Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Josh Sawyer Something Awful PoE2 Posts

• Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1617 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The back-and-forth about that subject is what I was talking about, actually.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6826 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

josh don't need Gromnir to defend him, and it is always weird when we do so as we has been so critical o' him at times.

*shrug*

a willingness to point out shortcomings in game systems is perceived as josh elitism.  similarly, a kinda cold-blooded approach to exposing bad arguments o' those advocating alternative game systems has resulted in the perception o' josh brashness or rudeness.  we has seen josh say plenty positive 'bout d&d, though only 3.0 and later editions.  in fact, is more than a few folks who complained during poe development 'bout s'posed attempts by josh to turn poe, a s'posed homage to infinity engine games, into d&d 4.0.  but for those advocating per kill xp, josh weren't gonna pretend as if people were making wonderful defenses o' a d&d/ie staple when they were not.  'course if it makes you feel better, past josh were far less diplomatic than he is today.  

obvious initial hurdle:  d&d is a class system.  many folks do not like class-based systems. josh is not a fan of class-based rpgs.

level caps?

okie dokie.

HA! Good Fun!

• Greensleeve and gogocactus like this

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 1617 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

"a willingness to point out shortcomings in game systems is perceived as josh elitism."

Oh, no. I'll point out the flaws of D&D and other class-based systems all day long. It's a desire to minimize the influences of pretty much every well-known mainstream game and system combined with a general tendency to dismiss the concepts, ideas, and tropes of those systems.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6826 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

"a willingness to point out shortcomings in game systems is perceived as josh elitism."

Oh, no. I'll point out the flaws of D&D and other class-based systems all day long. It's a desire to minimize the influences of pretty much every well-known mainstream game and system combined with a general tendency to dismiss the concepts, ideas, and tropes of those systems.

as already stated, josh has frequent advocated aspects of d&d editions post 2.0.  and again, there were common (unfair) criticisms o' josh attempting to turn poe into d&d 4.0.  as such, your perceived marginalization by josh does not align with our observations or the consensus feedback o' much o' the poe beta folks.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir, 23 February 2017 - 08:52 PM.

• illathid likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16924 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

"And I'd honestly say the same about Pillars of Eternity. The games amazing as hell. There's a reason I've clocked over 500 hours."

FO:NV is 100x better than PE. It's not even close. And, that says a lot considering PE has the advantage of DWARVES.

stiven

stiven

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 51 posts

I literally can't understand your problem with level cap in NWN2. I've played it and MotB 10-15 times each and the level cap was never a problem. You didn't like the level cap, some other people didn't as well, but without hard statistics that's all that can really be said about it. It might be a minority, it might be a majority, but I have no respect for those that try to presume wide acceptance of their own beliefs without the ability to prove it.

Well you has no problem with lvl cap, good for you. Why you mention this? Who knows -  im speaking about facts of nwn2 history, you speaking about your personal felling. Try to make a sense out this. ;/ Buy ok, fine, lets prove the shape of Earth, it complete irrelevant to the point i had made, but i will indulge your sensation for white knighting, this one time

-- 1 sec in goggle - "nwn2 level cap" google robo-brains instantly autocomplete it into "neverwinter nights 2 level cap remover" as most searchable,  About 205,000 results (0.48 seconds) still yet in 2017, which is huge for game from 2006. Yeah so much "minority" that you can even find Josh explanation why lvl cap is so low. Not to mention servers with lvl cap 40 as big "selling point". Yeh dude, congrat with joining internet, you obviously wasn't been around when people has complained all over different forums about it. And you wan't observed fast dying of nwn2, while fans of nwn1 is keeping game alive even now. Granted nwn2 died pretty fast due bad mods support, but low lvl cap has one of little problems that helped the process.

Edited by stiven, 23 February 2017 - 09:41 PM.

Katarack21

Katarack21

• Members
  • 1617 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

as already stated, josh has frequent advocated aspects of d&d editions post 2.0.  and again, there were common (unfair) criticisms o' josh attempting to turn poe into d&d 4.0.  as such, your perceived marginalization by josh does not align with our observations or the consensus feedback o' much o' the poe beta folks.

HA! Good Fun!

I've often seen Josh talk about his time playing D&D and the fun he's had with D&D; rarely if ever have I seen him point out features and aspects of D&D that he likes and wishes to emulate or even keep in a game.

