Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

List of Subclasses as we learn about them.

Subclasses Sub-classes

• Please log in to reply
505 replies to this topic

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2715 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
And that's a problem with fighters. And as Boreoer pointed out Monks and Barbarians. I'd just like options, right now a barbarian archer is not very good in PoE despite being a cool concept I'd be willing to do.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3658 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Frenzy Archer? Probably works in Eternity 1 just fine. But the most cool version (for Barbarian) would be a dual wielding double axe thrower or double javelin thrower IMO. Probably won't happen but would fit the Barbarian best (Thinking of something like Troll Headhunter from WarCraft 3, they even have the Frenzy ability too).

Best I could think of would be a sort of Sensuki gun wielding Barbarian sub-class (He did something like it in BB of Eternity 1, using only guns and switching weapons IIRC). Shooting once, switching, shooting twice, switching, shooting a third time, then reload time, I think. I think that with Frenzy your character would reload faster too, and if you add in high Dexterity and Gear that fastens recovery time you could have a fast gunner. But does the Barbarian fit the concept and the theme of a gunslinging shooter? I dunno.

EDIT: Would you consider The Kid (Cowboy) to be a Barbarian? Maybe? Couldn't one consider the Wild West bandits to be Barbarians in some sense?

Edited by Osvir, 15 July 2017 - 10:55 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6086 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Frenzy doesn't do anything for reloading time. For a barb, the only things speeding up reloading is DEX, the gunner talent and Sure Handed Ila from a fellow chanter.
So the only thing that Frenzy does for a quick switching gun user is to add 4 MIG. Now that's underwhelming. :)

I think if you want to do a ranged barb then guns is the worst decision. With Frenzy, Bloodlust and Blood Thirst you can at least achieve some nice attack speed with a war bow. I tried that and it's still totally meh. ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 15 July 2017 - 11:14 AM.

fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ranged builds in general end up being supbar when compared to meleeing. Rangers and Wizards can get away with it, because they have powerful class-specific abilities/talents which mitigate the DPS disadvantage (and half the Ranger's damage is melee anyway due to the pet), and I suppose casters don't care much about auto-attacks either way, but everyone else is better off in the thick of it. The only reason Fighters et al. would use ranged options is a) for opening strikes or b) for hitting enemies in the back.

Though I don't think that's a problem with class versatility so much as an inevitable result of gameplay balancing. Melee builds have to be superior to compensate for the fact that you're directly exposing yourself to enemy attacks. Almost all of the Fighter's abilities work with firearms or bows as well, but she'll never be as good with them as with a Greatsword, and that's honestly a good thing. 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6086 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
That's not universally true.

You completely ignore that a melee combatant has to run to his target (or the target to him) and thus looses a lot of potential DPS compared to a ranged combatant who can just switch targets in range without any time loss.

This is more obvious when playing on PotD where you have more enemies and the fights last longer.

That's one reason why a monk with The Long Pain is more powerful than a monk with Transcendent Suffering.

It's also the reason why Boots of Speed are a DPS booster if you prefer melee and a defensive tool for ranged characters.

And by the way all active offensive abilities of the fighter only work in melee except Clear Out and Into the Fray. The latter makes no sense for a ranged fighter, as do all the abilities around engagement (Defender, Overbearing Guard) and defense. You simply don't need them as a ranged fighter but you have to take some because there's no alternative. The nicest active tools of a fighter (Knockdown, Sundering Blow, Charge) can't be used with ranged weapons which leads to a very boring build which only has some passive damage bonuses and is more sturdy than it needs to be.

Edited by Boeroer, 16 July 2017 - 01:30 AM.

• Wormerine likes this

MortyTheGobbo

MortyTheGobbo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

I'm not sure if adding ranged options to fighters, barbarians and monks would be advisable. All three of them have themes and mechanics geared towards close combat. I like variety, and I like how much of it there is in Pillars. And Deadfire continues to bring more. But sometimes you just need to know when to fold it. I could see monks, since they've already got an ability for that. But those other two... not so much.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Subclasses, Sub-classes

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users