Well, I am not certain about this and I'd like to confirm it. I have not tested it in battle yet. I don't give a lot of chances to ranged attackers, hehe. Anyway. So, here we have Pallegina, an avian godlike, with Elusive Quarry, that gives a +10 bonus to Deflection against ranged attacks. So far so good, yes? An here comes Aru-Brekr, a pretty red armor, that also gives a +10 bonus to Deflection against ranged attacks! And, my question is, if you haven't figured it out yet, when Pallegina wears this armor, does it mean she has a total of a +20 bonus to Deflection against ranged attacks, or it will be +10? Are the two separate bonuses added or is one of them suppressed? My opinion is that they are both added and the bonus is +20, because there is no (Suppressed) tag nex to either of them, but I am not 100% sure yet. Anyone wiser?

They should stack because they come from a different source: one is gear, the other is talent.

Even though it doesn't really sound like something you should go for, given there are stuff much more anoying than archers :D (looking at stuns, paralyzes and so on)

Yeah, this is just temporary, not a lot of good heavy armors as loot early in the game, sadly. And I am destitute, I really hope the money starts flowing in soon. I have the Sanguine Plate, I'll enchant it soon and then Pallegina will have a new shiny red armor, haha.

From experimenting with the Aila Braccia, it seems like a surprising number of attacks in the game fall under the Ranged Attack umbrella, including the missile spells, Cleansing Flame, and the Lagufaeths' blowgun. I'd go as far as calling it one of the better unique bonuses for armour.

Ranged attacks are all targeted attacks which travel over a distance. This includes Necrotic Lance, Missiles, arrows, gunshots, cleansing flame and so on.

It also includes the annoying Lagufaeth blowguns.

AoE spells like Fireball which you cast "on the floor" don't count.

With Pallegina, Aru Brekr and Aila Braccia you will reflect a lot of such attacks back to the attacker. For example the Lagufaeth paralyze themselves and Thaos will cast Cleansing Flame into his own face. It's a very nice setup for certain encounters.

I'm pretty sure it stacks. Elusove Quarry is a passive and should stack with everything. Look at the combat log when Pallegina gets attacked by a shot. You can even do it yourself. Her deflection in that roll should be 20 higher than on her char sheet.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You want to replace the AoE damage powerhouse? Why?

What powerhouse, he was doing the least damage in the party. Sure, the build was a bit tanky, but to be honest I am not impressed with his early skills. Later I got paralyze but, by the time it is available, I've killed almost everyone. And AoE skills are very tricky to use effectively, for example the exploding corpses. Anyway, Kana is not a powerhouse by far. Perhaps after you have spent hours minmaxing him and trying various builds... But yeah, I did his quest, I heard his comments, time for one more lady in the party. Sure, he has some AoE buffs, auras let's say. But Pallegina has also. But she also has some very powerful hits, and even good heals, if you focus on those.

Edited by 613 The Evil

You missed The Dragon Thrashed chant (lvl 9). It turns Kana from the least damaging party member into the most damaging one. Tanky is good then. Just chain Dragon Thrashed phrase and nothing else. If you buff him with Durance (Devotions of & Crowns for the Faithful, Champion's Boon) he will finish whole encounters alone.

Edited by Boeroer

You missed The Dragon Thrashed chant (lvl 9). It turns Kana from the least damaging party member into the most damaging one. Tanky is good then. Just chain Dragon Thrashed phrase and nothing else. If you buff him with Durance (Devotions of & Crowns for the Faithful, Champion's Boon) he will finish whole encounters alone.

Meh, damage over time, good but not for quick kills, to slay casters for example. I prefer targeted attacks to eliminate threats and then clear the rubble. And also, I avoid stuff that need frequent resting, like Durance, Aloth... Anyway I rely on teamwork, doing heavy and quick damage. Barbarian, Eder, Pallegina, Hiravias, Grieving Mother, Sagani. To be honest there are few challenging fights in town now, even on Hard mode. I reached that fampyr lord in Caed Nua and stopped because I want to be able to talk to him. We reached level 9 recently.

In my experience it seems that the Chanters' damage and kills caused by DoT chants such as Come, Come Sweet Winds and Dragon Thrashed are not counted in the statistics on the character page. So your chanter may be causing much more damage than indicated there.

Yup, the outworn buckler is too good to lose. Many status effects completely slaughter your deflection (and/or accuracy), so non-deflection defenses are arguably as or more important than deflection.

Edited by the streaker
  • Like 1

For me, fortitude is the most important defense - generally speaking. Nearly all of the most dangerous disables like paralyze, stun, prone and petrify target fortitude.

Then comes deflection, then reflex. Last one is will for me.

But it also depends which classes/builds you use. For example you don't want that your Dragon-Thrashed-chanter or your Sacred-Immolation-paladin get charmed or dominated. Because that's very painful for your whole party. ;)

And if you have a priest most afflictions are less threatening and suddenly deflection is my no. 1 concern.

Edited by Boeroer