Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

Fenixp

Fenixp

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1590 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Sapkowski's books are above average at best, and highly unoriginal. They're a lot of fun to read, sure, but they're 'just' a mixture of Tolkien fantasy and Celtic/German myths, and he's most certainly not the first one to come up with the concept of dark fantasy (especially as it's firmly rooted in horror fiction that, to my knowledge, mostly comes from US)

Edited by Fenixp, 07 February 2017 - 11:07 AM.

IamNOOB

IamNOOB

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 133 posts

Celtic - not so much, Slavonic - yes, but of course there are common mythological / folklore elements that are similar all over Europe. Sapkowski was original because his character was not superman and had a lot of problems men have or seem to be interested in simple stuff /such as sex/ not saving the world. Geralt is indeed original. And the books were also weird cause tyou surely expect more action /i.e. a witcher swinging swords or casting igni all the time/ but it had much more humour and dialogue than pure action. Plus it had something charming people cannot easily explain !

But topic is about TOP 3 rpgs SO LET us stop arguing about it.

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Gothic 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment.

My  4 - 10 would be:

VtmB, Fallout 2, Kotor II, NWN2, Geneforge Series, Avernum, Arcanum.

Honorary JRPGs:

Super Mario RPG, Chronotrigger, Live-a-Live

SonnySahl

SonnySahl

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Its a tough one tbh.

The only clear one would be the best

1. Planescape: Torment

The 2nd and 3rd pick could be various games, but for pure nostalgis purposes

2. BG2

3. Kotor 2

PoE is actually not far away from these, but still beneat those

jsaving

jsaving

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Weird that people keep mentioning Dragon Age and Skyrim, I thought this thread was about RPGs... :)

I think a lot of people under-rate KotoR2 because of its slipshod ending.  If only they'd scrapped one of the planets in the middle of the game and spent that time giving KotoR2 the ending it deserved, it would probably end up on a lot more top-10 (or top-3) lists.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3124 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Weird that people keep mentioning Dragon Age and Skyrim, I thought this thread was about RPGs... :)

Those are not the only shooters with swords action "RPGs" people listed over here, either!

• jsaving, Blades of Vanatar, peko and 1 other like this

Kaylon

Kaylon

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

I think a lot of people under-rate KotoR2 because of its slipshod ending.  If only they'd scrapped one of the planets in the middle of the game and spent that time giving KotoR2 the ending it deserved, it would probably end up on a lot more top-10 (or top-3) lists.

It's true for Dragon Age 2&3, but the first was a true masterpiece - with solid story and characters, challenging fights and high replay factor.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10070 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

KOTOR2 would never be a Top 3 RPG, because that series had subpar combat. You could mostly leave it on autopilot, and the over the shoulder cam + floating UI + party real time with pause made it so messy that the game had to become piss easy to compensate. It just felt a bit less boring because lightsabers and force choke. If we're talking a game with great writing and bad combat, then PST takes the cake.

DAO was a solid RPG that did everything pretty well - OK writing for most parts, fun combat, pretty good systems, etc. But if we're talking an all-rounder then BG2 is there in Top 3.

(In my utterly insignificant opinion, of course)

Edited by Tigranes, 08 February 2017 - 09:17 PM.

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1153 posts
Combat in Planescape is not great, but I don't feel it is that bad neither. Sure it is rather easy and not the main part of the game, but I remember having some fun with combat.

Fighting the rat entity, streets of carceri curst or the box's fiend were a ton of fun. The magical items were epic (that Dak'kon blade, tatoos...) and the NPC had interesting unique perks (morté 75% physical resist...).

Combat acted a bit as a reward for curiosity. The more you speak, the more xp you, the stronger you get. For me it was a part of the experience of being a mighty immortal.

Not to mention combat music :-

("Ssshhh pathfinding, stay hidden, I won't tell them about you...")

Edited by Elric Galad, 08 February 2017 - 11:27 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5247 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I also liked Dragon Age: Origins a lot. Especially the spell combos were neat. Too bad the skill/talent system was a bit simplistic and lacked a bit of variety. But the whole game was great.

rheingold

rheingold

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Cheating slightly with more than 3 options:

1:Witcher 2 and 3. 2 had a better story mainly due to the open world issues the last one had. Though within those handicaps 3 was superb, easily one of the best games I've played.

2: Neverwinter Nights - mainly from nostalgia - it was one of the first rps that I played. Though it's pretty much unplayable nowadays - as are most of the old ie games.

3:  DA Origins, Pillars, Mask, Warcraft 3 (also from nostalgia, and no I have never played WOW.)

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh, be nice. 

There is a game for every taste and that's good, because I don't want to eat mouse au chocolat (Original Sin, Pillars, Fallout 2) all the time. Sometimes, good old Snickers (Skyrim) is also just fine.

