Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baseball 2017

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2827 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
RE: stars then being able to be stars in today's game...I dunno, but I think the enhancements in baseball glove technology over the last 90 years may have a significant effect on batting averages and FIP.

Which, I suppose makes Walter Johnson, Cy Young, and Christy Mathewson's accomplishments more impressive. Except that hitters during the dead all era never really swing from the heels, either. And most analysts today agree that the most efficient way to score runs is for the Manager to sign for the ol' Three Run Home Run play.

Edited by Leferd, 22 March 2017 - 09:00 AM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

This is funny. Fan ar Astros camp wearing a Nolan Ryan jersey is sitting right next to the real Nolan Ryan... and doesn't realize it: http://www.msn.com/e...ocid=spartandhp

• Leferd likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts

Dallas Green passed away. He was a real baseball lifer: http://www.msn.com/e...ocid=spartandhp

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2827 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ian Kinsler, ought to choke just a little bit on his own spittle.

C7je9GKXwAUv7vc.jpg

Gimme more bat flips.

animation_yang.gif

giphy.gif

• Hurlshot and Guard Dog like this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2827 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

K. Glad baseball season's over. Back to basketball.

C7lEkPRVMAAB7nI.jpg

• Hurlshot and Guard Dog like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts

LOL, I thought the same thing after the game. It's nice the US won but I really don't care. I'm just glad none of my teams' players got hurt and now we can play games that matter.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts

Ok 9 days to go with Roger Maris. He was the man who broke Babe Ruth's HR record and found no joy in doing it. If you've never seen the movie 61 you should definitely give it a look. This picture is Maris hitting his 61st on October 1 1961 (according to the Dallas Morning news away)

maris.jpg

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2827 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You mean 61*. 

*Cough*

• Guard Dog likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts

Eight days left with the closest thing baseball has to royalty. Cal Ripken Jr.

hi-res-88d6d8285bceba20842aba362e804739_

And one of my all time favorites Andre Dawson. His heydays were with the Cubs and Expos but I only ever say him play for the Marlins so:

andre_dawson_1996_05_01.jpg

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts

This is an easy one. Mickey Mantle, IMO the greatest of a team that has fielded the greatest players. You all know him. He was a larger-than-life figure in his day. He was an all star in every season he played (that he wasn't injured) except his rookie year. 3x MVP, integral to seven World Championship Yankees teams. He was a triple crown winner and 4x led the Majors in home runs. He was a big part of the 1961 home run race that saw Maris break the record. But what most folks don't know is it almost didn't happen.

In his rookie year, 1951, Mantle was invited to Spring Training with the Yankees after just two minor league seasons. He impressed them so much they signed him to a $7500 contract (equivalent to around $200k today)  and gave him uniform number 6. That was no accident. Ruth was 3, Gehrig 4, DiMaggio 5, Mantle 6... the next big thing. But Mantle was never a man who dealt well with pressure and he descended into a slump so deep he was sent down to the Yankees AAA team in Kansas City. He called his father and told him he didn't think he could play anymore. His father's reply was "Then you can come back to Oklahoma and work in the mines for the rest of your life". That was what he needed to hear. Mantle was back with the Yankees the following year wearing #7 and the rest is history.

7 days to go!

mickey-mantle(3).jpg

Edited by Guard Dog, 25 March 2017 - 05:19 AM.

• Hurlshot likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 542 posts

Six days to kill. One week from today we'll be watching real games. To mark that number is Stanisław Franciszek Musiał, who (considering attitudes of Americans in the '20s) went by the name Stanley Frank Musial. He has a career batting average of .331 which is amazing in any era. He was a 24X All Star, 3X WS Champion, 7X NL batting champion and 3X MVP. But for a two year stint in the Navy during WWII he played his entire professional life for the St Louis Cardinals. His number is retired and there is a very cool statue of him at the stadium.

54d387cd746f7.image.jpg

Edited by Guard Dog, 26 March 2017 - 06:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users