastards themselves.

I doesn't have to be the case though. If the ship and the pirates were not places on the island then someone could model their inn after a pirate hideout. It would then be the hideout of the Black Isle Bastards. For example you could meet them on sea and interact with them in some way and then later on meet them in their hideout again.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

I like the idea of shipwreck by endless storm around island made into an Inn where BIB crew is cursed and have to serve for eternity any sailor sailing by and maybe player can done some questing to lift a curse of endless storm to allow cursed BIB to leave and Inn can than be used as players safehouse?

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Since the pirate ship and the inn are 5000$ each, maybe including them on the island would influence the size of that island. Otherwise that ship and the inn would have to be created seperatly which would mean more work than doing them all together.

---

We're all doomed

I like the idea of shipwreck by endless storm around island made into an Inn where BIB crew is cursed and have to serve for eternity any sailor sailing by and maybe player can done some questing to lift a curse of endless storm to allow cursed BIB to leave and Inn can than be used as players safehouse?

Hey I like that idea :)

My idea was that while you are sailing through the Deadfire Archipelago you meet a part of the Black Isle Bastards on their ship. Their ship has been severely damaged and is going to sink. The player can decide to help the Black Isle Bastards to get home to the Black Isle or the player can kill them.

In any case the player will have the option to visit the Black Isle later on where he meets the rest of the crew either reunited with the rescued crew mates from before or not.

If the player had rescued the part of the Black Isle Bastards before they're very grateful. On the other hand if you killed their comrades before they don't know about it. You would have the chance to finish the rest of the Black Isle Bastards off for once and for all.

Also I'd really like the inn to be some kind of cave. That'd be cool. The pirates would use that cave as their hideout and serve drinks there!

Edited by Fluffle

Since the pirate ship and the inn are 5000$ each, maybe including them on the island would influence the size of that island. Otherwise that ship and the inn would have to be created seperatly which would mean more work than doing them all together.

As far as I understood Aarik, we cannot influence the size of the island. It is going to be a tiny island that is fact. The size is set. And as such there can only EITHER be an inn on it OR a ship on its beach. Not both.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

I have been thinking. I think that the tier "build a pirate party" does not include the tier "create an inn".

I don't believe we even have the option of turning our ship into an inn.

Creating a ship is one thing but turning it into an inn is another. So if we really wanted an inn on the Black Isle we would be going to depend on one of the inn backers.

And since there is already someone who'd like to turn his inn into a ship, we shouldn't turn our ship into an inn even if it was possible.

Edited by Fluffle

4. Like with the Ondra's Gift crowdfund, offer players a chance to be in the game. In that case, it was as a ledger of the lost found in the inn. In this case, you could have it be as something creative like captured ships crew manifests, gravestones (instead of player-written epitaphs let them choose from a prearranged list of appropriately pirate-y ends).

So now, let's talk about this. There are several approaches for this. The main idea is that you don't get much from donating. So is there any motivation to donate in the first place?

If you answer with: "Yes, you can become a member of the Black Isle Bastards in the game" or "Yes you will be mentioned in the game" - how should that work?

The tombstones in Pillars of Eternity 1 have been very ill received if I remember correctly for breaking immersion. So as @phimseto already wrote any messages should not be player written. But who is going to create that "prearranged list of appropriately pirate-y ends" that he suggests?

Also if we do get more supporters that list could be quite long.

In any case, if we do something like that, like a ledger or any kind where donators can immortalize themselves as lost Black Isle Bastards we need to take utmost care that that doesn't break immersion.

I would prefer a special section in the credits of the game, but that may be less of an incentive for some.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1