Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Paypal backing ?

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

obsinaut

obsinaut

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Pretty sure it will be enabled once it's past 100%, like I think it was the case with POE's kickstarter campaign.

Yes im sure it will. But the point is, (just an example) that what if there was a  limited offer/goodie or something like that, then all people without cc arent gonna get it.

Its like people without cc are second class.

And i dont understand how someone makes a campain to fund money, but then offers only cc while its known that in many parts of the world it doesnt work and/or its just not common. Why dont just also offer one of the most popular online payment solutions like paypal.

I mean in EVERY single campain there are people asking about an alternative payment method like paypal, WHY dont you put it there since the beginning. And WHY if you dont offer it, you dont make a proper description about your future plans about it, from the start on. Why do we always have to ask.

Imagine the amount of time it takes to overview and answer all the questions about payment methods, it could be avoided if you just give a proper info about it from the start of the campain.

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1783 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

96% funded and still no paypal option.

I guess you just dont care.

I dont understand it.

Relax. They can even add the paypay funding option after the campaing on Fig has ran it's course.

Seeing how they had one up for Pillars 1, it's more than likely that such option is coming for this campaign as well.

And you do realize they need to sleep as well at some point? :)

Flouride

Flouride

• Members
  • 1783 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Pretty sure it will be enabled once it's past 100%, like I think it was the case with POE's kickstarter campaign.

Yes im sure it will. But the point is, (just an example) that what if there was a  limited offer/goodie or something like that, then all people without cc arent gonna get it.

And i dont understand how someone makes a campain to fund money, but then offers only cc while its known that in many parts of the world it doesnt work and/or its just not common. Why dont just also offer one of the most popular online payment solutions like paypal.

I mean in EVERY single campain there are people asking about an alternative payment method like paypal, WHY dont you put it there since the beginning. And WHY if you dont offer it, you dont make a proper description about your future plans about it, from the start on. Why do we always have to ask.

Imagine the amount of time it takes to overview and answer all the questions about payment methods, it could be avoided if you just give a proper info about it from the start of the campain.

Since Paypal doesn't count on the Fig/KS campaign page, they kinda have to hit their mark before they can enable PayPal as an option. Otherwise there's the chance of them getting paid via Paypal and then needing to return those funds back to the pledgers and that's a big hassle from both accounting and probably from legal point of views.

Yea, it didn't happen on Pillars or on this game, but I can see why they don't enable it immediately.

• illathid and Eurhetemec like this

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2603 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It is because this clause "Your pledge will only be collected if this campaign reaches its goal on Feb 25, 2017 3am", meaning that if they offer alternative methods before they reach their goal they risk not getting funded (in theoretical sense)

desel

desel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 118 posts

All the tiers up to the $500 one are unlimited, so unless you really want to shell out $500 (or more) there's nothing to worry about.

BUT, you're right - it would have been cool to give everyone (including returning PayPal backers from the POE kickstarter) a fair chance right from the start by offering alternatives to pledging through fig.

Maybe next time (POE III crowdfunding).

Hopefully PayPal going live will coincide with the first update.

Edited by desel, 27 January 2017 - 09:21 AM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4540 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

NO SLEEP FOR THE WATCHER :biggrin:

• kirottu, Revan91, Messier-31 and 1 other like this

Flouride

Flouride

• Members
  • 1783 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

NO SLEEP FOR THE WATCHER :biggrin:

You got me there. Well played.

general_azure

general_azure

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I will, by necessity, just sit here on my German bank account until this gets changed. It's a great bank account, fantastic bank account! You will love it!

Suen

Suen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

And please Obsidian, make available at least some of the limited high tiers (signed collector) to the paypal users too.

Varana

Varana

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Welcome to America. ;)

I agree - you would've thought that people would look to include non-CC options from the start after their first large campaign; this comes up every time.

OTOH:
PayPal has some restrictions and additional fees attached to it that make it a lot harder to use it for crowdfunding. If you can read German, here's a blog post from a German crowdfunding site about why they gave up on PayPal:
https://www.startnex...-abschalten-803
(In short:
You have to have a verified PayPal account as a project creator, as well.
The payment is reserved for when the campaign ends but without guarantee that the account still exists, has enough (or any) money in it to actually pay, or anything like that.
There are tight limits on how much you may pledge and how often, how much you may include as a reward, and how many campaigns you may run at the same time.
No crowd investment, like what Fig does.
Also, there's a substantial cut that PayPal takes as a fee.)
That article is from 2014, so maybe some things changed, but it's not that blame lies only with crowdfunding platforms, here. PayPal, for some reason, decided to be somewhat bitchy about the process.

