Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

crazy ideas you like to have (but most likely not get)

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1015 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A "New Game+" option that makes a solo play experience more tolerable. Such as making you unable to take companions, but also gives you immunity to hard CC's like paralyze and petrify. They can still be detrimental in some way, just not a hard CC making you dead the instant a 10 sec petrify lands.

Well... there's already the Bareth's Blessing New Game+. That might cover it.

C'mon guys, these ideas are too vanilla. The titles says CRAZY ideas that you will most likely NOT get.

Regggler

Regggler

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd like less text and reading.

That's pretty radical I know, but I felt PoE suffered from Telling not Showing and Wall of Text.

You have an interactive medium and I think you should play to its strengths. It's not a book.

... that is pretty radical :)

I personally enjoy text-heavy RPGs. My personal fear is that a focus on "Show, don't tell" basically leads to Mass Effect. I know, I know, the whole thing is not that black and white, and I'm all for using the medium to its capacity. I do feel that Pillars 1 did well in this regard, however, and struck exactly the right balance for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Back to the crazy ideas: Make every soul reading a mini-dungeon where you wander through the person's soul. Depending on the person, scenery could range from happy sunlit forests with fluffy bunnies to non-euclidean torture chambers à la "The Cell". Sometimes at the same time.

• Lord_Mord and tinysalamander like this

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd like less text and reading.

That's pretty radical I know, but I felt PoE suffered from Telling not Showing and Wall of Text.

You have an interactive medium and I think you should play to its strengths. It's not a book.

Recently this small indie game came up. Maybe it fits your needs?

• Katarack21 and Heijoushin like this

Quillon

Quillon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd like there to be a quest to find a Priest of Eothas or a settlement guided by a Priest of Eothas in which whoever you talk to would tell you to speak to the "Priest" instead. When we find the Priest we will be SHOCKED to learn that he's in fact Durance, who sought out Eothas before us and got forgiven somehow and now he no more has pox scars and has white hair & long white beard and is now called [to]Lerance  :p

• Regggler, JerekKruger, Lord_Mord and 1 other like this

Valmy

Valmy

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Steam:valmy77
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would love to play a RPG someday where the whole plot and parts of the world you explore are radically different depending on the choices you make in the game. I know that is so impractical it would never happen, at least not with any production values, but I think that would be amazing.

• JFSOCC and tinysalamander like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4669 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A group of spoiled wealthy locals at the city docks want to hire out your ship for a fishing expedition. Once under way they complain incessantly about the mediocre conditions; lousy cabins, filthy hammocks, poor food, rats, a leaky deck, and so forth. Eventually, the ship is attacked by a giant sea serpent and all the tourists are consumed because the beast is attracted to their ugly vacation clothing. Your hired crew gives the serpent a big round of applause as it sails away into the sunset. Once you get back, the local government seizes your ship while investigating the attack. The angry families of the dead tourists hire assassins for revenge killings. :p

• Ninjamestari and gogocactus like this

tinysalamander

tinysalamander

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 349 posts

A group of spoiled wealthy locals at the city docks want to hire out your ship for a fishing expedition. Once under way they complain incessantly about the mediocre conditions; lousy cabins, filthy hammocks, poor food, rats, a leaky deck, and so forth. Eventually, the ship is attacked by a giant sea serpent and all the tourists are consumed because the beast is attracted to their ugly vacation clothing. Your hired crew gives the serpent a big round of applause as it sails away into the sunset. Once you get back, the local government seizes your ship while investigating the attack. The angry families of the dead tourists hire assassins for revenge killings. :p

Then you torture assassins until they point to the right people then you sue those because killing is not enough…

Duskshift

Duskshift

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts

More writing love in dialogue for characters with unusual personalities like insane, evil, greedy, naive and religious. I mean not just for roleplaying experience and immersion, but also not getting shoehorned into certain dispositions (not everything needs to make sense).

Like bursting into spontainious laughter, doing a sudden "let us pray" speech or just simply going for a "gimmeallyourmoney" when meeting a quest giver would be a bit more fun on occasion.

