Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

List of Subclasses as we learn about them.

Subclasses Sub-classes

• Please log in to reply
608 replies to this topic

Doppelschwert

Doppelschwert

Sword Enthusiast of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I am glad that priests and paladins don't get much of additional stuff with subclasses. Always felt unfair that they can get several variations while other characters had to suffer from much less choice.

You should also note that the nalpacza monks only get improved usage out of drugs, and that their drawback is increased wounding threshold while under the effect of drugs (EDIT), slowing down their accumulation of ressources.

Edited by Doppelschwert, 05 February 2017 - 04:11 PM.

• Ganrich likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7636 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sounds like a pretty lame subclass so far. But it all depends on the drugs you can find I suppose. ;)

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2289 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It certainly doesn't appeal to me very much, as I so rarely use consumables, but I have no doubt that someone will find some way to horrible abuse its special ability.

• Boeroer, Lamppost in Winter and MaxQuest like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7636 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I know a guy who will try. ;)

• Blades of Vanatar and Dr <3 like this

Lamppost in Winter

Lamppost in Winter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They made a point of mentioning the Ghost Heart pet is a spirit, not a beast, and therefore vulnerable to Abjuration, but not Charm Beast. I can't recall any time a druid or paladin cast those spells in PoE, but I hope that means that they may do it more often in this game to try and mitigate the advantage from our summons/pets.

Failedlegend

Failedlegend

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Failed Legend

Druid
1) (No name) A Druid focused more on Spiritshifting.

Hope this means permanent spiritshift is a thing in POE2, preferably with the option for actual equipment (even if there's limitation like no metal armor kinda thing...and something similar to "amulet of mighty fists" so the paw attacks can be enchanted) since it was cool early game but quickly died off as a option. 

@Faerunner: If it helps there's an updated mod for POE1 that allows permanent spiritshifting, you can even see my Bear/Nature party (Tree Chanter, Bear Druid, 4x Ranger w/ Bear) in ones of the pics http://www.nexusmods...nity/mods/138/? (not my mod, just a submitted pic)

Edited by Failedlegend, 06 February 2017 - 07:25 AM.

Nixl

Nixl

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I am trying to remember the source, but I could have sworn I read the Priest class kits were the god choices (Priest of Eothas, Priest of Magran, etc).

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2289 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hope this means permanent spiritshift is a thing in POE2, preferably with the option for actual equipment (even if there's limitation like no metal armor kinda thing...and something similar to "amulet of mighty fists" so the paw attacks can be enchanted) since it was cool early game but quickly died off as a option. 

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I would absolutely love a Druid subclass that turns spiritshift into a modal ability (rather than a limited duration one) but disabled (or at least limited) spellcasting whilst spiritshifted. I don't actually think allowing gear is necessary, since spiritshift Druids are already very good without it (highest single target damage in PoE), but I wouldn't mind a few items which are specifically designed to carry on providing buffs once spiritshifted (the Wildstrike Belt already does, how about some necklaces or rings as well).

Also, depending on how it works, a spiritshift focused Druid multiclassed with a Monk might be amazing if the Monk's unarmed bonus gets applied to the spiritshifted form's natural weapons.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2289 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I am trying to remember the source, but I could have sworn I read the Priest class kits were the god choices (Priest of Eothas, Priest of Magran, etc).

I believe I read this too, as well as Paladin subclasses being the Order choice. If this is the case I hope we'll see them get a little more than they currently get and perhaps also see a few more Gods/Orders added in.

SaruNi

SaruNi

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The drug monk and the Black Jacket are focused around a game mechanic that many people don't use or under-utilize. Making the mechanic more powerful but limiting it to a subclass probably makes it easier to balance and might encourage people to use the mechanic more generally once they get in the habit.

Also, the focus on a class of items lets a few changes to their usefulness nudge us towards a huge amount of variety. The need for more, and specific, types of external items and micromanagement then becomes part of the subclass's drawback relative to the base class.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7636 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes - I can imagine that it can result in fun to be motivated to use things like drugs. Or to be motivated to wear and enchant different kinds of weapons so that you will always have the optimal damage type.

