Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NFL 2017-2018 Season

• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Welp, maybe now the Texans might trade for him.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 568 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Now this is something. The Texans trade Orsweiler to the Browns and had to throw in a 2nd round pick to pay them to take out the trash. All the Texans got in return was to swap comp picks. And of course they got rid of a problem.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts

Very NBA-esque.

• Guard Dog likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I cant see what leverage Dallas has. JJ has already publicly stated that he will "do right rule" wrt Romo so all teams have to do is wait him out or he goes back on his work and sits on Romo until someone becomes desperate.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts

Huh, the Packers signed somebody kinda major. Fancy that.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 568 posts

The Patriots have bought Tom Brady a new weapon: Brandin Cooks from the Saints. They gave up a 1st & 3rd in the dradt to do it. Not a bad return for New Orleans who really are coming up on a rebuilding season or two: http://www.msn.com/e...ocid=spartanntp

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Welp, the entire Dallas secondary has been poached. I'm pretty sure I could be a walk-on starter at this point. :lol:

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts

My only regret is that the Packers didn't poach one of them...especially because we'd get all 4 compensatory picks even if we had taken two of them because of how many UFAs we've lost. :(

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1820 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sweet, Ravens added a CB and a safety that should be upgrades over the guys they cut.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sweet, Ravens added a CB...

;( 

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts

What's weird is that cutting Tony Romo could've covered both Carr and Claiborne. Sure, there would have been some heavy dead money this year, but getting them both on 3 year-contracts would've made it workable. Instead, he's still being held on to on the hope of trading him, and free agency has passed the Cowboys by.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Meh. Claiborne has been a career disappointment, the first half of last season notwithstanding. Carr was the bigger loss just with his ability to never come off the field. Anthony Brown was a pleasant surprise for a 6th rounder though. There's a lot of holes to fill...

And iirc, cutting Romo wouldn't have freed cap space until 1 Jun, right?

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts

For this year, more or less. Like I said, there'd have been a hefty dead cap penalty for this year...but if you sign your guy(s) on a 3 year deal and push their cap hits a year or two off into the future (which would be easy to do, and would make sense to do, because cutting Romo pre-June 1st means less cap space this year...which means more cap space in the next year or two, because his dead money would've normally been spread over the next couple of years instead of the majority of it hitting immediately like it would with a pre-June 1st cut). It being a pre or post-June 1st cut is not really a huge limiting factor EXCEPT for guys you might only want to sign for one year instead of multiple.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 25 March 2017 - 08:47 AM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 568 posts

Sign on a church in San Diego:

636262328325683511-IMG-0753.JPG

• ShadySands and ManifestedISO like this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts

https://mobile.twitt...512375729672192

"Tony Romo has taken situation very personally in Dallas and has distanced himself from teammates and coach who were "Team Dak" per source."

YO, WHEN ARE YOU GONNA LET HIM GO, GUYS

do right by tony, my foot

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16957 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's a NFL team. What did you expect? This is the league that the owners don't even have to honour signed contracts (NFLPA deserves blame too for being annoyingly weak in negotiations).

Sign a guy for 7 years. that guy is stuck with you for 3 years no matter what. You can dump him after 3. LMAO

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts

Technically, it's in their contracts that the teams can dump them. But yeah, it's a crappy player's union...and more, it's a crappy sport to be a player in, period, due to how many players are needed to fill out a roster. Football is too physically demanding, which means you have to have more players, which means you need to spread the money around in order to pay those players, which means those players get paid less, and it means they individually have less power, etc., etc.

Anyone who has options in multiple major sports should go anywhere but football - with brain (and other physical) damage, less pay, less guaranteed pay, and the possibility of being thrown out the door at almost any given second, it's just a no brainer to go elsewhere. Relatively speaking to the rest of us, though, it's not a terrible deal...but it could still be better.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 28 March 2017 - 11:32 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5311 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Cowboys extend contracts of Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli, Rich Bisaccia.

Interesting to nobody except me (:lol:), I think this is a nice move. 

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16957 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Technically, it's in their contracts that the teams can dump them."

I know. That's why I didn't agrue the legalities. It is legal by the rules but it isn't honourable. And, like we both said, the NFLPA is at fault too.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1485 posts

Yeah, it'd be neat to see how contracts would work if the players could opt out at any point, too. Of course, if that were the case, the league would probably want to get rid of guaranteed money entirely to make it a more equal playing field...if the players want something, they always have to give something up, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure they'd prefer to have more guaranteed money than being able to opt out of their own contracts for seeking not totally significantly more money - outside of a few cases where players are getting criminally underpaid outside of the rookie contract, anyways; also, the crappy rookie wage scale is a thing the NFLPA argued for in order to benefit veterans...but the situation hasn't honestly changed that much, because it's just made rookies that much more valuable by guaranteeing that they're cheap - but that's just conjecture. Teams would fight back that on anyways by only signing shorter deals with players "known" to be money-seekers, I think.

Edited by Bartimaeus, 29 March 2017 - 04:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users