Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

The Black Island Bastad are a group of souls that were been relased from the cycle and attached to an object for an ancient object created by some engwithian, their existance has been dark with the time they got mad, but sometimes, they are actually lucid, they adapt the pirate identity because of one the craziest and funny members, that seeing pirates one day name themself the captain and everyone else his crew, with the time this help every one to get over their painfull existence and give them some happinest and fun, with their friends singing songs and laughting across their adventures, they protect the object that cursed them, so no one else have to live an existence like theirs,  you can help them to free them form the object, one free they will continue their songs around the existence out of the cycle, if there is some.

:huh:

you can fight them but you cant send them to the cycle, so is impossible to beat them.

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

Ahoy there you salty bastards!

Just wanted to drop by and see how you are all doing and I have also contributed to the cause! 

We're are still working hard on getting the Backer Portal up and running so everyone can have the opportunity pledge for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. As for you guys, once you guys collect all of the funds, we will still accept your pledge even after the Fig campaign is completed.

There will be a deadline, but there is no set date at this moment. 

We here at Obsidian wish you all the best in your community crowdfunding for the Black Isle Bastards and hope to see them in the game! 

This is great news! I'll be able to donate more once I get my next pay check. :)

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

So everyone, let's talk about the ship some more:

I would set up three categories:

A) Model/Type that our ship would be based on

B) Name of our Ship

C) Fate/Role of our Ship

Suggestions so far:

A)

1.) repurposed sea monster

B)

1.) The Black Bead

C)

1.) Eothas destroyed the ship

2.) The ship is a shipwreck (for other reasons)

3.) The Black Isle Bastards' souls are bound to the ship

4.) The ship captures souls (of anyone)

Should I have missed suggestions, please tell me and I will update this post. Also please post more suggestions for each category.

I plan on making a new poll for the ship with these three suggestions.

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

B) Name of our Ship

C) Fate/Role of our Ship

A) Brigantine

B) Scallywag's Remorse

C) Eothas destroyed the ship

Eothas destroying the ship sounds kinda interesting and ties the story a bit to our cause.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Myself I would like to add something to category "A". The repurposed sea monster is probably impossible to beat in popularity, but I can imagine that it is actually out of the scope of what Obsidian would do.

So I'd like to add some more "boring" options :p

A)
2.) Barque
3.) Sloop
4.) Brig
5.) Brigantine
6.) Canoe
7.) Caravel
8.) Junk (Ship)

9.) Pirogue

10.) Schooner

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

So everyone, let's talk about the ship some more:

B) Name of our Ship

C) Fate/Role of our Ship

​A) http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/famous-pirate-ships.htm

​There's a lot of different types there~ but I'd say a small pirate ship. Maybe a Square Rig.

512083863_6abc3eed8c_b.jpg

​B) I'm fine with anything, The Black Bead, The Black Smoke, The Black Death etc. etc. The Blackfire

​C) Eothas destroyed it!

Rum rum rum rum rum rum rum rum

Rum rum lovely

​rum!

• Like 3

If the name of the Pirate Crew is Black Isle Bastards, then it could stand to reason that they might view their ship as their symbolic mother of sorts and thus call her "The High Sea Harlot" or "Whore of the Black Isle" or something like that.

The ship of such an infamous pirate crew should obviously be something special, maybe an advanced 'prototype' warship of a large nation which would give the ship the edge the pirates need to be successful, or on a completely opposite approach the ship could be really old and have partially mystical origins. The latter approach would fit well if the crew's souls are bound to the ship idea takes flame.

If on the other hand the innkeeper route is taken, then it might be hilarious to have the crew be utterly incompetent as pirates and seamen, and then have weave the shipwreck and inn together and neatly have their inn built inside their beached broken ship. If this is the route taken, there should definitely be a quest where you could obtain your own little monkey. Or a foul mouthed parrot.

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Update: I took out the option: "The Black Isle Bastards are stranded and their ship was destroyed or stolen" from the current poll. So you may want to revisit the poll.

That option will be incorporated in the upcoming poll about the ship. When the ship is destroyed it's very probably that the BIBs are stranded.

Don't worry I didn't forget what I said. I will change a running poll as rarely as possible.

The idea behind the Scallywag's Remorse is that everything doesn't have to be named "Black".

Yep, we already have the "Black Isle Bastards" and the "Black Isle". A name without "black" would be a nice change.

• Like 1

@Osvir

How about a pirate song that in some way includes the Black Isle Bastards? ;)

A couple more name suggestions.

"Haunted Harlot"

"Harbor-Bay Bitch"

Another idea that came to mind in the innkeeping shipwreck scenario is that the crew's souls being bound to the ship could still work, maybe they were a group of mutineers who ganked the only competent seaman on the ship, were cursed to inhabit the ship for all eternity and then in their incompetence crashed their ship in the first storm they ran into, and now they're just screwed.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Okay about running the ship as an inn:

I know that is an option in the poll and I WILL leave it there. I won't remove that.

Because you should still be able to express your preferences.

However, at the same time, I would carefully prepare you for the thought that our ship is probably not going to be an inn.

I am not taking away any decisions here from you. But it may very well happen that our ship is not going to be an inn, because I know that

someone else had that idea and he spent A LOT of money on that so we should respect that.

• Like 2

What if the ship was called... "The Bastard" :p

​​We are the bastards!

Bastards of the seeeaas~!

I'll work on something xD

Actually I like the line of thinking there.

We are the "bastards" so our ship should be some kind of the worst, worse, UBER, whatever bastard.

I don't know if there is an appropriate term for that. But the line of thinking would be that our ship is the "worst" or "biggest" bastard of all of us.

Edited by Fluffle

So confusing, too many bastards on that tiny isle! :lol:

You don't get it... this is THE Bastard...

​Can the Ship itself be a Crew member? The ship IS the Captain??? xD

​​We are the bastards!

Bastards of the seeeaas~!

I'll work on something xD

Actually I like the line of thinking there.

We are the "bastards" so our ship should be some kind of the worst, worse, UBER, whatever bastard.

I don't know if there is an appropriate term for that. But the line of thinking would be that our ship is the "worst" or "biggest" bastard of all of us.

There you go... the ships name... The Biggest Bastard xD

• Like 1

So confusing, too many bastards on that tiny isle! :lol:

You don't get it... this is THE Bastard...

​Can the Ship itself be a Crew member? The ship IS the Captain??? xD

Not the captain I think, but I do think that some pirates would consider their ship part of their crew.

Uhm... does anyone know One Piece? xD

Edit: Exactly, yeah it would be THE bastard, I am liking that more and more

Edited by Fluffle

A) Frigate (my favorite ship when playing Henry Morgan in Pirates! on C64)

B) The (woeful) Mistress (or another adjective - a mistress is a paramour, a concubine - usually the mother of a noble bastard. At the same time a mistress can also be a ruler of the household and so on. It's a term with many meaning which all fit. And usually a ship is female!).

C) damaged by Eothas (not completely destroyed - BIBs need help to repair her)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So about One Piece, there is one part with the ship I particularly like.

The idea is that the pirate crew has grown such a strong bond with their ship that the ship actually develops a life on its own.

From the One Piece wiki:

"Over time, the ship came to be loved by the crew as a home and as a friend, so much so that she literally took on a life of her own and became just as much a part of the crew as any of them."

I know One Piece should not be an inspiration for our campaign here, so don't worry. However, I do like this part.

In terms of Pillars of Eternity a soul could inhabit the ship, just as the Steward inhabited Caed Nuad for example.

And the pirates could be the only ones who can interact with/hear that soul.

• Like 1