RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

On Hardcore and especially Insanity, the only saving grace of companions is their ability to instantly and perfectly deploy abilities to help with stripping protections, which literally every mook has. On Insanity, smart use of companion abilities to stagger and weaken mobs makes a huge difference.

Mass Effect 2's Insanity mode was pretty tedious. Oh, and yeah, great difficulty concept Bioware. Boss fights? Laughable. Collectors? Haha. Preatorians? Pssh...

50 armored Husks converging on your position and you just messed up your only team fire aoe ability? Yeah, bring me the brown pants. ;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Hard to tell what the gameplay will be like from this trailer.  Supposedly, it will have simultaneous turn-based combat.  Visually, though, it looks amazing.

• Like 7

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Gamespot - ME Andromeda File size revealed, Preloading begins for some

Mass Effect: Andromeda is out next week. Now, we've learned the game's file size on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, as preloading has begun for some players.

According to user reports on Twitter and Reddit (via GamesRadar and PlayStation Universe), the Xbox One file size is 42.19 GB, with the PlayStation 4 edition coming in at 42.9 GB. A day-one update is also in the works; BioWare is expecting to have it available for later this week.

As announced previously, the Andromeda PC specs show that players will need at least 55 GB of free space to install the game.

BioWare has yet to make any official announcements regarding preloading, but if it does, that should happen soon. We'll report back with more details as they become available.

Andromeda officially launches on March 21, but a 10-hour trial of the game will be available on Xbox One and PC for EA/Origin Access subscribers starting on March 16.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.gog.com/game/full_throttle_remastered

Soundtrack is remastered, hooray. Well whatever that means from them anyway. The music on release was rather tinny, but makes sense why that was

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Who wrote that, Stephan A. Smith? Colin Coward? Skip Bayless? They might have decent points in there, but sheesh.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

In some ways it sounds like they're taking everything as a personal disappointment. It almost has a feel of someone's personal faith being shattered by the priest turning around and mooning the worshippers,  rather than purely a game review... :p

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Walker is painful as ever to read. But at least he will wind up some people about how he's wrong, etc.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Spoilerific

After watching this I don't think Andromeda will be that bad. It seems like Mass Effect 3.5 just without the reapers, and paragon and renegade stuff.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I'm still waiting for impressions from people who thought ME3 was a dumpster fire. Not really interested in the opinions of people who thought the ending was a-okay and game systems built for microtransaction laden horde modes are great for single player.

• Like 6
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm still waiting for impressions from people who thought ME3 was a dumpster fire. Not really interested in the opinions of people who thought the ending was a-okay and game systems built for microtransaction laden horde modes are great for single player.

I would suggest just ignoring the new game then. If you thought ME3 was a dumpster fire, then I don't see how a new ME will possibly be worth your time, money, or energy.

Anything's possible. I'm not one to completely dismiss something. Otherwise I'd never have played Dragon Age: Origins or ME2. And I loved those two. Even Inquisition had enough redeeming qualities that I can say it was worthwhile. Heck, I enjoyed a second playthrough of Dragon Age 2 not too long ago.

I'm not optimistic, but I'm also not inclined to think that one terrible game means all others will terrible.

I thought ME3 was ok. I certainly enjoyed it to some extend, as much as I did ME2. Would never count it under my top10 ever, but I don't regret playing it either. Guess this new game will be the same-- good for what it is, and forgotten quickly. 

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I would suggest just ignoring the new game then. If you thought ME3 was a dumpster fire, then I don't see how a new ME will possibly be worth your time, money, or energy.

Microtransactions are here to stay. It's going to be harder and harder for anyone to resist putting them in. That's just an unfortunate fact of how things have developed. 

Would you like for your game to continue making revenue long after purchases have leveled out and have next to zero extra expense yes/no. That's often the consideration. 

I thought Me3 was pretty decent for all its faults. The ending was **** but I can look past that. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I didn't like Dragon Age: Inquisition because the story and the characters were boring and it became a real chore to finish the game. Dragon Age 2 had some pretty awful level design but at least it had an intriguing story to follow.

The Mass Effect games were all great games in their own rights and they made for some good space opera in my opinion. Mass Effect: Andromeda seems to have fun gameplay and purdy visuals, I just hope the story can surprise me.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Microtransactions are here to stay. It's going to be harder and harder for anyone to resist putting them in. That's just an unfortunate fact of how things have developed. 