When I once did that rogue build which was mainly focused on scroll use it forced me to use scrolls way more than I was used to - and it was fun. Another nice side effect was that my inventory wasn't so cluttered with scrolls. ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 06 February 2017 - 10:16 AM.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2289 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If the only benefit the drug monk gets from drugs is a greater consumable duration, then I don't see it incentivising consumable use that much since, you know, you can just take more when the first lot wears off. If the buffs from consumables were increased that would be a different matter, and perhaps that'll be a choice further into the subclass, but duration alone doesn't seem worth the trade off.

Doppelschwert

Doppelschwert

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The actual quote from fig is the following:

The Nalpazca gain greater benefits from using drugs, but their Wound threshold is increased while under the influence.

If that means duration or effect I can't say.

I can say, however, that I'm very dissappointed in this subclass. I'll never play a character that does drugs from a roleplaying point of view, and since I want to play more diverse monks, this is a definite loss of options for me. I don't mind controversial themes on companions, but having specializations with controversial themes is a really limiting option.

The other subclasses so far also represent popular fantasy archetypes, which is not exactly the case for potheads. And on a mechanical level, its also boring - following joshs description, if you never use drugs in the first place, nothing changes to playing that character, whereas every other subclass implies a necessary change of gameplay.

The lore of monks has been changed massively from the DnD version, so I'd much prefer a subclass that lets me get back closer to the original martial artist.

1) Just turning the fist bonus into something for weapons would grant an easy DnD2 Kensai.

2) A subclass that increases deflection when no armor is equipped and lets you get wounds by evasion rather than being hit would be mechanically cool.

3) There are also a dozen of interesting archetypes for monks in pathfinder alone (Zen Archer, Sensei, Four Winds and Ki Mystic alone come to mind)

I don't mind drugs being in the game, and I wouldn't mind having some kind of optional talent that makes their use more efficient. But why do we need to waste one of the few available subclass slots for something which is (imho) not really a popular archetype, with powers that won't necessarily change the way you play, and is tied to a controversial theme?

Edited by Doppelschwert, 06 February 2017 - 11:50 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7636 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Because it was featured in WM with Zahuas background and it is part of the PoE lore now I assume. First I thought about it like you. But now I changed my mind and find it interesting.

I would also like to see other possible subclasses which were mentioned in PoE lore like the Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr order and stuff like that.
  • illathid and Sonntam like this

SaruNi

SaruNi

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Nalpazca gain greater benefits from using drugs, but their Wound threshold is increased while under the influence.

I can say, however, that I'm very dissappointed in this subclass. I'll never play a character that does drugs from a roleplaying point of view, and since I want to play more diverse monks, this is a definite loss of options for me. I don't mind controversial themes on companions, but having specializations with controversial themes is a really limiting option.

The other subclasses so far also represent popular fantasy archetypes, which is not exactly the case for potheads. And on a mechanical level, its also boring - following joshs description, if you never use drugs in the first place, nothing changes to playing that character, whereas every other subclass implies a necessary change of gameplay.

The lore of monks has been changed massively from the DnD version, so I'd much prefer a subclass that lets me get back closer to the original martial artist.

1) Just turning the fist bonus into something for weapons would grant an easy DnD2 Kensai.

2) A subclass that increases deflection when no armor is equipped and lets you get wounds by evasion rather than being hit would be mechanically cool.

3) There are also a dozen of interesting archetypes for monks in pathfinder alone (Zen Archer, Sensei, Four Winds and Ki Mystic alone come to mind)

I don't mind drugs being in the game, and I wouldn't mind having some kind of optional talent that makes their use more efficient. But why do we need to waste one of the few available subclass slots for something which is (imho) not really a popular archetype, with powers that won't necessarily change the way you play, and is tied to a controversial theme?

1. Coffee is a drug. Alcohol is a drug. Drugs aren't just pot and heroin. The vast majority of people use drugs of one type or another.

2. One of PoE's strengths is its unique lore. They're not just the stereotypical D&D rip-offs. Monk is a relatively non "popular" and non "archetypal" character in this genre to begin with. 