Regardless, this is all way more defensive aspects from a bunch of forum posters over a game developer that none of us know that I ever expected a non-judgemental basic obersvational statement to obtain. Again, I'm not attacking Josh, this was never meant to be an attack on Josh, this was simply an obersavation of my own that is admittedly based on fragmentary information from incomplete sources (re: interviews, etc).

This conversation is over. I have no intention of arguing with any of you about the finer points of Josh Sawyers personality. **** that.

Edited by Katarack21, 23 February 2017 - 09:55 PM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6826 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

well, somebody is channeling their inner jonathan frakes

QE1adSZ.gif

good on you for not keeping it all pent up.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir, 23 February 2017 - 10:07 PM.

• Volourn, ShadySands, ManifestedISO and 1 other like this

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1452 posts

I dunno man, Ars Magica seems plenty mainstream to me.

George_Truman

George_Truman

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
Lol @ getting annoyed at assumptions somebody makes then making assumptions about them.
  • injurai likes this

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
lol this conversation is dumb
  • Katarack21 and injurai like this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 757 posts

lol can you guys just go back to posting Josh's comments from the other forum?

• injurai and Kirk like this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 993 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

lol ...

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

lol ...

hilfazer

hilfazer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 264 posts

lol can you guys just go back to posting Josh's comments from the other forum?

I'd rather have images + text. Search button does not like images too much.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4972 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

I'm very grateful that you guys keep us up to date. Buuut... the images from SA are not readable on my mobile and you can't maginfy the forum posts if you use the mobile version of the forum (I know I'm a spoiled child). I'd have no problem with a simple copy & paste in quote-tags or so. If that doesn't bother you of course. :)

Edited by Boeroer, 24 February 2017 - 08:06 AM.

• FlintlockJazz, illathid, gogocactus and 1 other like this

illathid

illathid

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:illathid
  • Kickstarter Backer

I literally can't understand your problem with level cap in NWN2. I've played it and MotB 10-15 times each and the level cap was never a problem. You didn't like the level cap, some other people didn't as well, but without hard statistics that's all that can really be said about it. It might be a minority, it might be a majority, but I have no respect for those that try to presume wide acceptance of their own beliefs without the ability to prove it.

Well you has no problem with lvl cap, good for you. Why you mention this? Who knows -  im speaking about facts of nwn2 history, you speaking about your personal felling. Try to make a sense out this. ;/ Buy ok, fine, lets prove the shape of Earth, it complete irrelevant to the point i had made, but i will indulge your sensation for white knighting, this one time

-- 1 sec in goggle - "nwn2 level cap" google robo-brains instantly autocomplete it into "neverwinter nights 2 level cap remover" as most searchable,  About 205,000 results (0.48 seconds) still yet in 2017, which is huge for game from 2006. Yeah so much "minority" that you can even find Josh explanation why lvl cap is so low. Not to mention servers with lvl cap 40 as big "selling point". Yeh dude, congrat with joining internet, you obviously wasn't been around when people has complained all over different forums about it. And you wan't observed fast dying of nwn2, while fans of nwn1 is keeping game alive even now. Granted nwn2 died pretty fast due bad mods support, but low lvl cap has one of little problems that helped the process.

Look I'd explain this to you but I have neither the patience or the crayons to do so. Enjoy being blocked.

Infinitron

Infinitron

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1835 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

lzNLupa.png

• anameforobsidian and laikapants like this

Leeuwenhart

Leeuwenhart

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 482 posts
You guys...

He talked about Josh's demeanor. Not about his capabilities.

Ofc he is capable. Thats what brings on the slighty snobby attitude.

The more skilled the more easy it is to develop that.
I even have it bz im good at things.

Its a flaw. A mild flaw.
And one i can relate too so i dont care one bit about it.

But if somebody says A and then all you guys do is build upon B it doesnt argue against point A. At all!

To be frank:

The man is a game designer.
He is good at what he does.
If he has hipster/sobby attitude it figures he wants to stand out/be unique/original/superior. All qualities that push him to make such games.
And now with crowdfunding and internet you get pushed into the masses (which has a LOT of benefits)
But suddenly you get thousands of people to interact with...

How much of genpop is a retard? 10%?

Thats 100s of doofus guys thinking they know better asking stuff thats REALLY REALLY stupid.

Haha.

The man should get a look for being snobby.

The man should get a gold medal for not shooting somebody with a shotgun in the face after that much interaction with some people haha

Ive never seen him snap or insult anybody. Or even be rude.

Yes. He comes over as elitist.
No. Its not the end of the world.

;)
  • gogocactus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users