This sounds really promising. I like approval systems, but they can feel limited in reactivity. Something with more axes and based around the existing reputation system might work well.

Agreed! One of the disappointing things about companions in PoE was that (apart from Durance and GM) as soon as you met them you could burn through all their character dialogue. I think it would be very cool if the amount that each companion was willing to reveal about themselves grew as they travelled with the Watcher and gained his/her trust.

​Like Kotor. People can say what they want. But I really enjoyed how those companionships unfolded over the course of the game.

Mirroring weapons across weapon sets is a thing! W00t!

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/829049578133483521

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Let's say you have Steadfast (one handed sword) as main weapon. Then you find Little Saviour (small shield) and want to use it as your main shield with Steadfast. All good.

Now you also find Aila Braccia (small shield) which is extremely good when you meet foes who shoot directly at you with missiles and spells - way better than Little Savior, but worse in melee. Now you want to switch between set 1: Steadfast + Little Savior (melee cmbat) and set 2: Steadfast + Aila Braccia (if you meet things like Lagufaeth with blowguns and stuff).

But you can't in PoE! You would have to choose a different main weapon. Or you would have to clone Steadfast - which isn't possible without the console and cheating (=deactivating achievements).

People wanted to define different weapon sets where you "mirror" the weapons or the shields. You will not have them twice, you just "virtually" place them into different weapon sets so when you switch sets one of them stays and only the other shield/weapon gets switched. Hope that makes sense for you... :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Has there been any mention on "healing" or lack thereof? Iirc, there was Health and Stamina, Health could be replenished but Stamina could not without resting. Now Stamina is going away so is Health "healable"?

It's Health that is going away, replaced by injuries (if they go with their current plans). Stamina is staying.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I'm excited that spell casting times will be increased for certain spells, and that interrupt both cancels the cast and consumes the spell. Interrupts will probably be pretty good in this game. Also, this will give Resolve much more weight when building a caster if AI decides to peck at them with interrupt abilities.

• Like 3

I'm excited that spell casting times will be increased for certain spells, and that interrupt both cancels the cast and consumes the spell. Interrupts will probably be pretty good in this game. Also, this will give Resolve much more weight when building a caster if AI decides to peck at them with interrupt abilities.

It's an interesting change, though it'll need to balanced carefully to make it effective but also avoid it being hugely frustrating. If executed well though, this could add quite a bit of tactical thinking to when to cast spells. It might no longer be the case that you want to immediately cast your best spells at the start of combat, nor cast a new spell immediately after finishing the previous one. This will also make fast cast spells like Wizards Double more appealing as they should be harder to interrupt and should hopefully provide some protection against interruption for the next cast.

It fits well with Obsidian's desire to make AI scale to difficulty too, in that at higher levels the AI could actively make enemy archers switch to target spell casters who are casting spells whilst on lower levels they may not.

• Like 2

Now i'm imagining.. Engwithan saint cast Timestop... then summons.. then party debuffs.. then big AOE. gg :D

• Like 1

It's an interesting change, though it'll need to balanced carefully to make it effective but also avoid it being hugely frustrating. If executed well though, this could add quite a bit of tactical thinking to when to cast spells. It might no longer be the case that you want to immediately cast your best spells at the start of combat, nor cast a new spell immediately after finishing the previous one. This will also make fast cast spells like Wizards Double more appealing as they should be harder to interrupt and should hopefully provide some protection against interruption for the next cast.

It fits well with Obsidian's desire to make AI scale to difficulty too, in that at higher levels the AI could actively make enemy archers switch to target spell casters who are casting spells whilst on lower levels they may not.

Ironically, it could make something like Wizards Double more desirable on non-Gish builds to lower the chance of being hit with an interrupt. It wouldn't be a bad opener for a wizard if they are going to be targeted by the AI, and then they can rain down death and destruction for a bit in relative safety. Those defensive self buffs might end up pretty important to the more conventional wizard.

Ironically, it could make something like Wizards Double more desirable on non-Gish builds to lower the chance of being hit with an interrupt. It wouldn't be a bad opener for a wizard if they are going to be targeted by the AI, and then they can rain down death and destruction for a bit in relative safety. Those defensive self buffs might end up pretty important to the more conventional wizard.

Which, to my mind, is an improvement over the current state of affairs. If the idea of adding more reactivity to spell casting works (the enemy casts a certain spell and you need to cast a counter to it) this will bring spell casting closer to the sort of "wizards duel" idea that a lot of people like, and go a long way towards overcoming the fear that pure per encounter spells will result in a fixed casting order for every fight.

• Like 1

With this focus/concentration mechanics with longer casting time.. i'm visualizing that this time around.. we probably have to use other party characters to "block" or "hinder" the mage from getting interrupted.. I'm also visualizing that with some party encounters where there's alot of "mobs" around.. and with 2 enemy spellcasters behind the ranks, i'd be start pissing. Combat will be hard.

Some new features confirmed:

- Alchemy Skill

- Poison Crafting (with a number of poisons craftable from various animal parts and plants)

- Character Creation with wider color palette

Sounds good. With poison in the game, maybe the Nalpazca can experiment with mithridatism until they ooze poison from their wounds. Probably not, but I might actually get interested in them if they could.