Skyrim is a great game, if you don't play the mainquest. But telling your own story (Voltor the Marauder!!! got rich through killing Bandits!) has it's own charme.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5247 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I liked to play as assassin with illusion, sneaking and backstabs'n stuff in Skyrim.

Totally different gameplay then and very immersive, too.

I once nearly peed myself when I was playing at night... on the PS3 with projector (~4m screen width) in my living room, exploring a dark and gloomy cave... and suddenly a hand was placed onto my shoulder... It was my wife and I nearly knocked her out by accident because I was jumping up like a crazy rabbit who licked a 1000-Volts-wire. Today I would just suffer a heart attack and instantly die I guess.  

Fenixp

Fenixp

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1590 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Today I would just suffer a heart attack and instantly die I guess.

This right here is why I feel I should finish all good horror games while I'm still relatively young, there will be a point in my life when it'll be a form of suicide.

Eh, it'll leave me with plenty of time to try out Pillars of Eternity builds I 'spose.

Edited by Fenixp, 09 February 2017 - 03:32 AM.

• Boeroer likes this

Gorionsson

Gorionsson

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

1. Ultima 7

2. Baldurs Gate 2

3. Baldurs Gate 

4. Dragon Age Origins

5. Planescape Torment

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5247 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

1. Pools of Radiance (C64, pure nostalgia)

2. Pillars of Eternity (I put +3k hours into it - it MUST be good)

3. Eye of the Beholder 1+2 (nostalgia)

3b. Legend of Grimrock (maybe 1k hours? ;))

Honestly I never played Planescape. Don't know why. I played every other RPG that came out after Pools of Radiance I guess. Baldur's Gate I and II and the expansion were great, too, but at that time I didn't have the time do really dive into it like I did with other games. I even played that Ishar stuff, Ultima and also Lands of Lore and so on. Like... nearly everything. But only RPGs. That includes Diablo and Torchlight, too. Actually, I liked Diablo II + expansions a lot and wasted at least one semester at university because of that friggin' game. :) Diablo III was a big disappointment.

There's one exception though (no RPG) and I consider it to be my favorite game of all times until today - and that's Faster than Light (Advanced Edition). But for obvious reasons I can't put that on the list. ;)

• darqleo likes this

Sylvus_Moonbow

Sylvus_Moonbow

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 55 posts

1. Pillars of Eternity.

2. White March Part 1.

3. White March Part 2.

• Elric Galad, Boeroer and Jarcore like this

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1153 posts

1. Pillars of Eternity.
2. White March Part 1.
3. White March Part 2.

Game length apart, I would have said:
1. White March Part 2
2. White March Part 1
3. Pillars of eternity.

WM is overall a bit better, and WM2 has awesome levels.

Abbey of the Fallen moon deserves a medal on its own. Very challenging fight, unique lore, magnificent music and an awesome conclusion with excellent voice for Ondra.

And I like the ambiance and music in Stalwart :-. Especially the song at tavern, for which I just realized it was so closely related to the plot !

Edited by Elric Galad, 09 February 2017 - 09:43 AM.

• Sylvus_Moonbow likes this

Blutwurstritter

Blutwurstritter

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

1. Baldur's Gate 2, it is a classic for a reason.

2. Fallout 1 Great fresh setting and feeling of the game world, i really liked that the world felt as if it didn't revolve around you.   

3. Shadowrun: Dragonfall

I loved all 3 Shadowrun games since they were really focused on story telling and felt like playable cyber punk thrillers. I wish there were more fairly linear  rpgs with a strong focus on a good plot like the late Shadowrun games. I think open world has been overused and has not improved the gameplay in many cases. I often feel like it is only implemented for the sake of it so they can use it in advertisement but I don't care for big game worlds if they are boring. The first two mentions are positive exceptions although not truly open world since every region is a hub with a lot of content.

Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 431 posts

Cheating slightly with more than 3 options:

1:Witcher 2 and 3. 2 had a better story mainly due to the open world issues the last one had. Though within those handicaps 3 was superb, easily one of the best games I've played.
2: Neverwinter Nights - mainly from nostalgia - it was one of the first rps that I played. Though it's pretty much unplayable nowadays - as are most of the old ie games.
3: DA Origins, Pillars, Mask, Warcraft 3 (also from nostalgia, and no I have never played WOW.)

Unplayable? Blasphemy! I just finished an Ultima 1-4 run. Next is the entire Wizardry series, for the upteenth time. There are so many mods for the IE games that I think I will never stop replaying them. Also like to revisit Darksun and the Goldbox games after 4-5 years or so. Can't wait to get my kids playing them! 😊

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users