Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Paypal backing ?

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

obsinaut

obsinaut

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Hello

Just wanted to ask if there will be a paypal backing option, because not everyone has a credit card.

I also dont understand why you guys dont bother putting atleast a tiny information about this on fig or in this forum. Why do we always have to ask you and ourselfs if there will be such option. Why dont you just put it in a description. I mean you KNOW there are many many people asking about that.

Its also not fair to enable paypal at the end of a campain, because then some items will be gone. There is no chance for a collector without credit card to get what he wants.

Regards

• Suen, Melari and amjclape like this

Corlagon

Corlagon

Ambassador of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Same here. I want another signed collectors edition. Let it happen! :D

floredon

floredon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

PayPal has a prepaid debit MasterCard that you can sign up for:

https://www.paypal.c...paid-mastercard

TheRealDrMcCoy

TheRealDrMcCoy

Undead Tinkerer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

...if you're an US resident. Which a lot of people are not.

Also, the card comes with a $4.95 a month fee. Which is awful.

desel

desel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 123 posts

Obsidian is looking into it:

https://forums.obsid...-9#entry1875592

floredon

floredon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

...if you're an US resident. Which a lot of people are not.

Also, the card comes with a $4.95 a month fee. Which is awful.

ah, didn't notice it was US only, and yes the monthly fee is terrible. i thought it was just something you could automatically link to your paypal account. surprising that european banks don't issue debit cards.

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Yes, paypal please. Worked like a charm last time :).

Edited by Harry Easter, 26 January 2017 - 01:51 PM.

TheRealDrMcCoy

TheRealDrMcCoy

Undead Tinkerer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 37 posts

surprising that european banks don't issue debit cards.

I can't speak for other European countries, but Germany has its own debit card system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girocard. It's accepted by physical stores, but not by bakeries, some small shops and the like. In general, Germans still like paying with cash.

For online pay, we use SEPA direct debit through our usual bank account. And before SEPA, we had our own direct debit scheme, which worked very much like SEPA does now.

Some of this, like SEPA direct debit, also theoretically works across all EU countries. But it seems to be less popular in other countries, because while I see it all the time in German online stores, I seldom see it in others. And, of course, it doesn't work between the EU and the US.

I can use the German debit card on many ATMs in the US too (at least it worked in 2009), but it incurs about $10 worth of fees every time. And usual US online payment processors like Stripe don't accept them at all.

WotanAnubis

WotanAnubis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

ah, didn't notice it was US only, and yes the monthly fee is terrible. i thought it was just something you could automatically link to your paypal account. surprising that european banks don't issue debit cards.

Of course I've got a debit card.

A Dutch debit card.

Which is of no use when Fig (and Kickstarter for that matter) asks specifically for a credit card.

Edited by WotanAnubis, 26 January 2017 - 02:06 PM.

floredon

floredon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A Dutch debit card.

Which is of no use when Fig (and Kickstarter for that matter) asks specifically for a credit card.

In the US debit cards also function like regular credit cards. There are MasterCard and VISA debit cards that have 16 digit numbers accepted wherever VISA and MasterCard are accepted.

• illathid likes this

WotanAnubis

WotanAnubis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

A Dutch debit card.

In the US debit cards also function like regular credit cards. There are MasterCard and VISA debit cards that have 16 digit numbers accepted wherever VISA and MasterCard are accepted.

Oh, I see.

Doesn't work that way over here. Debit and credit cards are very definitely two entirely different things.

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A Dutch debit card.

Oh, I see.

Doesn't work that way over here. Debit and credit cards are very definitely two entirely different things.

Is The Netherlands still stuck in the early 2000's? Most Finnish banks changed their debit cards about 10-15 years ago so they could be used for online purchases as well so they kinda work like credit cards. 

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2605 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In Finland it is possible to buy prepaid credit cards from certain stores and I know that such is possibility in other countries. So it could be worth to check if there are similar services in your countries.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2547 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I feel like over the years I've learned more about different countries from a video game website than from actually travelling to other countries. Thanks for that.
  • Volourn and illathid like this

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2605 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A Dutch debit card.

Oh, I see.

Is The Netherlands still stuck in the early 2000's? Most Finnish banks changed their debit cards about 10-15 years ago so they could be used for online purchases as well so they kinda work like credit cards. 

All the EU countries have not yet fully adopted common debit/credit card system (where all debit cards are visa/master card certificated). Finland of course was first like it so often is when it comes to put EU regulations and agreements in effect.

WotanAnubis

WotanAnubis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

We do have a system for making online purchases with our debit cards, yes.

And while that works for Steam or PayPal, it don't work for Fig.

Aarik D

Aarik D

Community Manager

• Developers
  • 3163 posts
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hey all you lovely adventurers! 

I know you are all eager to get some awesome loots, so we are currently looking into other options right now. 

Thanks a bunch! 

• Flouride, rjshae, AndreaColombo and 3 others like this

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

We do have a system for making online purchases with our debit cards, yes.

And while that works for Steam or PayPal, it don't work for Fig.

Okay, my debit card works with Fig like a charm. Not sure if that is the case with Finnish banks as well.

obsinaut

obsinaut

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

96% funded and still no paypal option.

I guess you just dont care.

I dont understand it.

desel

desel

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 123 posts

Pretty sure it will be enabled once it's past 100%, like I think it was the case with POE's kickstarter campaign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users