Also, payments via PayPal are consistently a lot less in all games I've seen numbers for. That may well be a chicken-egg issue (not having PayPal as an option leads to fewer people using it), but adding it in my experience doesn't change the outcome substantially, and might very well not be worth the hassle in the first days of setting up the campaign.

Edited by Varana, 28 January 2017 - 05:35 AM.

desel

desel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 118 posts

Doesn't change the fact that pledges made with PayPal were supported back in 2012 during the Project Eternity kickstarter campaign.

So why not do the same but this time right from the start or at least from the moment on the funding goal has been reached?

Wasteland 3's figstarter campaign did it this way using a third party solution called crowdOX that, iirc, even fed its data (pledged amount, backer numbers) back into fig for real-time updates.

Eurhetemec

Eurhetemec

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Doesn't change the fact that pledges made with PayPal were supported back in 2012 during the Project Eternity kickstarter campaign.

So why not do the same but this time right from the start or at least from the moment on the funding goal has been reached?

Wasteland 3's figstarter campaign did it this way using a third party solution called crowdOX that, iirc, even fed its data (pledged amount, backer numbers) back into fig for real-time updates.

They were not supported until very late in the original KS campaign for pretty much the exact same reasons discussed in this thread. This is a problem Paypal are essentially choosing to create, and not something solely on Fig or Obsidian. It's obviously better for pretty much everyone involved for people to not go via Paypal where possible, so I see no problem with them holding adding Paypal back until very late. 

I don't know enough about CrowdOx to comment on it, but it seems to have seen limited use so far, so I suspect it does have its downsides.

• illathid likes this

KarroK

KarroK

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not only aren't there options other than CC, but my (dutch, mastercard certified) credit card gets declined by fig.. While it works just fine for overseas amazon etc. What up with that.

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2603 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not only aren't there options other than CC, but my (dutch, mastercard certified) credit card gets declined by fig.. While it works just fine for overseas amazon etc. What up with that.

They use stripe as their payment processor. When KS moved to use it I had problems to get it accept my visa certified credit card.

Hemmer

Hemmer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts

Come one Obs, hurry up.

I'm itching to throw some coppers your way for one of those sweet Signed CEs.

meisjoe

meisjoe

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm waiting for a PayPal option too.  I don't really want to use Fig.

Godfather101

Godfather101

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah i'm waiting for papyl option too.

Really hope we'll get that quick.

Want to back Deadfire but don't own a credit card.

Hemmer

Hemmer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts

Obsidian's missing out on quite a bit of dosh right now.

Not just from people without the means of backing through fig but from people unwilling to go through fig at all too.

desel

desel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 118 posts

Any news?

ETA maybe?

Or is it still looked into / almost ready to go live?

Edited by desel, 03 February 2017 - 09:52 AM.

Zeuge der Unity

Zeuge der Unity

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Hello,

first of all: i got PoE as a present one or two weeks ago and there are two reasons why i created this account:

1)
I just want to praise the whole Dev Team of PoE.
The Graphics are stunning, the music is magnificent, the gameplay is a bliss, the story is incredibly good and captivating, and the world is created with love and care.
You all, the managers, story writers, designers, musicians, voice actors and programmers (and all the other positions i didn't mention) did an awesome job.
Pillars of Eternity is the first game, that is worth playing it since Freelancer, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.
I am aware that i am not the only one praising it, but i just wanted you to know, that you made me very happy and i enjoy every minute with your game.

2)
​My question regarding the Topic:
Is there any way to fund or pre-sell PoE2 with PayPal? (I really want that Premium Digital Edition!)
Using my credit card makes me feel very uncomfortable, because i don't trust it and i despise paying with it.
Yeah i know, that sounds ridiculous. But it's not common in germany to pay with your credit card,
germans prefer paying in cash and it took me almost three years to get used to this PayPal-thingy.

Best Regards
Zeuge der Unity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users