• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Go, go , go, do it all the noob way.

LISTEN to Boeroer and do not waste time to make your own builds. :) He helped me with a lot of stuff, the noob way is great.

"Waste time?" Making your own builds is half the fun of the game!

Have to agree here

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Yep. That they are adding MCing is making me salivate. Near limitless builds = awesomeness! They better not narrow the gameplay to require certain build types to be effective. I don't think they will.... just saying..... but if they do may the gods help them ward from the wrath of the gamers!

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

No idea. Maybe monk/druid or wizard/barb or so. Paladin/ranger or paladin/monk or even monk/ranger could be cool as well. I need to know all subclasses first. Chanter/Corpse Eater also sounds nice. I guess I will try a lot of different stuff before really doing my first playthrough.

Or Evoker/ranger? Hmmm... ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Go, go , go, do it all the noob way.

LISTEN to Boeroer and do not waste time to make your own builds. :) He helped me with a lot of stuff, the noob way is great.

"Waste time?" Making your own builds is half the fun of the game!

Have to agree here

I like making own builds, too but nothing is more entertaining than reading Boroers char stories. :p

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So finally my new computer from Tuxedo arrived yesterday with a dual boot (Ubuntu/Win10 just for the beta which only runs on windows - shame on you OBS ;)).

It has 64GB of RAM, an i7-7700K and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - so it might handle Deadfire well enough. ;)

Since this machine seems to have a bit more capacity than my "old" laptop with a Nvidia 550M I'm planning to do some videos of my builds "in action". Hope it works out... never ever did I capture gaming vids before...   

• Like 5

At the moment I'm quite pissed with the beta and the direction PoE2 is going and have low motivation to put efford into builds. If the game stays like this I may not even play it... 

Care to elaborate?…

I am genuinely curious, not a sardonic comment at all.

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

I don't like several of the new design decisions. Biggest problems for me are the removal of the universal talents which makes leveling up/building up single class chars pretty railroady and boring - and the new penetration system which forces you to concentrate on penetration and nothing else. You can hit like a flying truck on steroids, but if you have 7 penetration and your opponent has 8 armor your truck turns into a very soft and wet noodle made out of 1-layered, recycled toilet paper.

• Like 7

To early to throw in the towel, though. That's exactly why there is a Beta: Test things and adjust if stuff didn't turn out to be as wanted. Josh / the devs explicitly said they wanted feedback regarding the new penetration system, so there should be still time to make some considerable changes. I didn't participate in the Beta for PoE 1, but from looking at early videos and version 3.xx of the game we got some major changes along the way. And I personally didn't expect the Beta would represent the final product in all but minor bugs.

Edited by Cerebro83

and the new penetration system which forces you to concentrate on penetration and nothing else. You can hit like a flying truck on steroids, but if you have 7 penetration and your opponent has 8 armor your truck turns into a very soft and wet noodle made out of 1-layered, recycled toilet paper.

"I think you might be overthinking it"

I remember asking a related question during Q&A #4:

Q: What is the reason behind penetration coefficient values of 30, 100 and 130? As players we like to have meaningful choices, but with such big difference, making sure we always have the required penetration is a no-brainer. [...] By the way, are these coefficient values additive or multiplicative?

JS: You don't know going into an encounter, necessarily, what all those penetration...I guess the thing is...I think you might be overthinking it. If you look at it from the perspective of Pillars of Eternity, creatures still had all sorts of different armor ratings on their armor, some of those would be very high, some very low. Some of them they'd be immune. And you had a lot of different options for how you want to deal with that. You can raise your own pen[etration], you can lower their armor, you can switch the weapon that you're using, or you can switch the target that you're attacking. There's a lot of different ways that you can actually address that, and that's going to be true in Pillars 2 as well.

The reason to go with those harsh values is to make it a less murky system, and something that's much more distinctive. Whether it actually winds up being 30, 100 and 130; or 50, 100 150; or 50, 100, 125; I don't know what the actual number at the end is going to be —

BN: It will change.

JS: It will probably change, but the point is that there's a very strong difference between matching pen and being below pen; whereas in Pillars sometimes if you were just above the minimum penetration it was still pretty bad up to a certain point, and then it scaled kind of oddly, and that's what we're trying to avoid. Especially against big attacks, like, "Hey, the dragon breathed on the party and it does a hundred billion points of damage". Well, the way the DR system works, it doesn't handle those large numbers very well. Which is why, for example, when I did my mod for Fallout: New Vegas I added in Damage Reduction as a percentage so it felt more valuable against those big attacks.

So, that's really the reason, to make those distinctions cleaner. But those numbers are probably going to change.

(source)

P.S. And again, can someone answer if ARBypass effect is additive or multiplicative in regard to other damage coefficients?

Edited by MaxQuest