Would you like for your game to continue making revenue long after purchases have leveled out and have next to zero extra expense yes/no. That's often the consideration.

To me it's more a matter of how they are implemented rather than if they exist at all. The microtransaction system in ME3 didn't affect the single player portion of the game in the slightest. While guns were assigned to a rarity tier in multiplayer for gambling packs, you acquired them in SP the old fashioned way: at certain points in the story.

What worries me is that rarity for equipment is now a trait displayed in single player as well, which hints at some sort of loot randomisation (à la ME1) at best. At worst, pay to purchase random packs in single player.

Once more, Bioware insists on the proprietary currency scam ("Andromeda Points") for in-game purchases, which combined with the above and their statement that there will be no season pass doesn't exactly inspire confidence with regards to their microtransaction model. This is EA, after all.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The microtransaction system in ME3 didn't affect the single player portion of the game in the slightest.

It certainly did, just not heavily. The gun upgrade system existed in its form because of the microtransactions in MP.

The game had total parity between single player and the multiplayer horde mode. They basically farmed out all of the combat to the MP team. It's why single player has no collectors, no mercenaries, no thugs, no Krogan, not even wildlife. It's only Reapers, Geth, and Cerberus in neatly organized armies. And not even any battlefields where two groups fight, because that wouldn't be in MP either. It seems like the only actual mechanics the single player team were responsible are the awful awful boss fights.

Once more, Bioware insists on the proprietary currency scam ("Andromeda Points") for in-game purchases, which combined with the above and their statement that there will be no season pass doesn't exactly inspire confidence with regards to their microtransaction model. This is EA, after all.

Not even 'Bioware Points' that can be used across games? I guess at least they're selling in sensible block sizes, though it's probably a forlorn hope that if they're used for DLC purchasing that the DLC won't cost just a little bit more than the nearest single increment of points.

In some ways it sounds like they're taking everything as a personal disappointment. It almost has a feel of someone's personal faith being shattered by the priest turning around and mooning the worshippers,  rather than purely a game review... :p

It's John Walker and he's a big Bioware fan. He fairly regularly suffers from (and makes his readers suffer his) jilted lover syndrome, so if he does get disappointed by Bioware there will be tears before bedtime.

Anything's possible. I'm not one to completely dismiss something. Otherwise I'd never have played Dragon Age: Origins or ME2. And I loved those two. Even Inquisition had enough redeeming qualities that I can say it was worthwhile. Heck, I enjoyed a second playthrough of Dragon Age 2 not too long ago.

I'm not optimistic, but I'm also not inclined to think that one terrible game means all others will terrible.

If you liked DAI well enough then that is probably the best indicator. Realistically it also depends on what exactly you disliked about ME3 and liked about ME2 too.

The microtransaction system in ME3 didn't affect the single player portion of the game in the slightest.

It certainly did, just not heavily. The gun upgrade system existed in its form because of the microtransactions in MP.

The game had total parity between single player and the multiplayer horde mode. They basically farmed out all of the combat to the MP team. It's why single player has no collectors, no mercenaries, no thugs, no Krogan, not even wildlife. It's only Reapers, Geth, and Cerberus in neatly organized armies. And not even any battlefields where two groups fight, because that wouldn't be in MP either. It seems like the only actual mechanics the single player team were responsible are the awful awful boss fights.

The single player gun upgrade system is functionally the same as it was in ME2. You found guns and mods in predetermined places as you progressed through the story. The only change was that you used resources to upgrade a particular gun (I-X), instead of using said resources to research a flat bonus for an entire category after unlocking it in a mission. It worked nothing like the grabbags from MP.

It's funny that you mention collectors, because there are collectors in MP. If they weren't in SP it's because you kinda killed them all back in ME2 so thematically they didn't fit. And in Platinum difficulty you fought against a hodgepodge of enemies from the 4 "factions", so... no.  Assorted mercenaries would behave just as Cerberus reskins (Citadel) much like the Shadow Broker's troops were Eclipse/Blue Suns mooks with a paintjob in ME2, ho-hum.

More enemy variety would have been nice, especially more mechs and creatures, but I don't see a lack thereof as being necessarily a consequence of the way the MP was designed.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.