Edited by Duskshift, 19 March 2017 - 03:40 AM.

• gogocactus likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4669 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Convert all racial attribute modifiers into specific combat modifiers. For example, an Orlan could get +3 Will, -3 Fort, +3 Accuracy, +2 Deflection. The attribute ranges could still be modified based on the original attribute modifiers, so you could still build an Orlan with a 20 Perception.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4669 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A mysterious submarine... grown from the back of an ancient sea creature, and powered by glowing adra. What is it for, I wonder? Does it have some malicious intent?

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No good ending possible for the game. Whatever you do, you can just totally screw up things in different ways.

• gogocactus likes this

Varana

Varana

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Have you played Tides of Numenera, yet? :D
  • Katarack21 likes this

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 459 posts

Then you torture assassins until they point to the right people then you sue those because killing is not enough…

No no no, that misses the whole point about world being unjust and unfair. Better that the assassins torture you and your crew, and you'll be barely able to escape, with the assassins already having sunk your ship, sold all your gear and killed your puppy. Nothing beats a revenge fantasy that gets turned into a farce ^^

Edited by Ninjamestari, 21 March 2017 - 10:39 AM.

• gogocactus likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4669 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • You encounter a soul thief--a creature that is able to swap her soul for yours--and she puts you in her body. Your party doesn't believe who you claim to be, at least not initially, and you are left to fend for yourself bereft of most of your powers in a feeble body.
  • A sea cave dungeon that floods during each high tide, leaving you unable to rest. It is inhabited by amphibious denizens that work for a slaver company. They keep their prisoners in the high ground area at back, which doesn't get flooded.
  • A mysterious island that only appears at night, when it is periodically visited by a ghost ship. Rumor has it that if you stay too long, you'll never be able to leave.
  • A peculiar fellow who claims to be investigating Watchers. He has some agents in Dyrwood that have been following your progress, and he occasionally scrys on you with the aid of a magic tea pot. In his back room he has a collection of perfectly preserved corpses of prior Watchers. He is secretly looking for a means to become a Watcher himself, and will resort to any means to get it.

• Ninjamestari likes this

tinysalamander

tinysalamander

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • You encounter a soul thief--a creature that is able to swap her soul for yours--and she puts you in her body. Your party doesn't believe who you claim to be, at least not initially, and you are left to fend for yourself bereft of most of your powers in a feeble body.

But powers are soul-powered, so… why? :)

MountainTiger

MountainTiger

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts

But powers are soul-powered, so… why? :)

Something about attunement to a particular body or something :)

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2462 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

One dedicated quest per character background if origin is Deadfire. A quest for escaped slaves, a quest for former laborers, etc.

• HangedMan and rjshae like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4669 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Non-human corporeal undead.

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1015 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've just realized that I want a Darcozzi Paladini companion. Pallegina takes things way too seriously. I want a paladin who makes witty remarks and teaches me how to love life. Also, I think the concept of Darcozzi Paladini needs a little fleshing out. How exactly does one go about advancing the interests of the Darcozzi family?

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Unified base values for Deflection and Accuracy, with Resolve and Perception having a bigger impact.

Wizards getting Arcane veil as their class feature instead of Arcane Assault.

At least 4 powers per Power level for Ciphers, compared to the two for 7 and 8.

Rogues being good.

Chanters being reworked so you can actually get Invocations off before the encounter is over. Also a rework of Phrases/Invocations, where Phrases have no level and Invocations follow the same level path of Spells and Powers(I-X, assuming progression works like PoE).

A rework of weapon damage with a formula: Weapon Damage = [((((Base Damage)*Quality)*Talents/Abilities)*Might)]+Lash*[((((Base Damage)*Quality)*Talents/Abilities)*Might)].

A soulbound katana with a quest to defeat a shapeshifting master of darkness who sends you into the future.

The talking weapon being Durance's soul bound in a blunderbuss and shouting obscenities or making lewd jokes.

Attribute points every X level(s).
  • Duskshift likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users