Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Josh Sawyer Something Awful PoE2 Posts

• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

Madscientist

Madscientist

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

So the modal of the pistol is to use it as melee weapon?

I think over 90% of players will shoot both pistols and then switch to a melee weapon.

The only other thing I could think of is somebody who has 4 weapon slots, fast switching and hoping all hard enemies are dead after 8 shots.

Pistols as melee weapon will surely be weaker than other melee weapons, otherwise it makes not much sense to use normal melee weapons.

Well, after some reading I wound this: https://en.wikipedia...ki/Pistol_sword

You could have some special weapons that are not the best pistol and not the best sword, but useful for both things.

I like the polish axe pistol at the bottom of the page most.

blotter

blotter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Pistols as melee weapon will surely be weaker than other melee weapons, otherwise it makes not much sense to use normal melee weapons.

Sawyer specifically says they'll be useable as clubs, which suggests that they'll have the same stats as clubs while the modal is activated. You might still be right if the enchantments on pistols are inapplicable at melee range, which could be the case for stuff like increased reload speed. That being said, the enchantment features for pistols from Pillars 1 are easily applicable to melee weapons as well and I wouldn't expect that to change in Pillars 2 overall.

I'm all for pistol whipping myself and think the option's missing from entirely too many games, but if each weapon gets only one modal, then this seems a bit overly niche compared to stuff like the Savage Blows modal for great swords and Vulnerable Strikes modal for estocs, both of which make you better at using those weapons in ways you probably intended to use them in the first place. If any firearm got a modal based around quicker reloads I'd expect it to be the pistol, but alas...

Well, after some reading I wound this: https://en.wikipedia...ki/Pistol_sword

Nice catch, but they might fall a bit outside of the intended technological period, since a lot of those are 17th or 18th century and the ones that aren't look like they'd be unique daggers or swords rather than pistols. What's more problematic from a design perspective, I suspect, is that a lot of those look like they'd require unique handling and/or attack animations whatever weapon type they're associated with.

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Pistol whipping might be useful on a pistol toting ranger. So they'd be a character who ideally wants to stay shooting all the time, but if someone gets up in their grill they can get slapping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users