#Deadfire Q&A Twitch Stream with Josh Sawyer and Adam Brennecke

Storage and download requirements of pre-rendered maps are no doubt an important aspect when deciding what resolution they are in when shipping the game.

Would optional downloadable area maps/backgrounds in higher resolution be something you'd consider?

Many of the maps in PoE look a bit poor because of their row resolution when I play the game, so optional post-release downloads for those with disk to spare and high-resolution monitors would be very nice.

• Like 1

We're having another Q&A stream with Josh and Adam on Wednesday Feb. 8th 4PM PST on our twitch channel.

So...Feb 9th 2AM EET... I hope there will be a text version of this :)

You are also free to list your questions here!

Great)

General questions:

- How will you scale monk's ability to gain wounds? (without nerfing his early game) (and with lategame dipping in mind)

- Carnage will not generate focus, right? But will carnage still allow for weapon procs?

- Will Godlike races get headgear? Or at least headbands?

- Will there be barrier spells? I.e. spells which do not heal, but prevent x amount of damage?

- Will there be enchants similar to Durgan refinements?

- Will there still be weapons with speed enchant? Will we be able to apply this enchant ourselves?

- If you are going to make weapons (that you find early in the game) obsolete (as the game goes on) by limiting their capacity of being augmented by more powerful enchants - it means there will be less unique weapon options in the late game. Will you add twice as more unique weapons, or do you have other plan to circumvent a possible situation where there are only a few optimal lategame weapons? 

- Weapon sets: will you allow to assign the same weapon to different weapon sets? Let's say I hold a single sword x, but once engaged to swap to sword x + shield y? (it could be similar to NWN2 sets)

- It looks like PoE1 (at some point) had a stealth / sound alert system in mind; with spells and attacks alerting NPCs and they would rush to join an ongoing fight. Any plans for this? 

- Sneak attacks deal bonus damage vs vulnerable or flanked enemies. Since some monsters/classes won't have engagement slots (unless they invest into), will this mean that they are flanked by default?

- Will enemy AI (at least for high-lvl humanoids), be intelligent enough to focus fire someone?

Power Level/Source questions:

- Will the damage formula for spells use power_level or power_source_points?

- Will this ^ affect damage multiplicatively or additively (in line with might coefficient)?

- Will a character get access to the Rank of spells, his respective Power Level is equal to?

- If Empower will add 3 power levels to a next spell cast, how will you balance it's relative benefit in early vs late game (i.e. situation when you have low current power level vs high power level). At the moment it looks like Empower will become weaker as the game progresses. (1 vs 1+3; 9 vs 9+3)

And I will echo Boeroer's question:

- Will you rework unarmed combat, namely Novice's Suffering and Transcendent Suffering?

The way it is done now results in nearly the same damage for grazes, hits an crits because all damage modifiers only apply to the whimpy base damage and not to the bonus that the Suffering talents will give you. This also makes things like Savage Attack, Sneak Attack and all other base damage modifiers a bad pick for unarmed characters.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

Storage and download requirements of pre-rendered maps are no doubt an important aspect when deciding what resolution they are in when shipping the game.

Would optional downloadable area maps/backgrounds in higher resolution be something you'd consider?

Many of the maps in PoE look a bit poor because of their row resolution when I play the game, so optional post-release downloads for those with disk to spare and high-resolution monitors would be very nice.

+1 billion

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Are we going to get a green fireball that does corrode damage?

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

so, what does it sound like when doves cry?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

My question is, does Obsidian give to charity? What charitable organizations do they support? I hope it's not too off-topic of a question!

Great Questions CrusherEAGLE,

We actually support the Extra Life charity, which helps support the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals! Which we do during our late night streams here at Obsidian and raise money for. 

You can find out more information here:

Extra Life

Obsidian Twitch Channel

How to Donate

• Like 5

1. = I am also wanting to know if you will have a walk toggle this time as well (and No, I don't mean stealth creeping or "Slow Mode"). To me this is an important part of a RPG, and strongly affects my feeling of immersion in a game.

2. = What items (if Any) can carry over from the first game. And will you at minimum allow us to keep a favorite pet.

3. = Specifically for Cyphers (I am using Torment: ToN as an example) Will we have an ability similar to "Read surface thoughts". Since I tried torment it has seemed unusual that Cyphers don't have more non combat uses/option's, like reading surface thoughts and/or determining some of a persons opinion. 

• Like 1

Holy guacamole that is a ton of questions! Great job guys! We have a lot of questions coming in from twitter as well, so I can't promise that all of these will be answered. 

You may drop my question about the green fireball: It was mostly tongue-in-cheek ;)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

Holy guacamole that is a ton of questions! Great job guys! We have a lot of questions coming in from twitter as well, so I can't promise that all of these will be answered. 

You may drop my question about the green fireball: It was mostly tongue-in-cheek ;)

don't drop our dove question, 'cause while it is likewise tongue-in-cheek, we figure it is more likely to get an answer than our other queries, with the possible exception o' the one 'bout cassowary ranger companions.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ehy Aarik, it would be nice if you will chooose some graphic\engine related question since Adam will be there.

That, and keep any lore-related questions for a Carrie Patel Twitch Q&A (because you're totally gonna do one, right?)

@Aarik D

Although PoE got high praises from the press and after great patches, eventually, from fans as well, The backer numbers look significantly lower than the first campaign.

Do you think crowdfunding losing its hype or fans expected more new features from a new game? Or why do you think that is?

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Might as well give it a shot

1. Does Accuracy still target every defense?
  2. I liked the absence of mandatory "epic" battles in the main quest of PoE, apart from the final boss, and how the Watcher's importance wasn't due to to their combat prowess. Without spoiling too much, can we expect Deadfire to follow this model?
  3. Again, without spoiling too much, can you say if Deadfire will have more varied ways to resolve main quests, and if so, will the characters recognise how the Watcher may prefer to solve problems, whether through combat, diplomacy, stealth, etc.?

They did answer a few questions from this thread; I think all Twitter questions and only a few from Twitch near the end.

Edited by AndreaColombo

Really? I read through the questions here again and I don't recognize any of them being answered on the stream. One/two similar questions came from Twitter.

Answering questions from Twitch towards the end of the stream is very chaotic. Once they start doing that the chat gets flooded with stupid nonsense which obscures the good questions. And the 120 sec delay doesn't help much because there are too many people chatting. Maybe I will post questions on Twitter next time - but I don't like Twitter very much. I would be very thankful if resonable questions from this forum would be answered, too.

At least we got an answer on the bashing stuff.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods