Documentary: Road to Eternity

Kickstarter isn't that of success lately. You guys think they should still continue with KS?

Yes, because, if this is PoE2 (I think it is pretty much a sure thing), then they wouldn't want to lose an IP they own in order to get backing from a publisher.   They have had the money to work on the game for a while now, already.  They already have the engine ready, they likely have the story mostly laid out, they probably have most systems much closer to where they want them, etc.  They just need money for production, more than likely.   This means they don't need as much money, but I would be ecstatic if they got as much or more.  

I am almost more psyched for PoE2 than I was for the first game.  That is mostly because they will have all their ducks in a row, and not have to build everything from the ground up. 

Kickstarter isn't that of success lately. You guys think they should still continue with KS?

There could be good reason kf KS being less popular: too many ks scams, eternal alphas and preorders. At one point players will get fed up with it.

But what is success and recently? Divinity OS2 got 2m in '15, good enought.

As for PoE2: every stupid 100k is 1800h of dev time. And there is always something to do, be it more copywrite, animation, AI... not to mention some bigger stuff like Voice Overs.

And PoE2 probably had big chance for 1m+, since 1st one was game of the year material, and having same but bigger and better would attract.

Crappy WL2's sequel got 3.1m or something. Why should Obs think smaller for PoE 2 like 1 mil? They should ask for 3 at least. I don't wanna see a game with so few innovations if not at all. Otherwise **** crowdfunding, they could make the same quality game with only the profits of PoE 1, what's the point for second crowdfunding for a successful game if not to increase its budget? And its too late anyway, they won't change their plans 1 day prior to figstarter.

Fig was found because they want to fund bigger games, eventually AAAs after all.

Crappy WL2's sequel got 3.1m or something. Why should Obs think smaller for PoE 2 like 1 mil? They should ask for 3 at least. I don't wanna see a game with so few innovations if not at all. Otherwise **** crowdfunding, they could make the same quality game with only the profits of PoE 1, what's the point for second crowdfunding for a successful game if not to increase its budget? And its too late anyway, they won't change their plans 1 day prior to figstarter.

Fig was found because they want to fund bigger games, eventually AAAs after all.

WL3 was on Fig. It's different than KS if i'm not mistaken. If it gets sold x amount of copies then the game will be free to the backers or something if i'm not mistaken. As for Brian, i'm really not so comfortable personally on how he has treated the Numenera backers. Read some complaints about (it was not originally planned for consoles) and the games get delayed for no explanations and also not meeting some stretch goals. Also originally PST is RTwP. They changed it to fully TB and personally i don't quite like it though.

I have played WL2 though it was great on PC and the UI looks good. Not quite sure how WL3 will turn out after looking at Numenera.

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 1

Like I said above, them having the engine set up, tools in place, and having a production pipeline running fairly efficiently they can do much more with less, imho. Look at the Shadowrun games: $1.8 million made Reterns and it's the weakest game, Dragonfall was made from Returns profits and it's the best IMHO, Hong Kong made $1.2 million and it is great (not as good as DF, but better than Returns). So they probably will be fine with a good bit less. However, I definitely want to see them make as much money or more than last time.

People wanted PoE to be BG2/SoA come again, but I always hedged my bets on that. It's a lofty dream when Obsidian had to create all that stuff during pre-production, get use to tools/engine, and then churn out a game and debug. This is the same reason Shadowrun Returns was the weakest title of those 3 games. I expect PoE2 will innovate, iterate, and have a better put together story. PoE was BG1, and TWM was ToSC. PoE2 could be their BG2/SoA. It has the chance to be much better. Even if they don't hit $3.9 million like last time. Although, I think we all want it to make tons of crowdfunding dough.

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 3

Early on the documentary, Josh mentions that the money was coming in so quickly Obsidian just had to kind of make up stretch goals on the fly and, perhaps, didn't think them all through as well as they should have.

I wonder if the stretch goals for Deadfire have already been planned in advance.

Eh. Probably.