Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NFL 2017-2018 Season

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8497 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Football seems to have the worst contract system for players in pro sports, which is crazy because it is the most lucrative to the owners and dangerous to the players.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5230 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I dunno. You cant give a 5-10 year guaranteed contract to someone whos career could be over in one play.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1416 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Football seems to have the worst contract system for players in pro sports, which is crazy because it is the most lucrative to the owners and dangerous to the players.

Players made roughly 4.96 billion of 6 billion revenue last year. That's not quite right, because that assumes that every team spent to their cap limit, but it is, at the very least, what is allocated to the players. That's roughly 83% of the NFL's revenue. I'm not sure how this compares to other sports, but it's not like it's INSANELY out of whack to split the last billion between 32 different owners. That's only 30 million per team per year.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 29 March 2017 - 05:19 AM.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1416 posts

On a side-note, the split being so relatively small also explains why owners don't feel like paying for their own stadiums: it would take decades to pay off stadiums with the money they actually get from their NFL enterprises - never minding any other costs. Obviously, that doesn't make the NFL making cities pay for it instead any better, but it at least explains part of it.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 29 March 2017 - 05:23 AM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16952 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"I dunno. You cant give a 5-10 year guaranteed contract to someone whos career could be over in one play.     "

So.. are you suggesting that a player gets crippled working for the NFL they should be just thrown in the trash? If a team is worried that a player may not be able to get through a full 5+ year contract then sign him to a shorter term but don't sign someone for 5 years than go 'oops' half way through it. 

Look at AP as one exmaple. After his legal troubles were resolved he felt   let down by MINNY, he asked for his release, he was attacked for trying to get out of his contract, MINNY bullied and shamed him and forced him to stay on. He played well. Now, after a year wiped out by injury they uncermeoniouly dumped him no questions asked and everyone praises them for it.

EVIL.     

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5230 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So.. are you suggesting that a player gets crippled working for the NFL they should be just thrown in the trash?

What's the alternative? Can a crippled player suit up? You going to carry a non-contributor on your books because your a good guy?

If a team is worried that a player may not be able to get through a full 5+ year contract then sign him to a shorter term but don't sign someone for 5 years than go 'oops' half way through it.

Personally I agree. However, the actual length of NFL contracts are smoke and mirrors. The true value can be seen in the guaranteed monies. Everything else is fluff.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16952 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"You going to carry a non-contributor on your books because your a good guy?"

No. You pay him what you owe him (btw I think insurance and what not covers this already in most sports - see Chris Bosh in the NBA). It wouldn't count against your cap (for sports that have caps which pretty mucha ll major team sports have now one way or another even thoguh MLB is a 'soft' cap).

. "However, the actual length of NFL contracts are smoke and mirrors. The true value can be seen in the guaranteed monies. Everything else is fluff."

Yup.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5230 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo set to retire. :(

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1416 posts

Probably didn't like sitting around for a couple of months not knowing what was going to happen. Take the easy job at CBS, Tony: may you be a better announcer than awful Phil Simms.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5230 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Cowboys officially release Tony Romo.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16952 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Cowboys' plan all along. thyey did not want Romo to go to another team so they decided tos crew him over to the point he would just give up. Of coruse, he'll be all gracious but total bullcrap evil pieces of crap.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6955 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What's the alternative? Can a crippled player suit up? You going to carry a non-contributor on your books because your a good guy?

If a team is worried that a player may not be able to get through a full 5+ year contract then sign him to a shorter term but don't sign someone for 5 years than go 'oops' half way through it.

Personally I agree. However, the actual length of NFL contracts are smoke and mirrors. The true value can be seen in the guaranteed monies. Everything else is fluff.

players ain't going into these contracts dewey-eyed and innocent.  is not as if players is getting the old bait and switch, eh? 

keep in mind that other than the superstars, players got extreme limited leverage save through collective bargaining.  only the smallest fraction 'o college players end up being drafted, and a relative small number o' those actual stick with a team. the difference in talent 'tween your typical former auburn star (and future ups delivery guy) vs a 2nd string mike backer for detroit is gonna be slim. for over 50% of nfl roster spots, there is literal hundreds o' guys who can replace nfl players in an instant w/o any measurable decrease to the quality o' the product. furthermore, even for the rare college player who makes an nfl roster, the average duration o' an nfl career is just under four years.  how many former college stars sitting at home on sundays would happily play for the league minimum and no guarantee money? imagine gifted trying to negotiate a raise from his boss under similar circumstances.

even so, while the nflpa has been monumental stoopid on more than one occasion, they ain't weak. heck, if the nflpa weren't so concerned with avoiding olympic-style drug testing or making sure superstars still got their stratosphere contracts, the player's association could get any number o' concessions for its members. better retirement benefits? higher minimum salaries? etc.

*shrug*

pro football is a stoopid way to make a living.  we feel terrible for the mike websters and junior seaus who suffered cte, and owners should be held responsible for their complicity and fraud regarding head trauma and pro football. the thing is, cte is no longer an unknown.  the dangers o' playing football is largely known.  the brevity o' careers is known.  the ability o' owners to cut players is known. is not mephistopheles hiding stuff in the fine print kinda deception, eh? players is grown men making hundreds o' thousands to tens o' millions o' dollars per year to play football.  am not weeping over how nfl players has been exploited.  

HA! Good Fun!

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1416 posts

RIP former Raven Todd Heap's 3 year old daughter, whom was accidentally run over and killed today. :(

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5230 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Aw crap, and hes the one that accidentally ran her over! :( I don't know if I'd be able to live with myself if I did that.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2841 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

C9xS5McVwAAPDFj.jpg

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5230 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Weird timing. He just beat two murder charges and his lawyer thought he had a good chance of overturning his conviction.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

Yeah I was thinking that myself. Had he been convicted and had two more life sentences then it would be less surprising. But you don't know what's in a mans head.

• Hurlshot likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8497 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

He was still serving a life sentence despite the recent trial win. It is doubtful he was going to see the light of day anytime soon given the litany of charges. I do wonder if they will be able to do a CTE scan and whether they will connect some of his behavior back to concussions.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2841 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Or maybe he's just a sociopath.

https://mmqb.si.com/...-suicide-prison
  • Hurlshot likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1416 posts

Interestingly, because he died during his appeal for the other murder, his crimes are now considered legally void.

https://twitter.com/...651898930110464

Apparently, a murderer, but not a convicted murderer. From what I'm hearing, in specifically MA (where the murders took place), civil cases are much harder to win if the criminal trial does not succeed (so not like the OJ Simpson case that took place in California is what I'm saying). He may have done this to shield his family from having their assets taken away as a result of the murders.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 19 April 2017 - 10:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users