3. Wounding oneself---self-harm---is also a very controversial theme. 

4. Monks still have plenty of customization options. 

• Sonntam and Regggler like this

Bill Gates' Son

Bill Gates' Son

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 281 posts

As someone who was annoyed that I had to take drugs to do Zahua's quest in WM2, I'm ok with this subclass existing since I'm not force to take it.  Although I do hope some classes get more than 2 subclasses besides Priests and Paladins.

• Doppelschwert likes this

Doppelschwert

Doppelschwert

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

1. Coffee is a drug. Alcohol is a drug. Drugs aren't just pot and heroin. The vast majority of people use drugs of one type or another.
2. One of PoE's strengths is its unique lore. They're not just the stereotypical D&D rip-offs. Monk is a relatively non "popular" and non "archetypal" character in this genre to begin with. 

1. These are the drugs in PoE. Do you see Coffee, Alcohol or anything else which is legal in the western world?
2. I can't reply to this since spoilers are not allowed, but this subclass is very incosistent with regards to the lore.

Apart from that, almost no class is changed from DnD:

Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Barbarian and Druid are almost the same in terms of mechanics and flavor.

Ciphers seem to be close to psionic classes, but I don't know much about those.

Monks, Paladins and chanters are the major changes to the original classes, where after much complaining, paladins got a lot of their original signatures patched. I'm not against having new interesting lore and options, but if someone wanted to play a traditional martial artist or a bard, they should be able to, and it's justified if they are upset because they can't.

Also, playing a martial artist may not be super popular, but its still more popular than being the stoner guy. I know a few people that like to play monks in RPGs. I don't know anyone who always wanted to play some wasted guy being high.

3. That's true, and I can't say I prefer it to the DnD version. However, this is easier to ignore, since I can just pretend my character gets enraged when being hit, fueling his battle prowess this way.

4. One of the main draws for me of playing a monk is evading hits instead of taking them. I could play a kensai or a martial artist this way. This is not available as customization for a monk, and this is dissapointing - in fact, the wound system makes very compelling arguments to wear armor later in the game, the polar opposite.

Everyone else gets to have their nostalgia, so I don't see why I shouldn't have my cake and eat it too. In particular if its in favor of being better at doing drugs, which would be probably better if it was available to everyone. If you wanted to play a barbarian that gets his rages through taking drugs, you'd also benefit from a talent that let you specialize in doing them.

Edited by Doppelschwert, 06 February 2017 - 01:14 PM.

draego

draego

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well something to keep in mind with some of these post is that the base class will be just as good as the sub classes. So for each class (except priest and paladins) there will be three classes to choose from. So for example i dont like the new ranger subclass ghost knight but who cares i can role a regular ranger (pending the other unmentioned sub class) and it should be just as powerful. At least that is the goal. It is hard to look past the new shinny objects sometimes but the old standbys are supposed to be just as good.

SaruNi

SaruNi

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

1. These are the drugs in PoE. Do you see Coffee, Alcohol or anything else which is legal in the western world?

Look at the drugs' effects---they're all either stimulants or aids to clear-headedness (resistance to fear, confusion). Pretty much the opposite of the stereotypical negative effects of getting "stoned" on pot. (There is one which aids perceptiveness which you could argue is slightly like pot, I'd suppose.) Blacsonn looks similar to alcohol. Coffee, tea, tobacco all come from plants, and yes, other plants with similar properties are legal in "the western world".

I don't use "pot" myself (it gives me anxiety and makes me very drowsy), but most of the neuroscientists and biochemists I knew from the Ivy League universities I went to for undergrad and graduate school actually did use illegal drugs, including pot. And pot has become either legal or decriminalized in many places in the Western world, as it rationally should be. 

Edited by SaruNi, 06 February 2017 - 01:32 PM.

Leeuwenhart

Leeuwenhart

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You mean controversial as in stealing bribing lying threathen assaulting breaking and entering and last but not least... murdering?

The game is full of "controversy" ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Subclasses, Sub-classes

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users