Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Known Information

pillars 2 deadfire mechanics sequel sawyer companions

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah that was a problem in Pillars and was super stupid.

Whilst I definitely agree that it's stupid, it has been a problem in a surprising number of games for a surprisingly long time.

• Boeroer likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5197 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Has there been any mention on "healing" or lack thereof? Iirc, there was Health and Stamina, Health could be replenished but Stamina could not without resting. Now Stamina is going away so is Health "healable"?

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Has there been any mention on "healing" or lack thereof? Iirc, there was Health and Stamina, Health could be replenished but Stamina could not without resting. Now Stamina is going away so is Health "healable"?

It's Health that is going away, replaced by injuries (if they go with their current plans). Stamina is staying.
  • Gfted1 likes this

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1698 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

heh, 'Deceptive' reputation officially renamed to 'Shady'

Edited by ManifestedISO, 08 February 2017 - 05:08 PM.

limaxophobiacq

limaxophobiacq

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I approve. My imported priest of Wael is going to be one shady individual.

Ganrich

Ganrich

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1103 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'm excited that spell casting times will be increased for certain spells, and that interrupt both cancels the cast and consumes the spell. Interrupts will probably be pretty good in this game. Also, this will give Resolve much more weight when building a caster if AI decides to peck at them with interrupt abilities.
  • Tigranes, rjshae and Lamppost in Winter like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2305 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

heh, 'Deceptive' reputation officially renamed to 'Shady'

:shifty:
  • Doppelschwert likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm excited that spell casting times will be increased for certain spells, and that interrupt both cancels the cast and consumes the spell. Interrupts will probably be pretty good in this game. Also, this will give Resolve much more weight when building a caster if AI decides to peck at them with interrupt abilities.

It's an interesting change, though it'll need to balanced carefully to make it effective but also avoid it being hugely frustrating. If executed well though, this could add quite a bit of tactical thinking to when to cast spells. It might no longer be the case that you want to immediately cast your best spells at the start of combat, nor cast a new spell immediately after finishing the previous one. This will also make fast cast spells like Wizards Double more appealing as they should be harder to interrupt and should hopefully provide some protection against interruption for the next cast.

It fits well with Obsidian's desire to make AI scale to difficulty too, in that at higher levels the AI could actively make enemy archers switch to target spell casters who are casting spells whilst on lower levels they may not.

• rjshae and Ganrich like this

Archaven

Archaven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Now i'm imagining.. Engwithan saint cast Timestop... then summons.. then party debuffs.. then big AOE. gg :D

• Ganrich likes this

Ganrich

Ganrich

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1103 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's an interesting change, though it'll need to balanced carefully to make it effective but also avoid it being hugely frustrating. If executed well though, this could add quite a bit of tactical thinking to when to cast spells. It might no longer be the case that you want to immediately cast your best spells at the start of combat, nor cast a new spell immediately after finishing the previous one. This will also make fast cast spells like Wizards Double more appealing as they should be harder to interrupt and should hopefully provide some protection against interruption for the next cast.

It fits well with Obsidian's desire to make AI scale to difficulty too, in that at higher levels the AI could actively make enemy archers switch to target spell casters who are casting spells whilst on lower levels they may not.

Ironically, it could make something like Wizards Double more desirable on non-Gish builds to lower the chance of being hit with an interrupt. It wouldn't be a bad opener for a wizard if they are going to be targeted by the AI, and then they can rain down death and destruction for a bit in relative safety. Those defensive self buffs might end up pretty important to the more conventional wizard.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ironically, it could make something like Wizards Double more desirable on non-Gish builds to lower the chance of being hit with an interrupt. It wouldn't be a bad opener for a wizard if they are going to be targeted by the AI, and then they can rain down death and destruction for a bit in relative safety. Those defensive self buffs might end up pretty important to the more conventional wizard.

Which, to my mind, is an improvement over the current state of affairs. If the idea of adding more reactivity to spell casting works (the enemy casts a certain spell and you need to cast a counter to it) this will bring spell casting closer to the sort of "wizards duel" idea that a lot of people like, and go a long way towards overcoming the fear that pure per encounter spells will result in a fixed casting order for every fight.

• Ganrich likes this

Archaven

Archaven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

With this focus/concentration mechanics with longer casting time.. i'm visualizing that this time around.. we probably have to use other party characters to "block" or "hinder" the mage from getting interrupted.. I'm also visualizing that with some party encounters where there's alot of "mobs" around.. and with 2 enemy spellcasters behind the ranks, i'd be start pissing. Combat will be hard.

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Some new features confirmed:

- Alchemy Skill

- Poison Crafting (with a number of poisons craftable from various animal parts and plants)

- Character Creation with wider color palette

• rjshae, AndreaColombo, Sedrefilos and 4 others like this

blotter

blotter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Some new features confirmed:

- Alchemy Skill

- Poison Crafting (with a number of poisons craftable from various animal parts and plants)

- Character Creation with wider color palette

Sounds good. With poison in the game, maybe the Nalpazca can experiment with mithridatism until they ooze poison from their wounds. Probably not, but I might actually get interested in them if they could.

Lamppost in Winter

Lamppost in Winter

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

From the same video: companion subclasses for their base classes are probably going to be fixed, but a class they multiclass into will have free subclass selection.

• illathid, injurai, kanisatha and 1 other like this

Leeuwenhart

Leeuwenhart

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It looks like they want to release around march 2018

Well, that sucks. The world'll be destroyed by then.

Thanks ~Obama~ Trump

Edited by Leeuwenhart, 16 February 2017 - 06:09 AM.

smjjames

smjjames

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 475 posts

This probably needs to be updated, been a few months.

The real reason I came to this thread though, is to ask about new races. I've seen in a few places about new races in PoE2:DF, but I haven't seen any actual info on that. Other than a few threads about new godlike subraces, but that's it.

injurai

injurai

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 768 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Earth goes around the Sun.

• Baltic likes this

smjjames

smjjames

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 475 posts

Quit the sarcasm :p , I'm just trying to ask for information.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2305 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
No new playable races or godlikes
  • smjjames likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pillars 2, deadfire, mechanics, sequel, sawyer, companions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users