Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
582 replies to this topic

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2821 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Third Nioh demo incoming this weekend for everyone that missed Alpha and Beta to get all the stuff. European version is up already, US later today, don't know about others.

http://blog.us.plays...ins-january-21/

https://blog.eu.play...l-this-weekend/

• Labadal and Katphood like this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Additionally, wording of the takedown notice doesn't mention trademark protection (or does it? I've not noticed that), it mentions an international treaty. Or am I misunderstandig this entirely?

As I understand it the Geneva convention of 1882 gives specific places where the Red Cross symbol is approved to be used an only in those areas and, for the most part, granted Trademark of the symbol to the organization (excepting, in some cases, where a pre-existing trademark pre-dated ratification of the convention).  However in this case, I think the takedown was predicated on Protocol III which wasn't adopted until 2006.  This spelled out that there are only two uses of the Red Cross, Red Crescent, and Red Crystal - Protective Use (to mark medical and religious persons equipment) and Indictive Use (to show the person is a member of the organization).  All other use is forbidden as it could weaken recognition of the symbol in wartime.

So DOOM (1993) would predate Protocol III but the remake (2016) would not, for example.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
Again, the use refers to real life, not in works of fiction.
  • sorophx likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The provisions of the Geneva Conventions and, where applicable, the 1977 Additional Protocols, governing prevention and repression of misuse of the distinctive emblems shall apply equally to the third Protocol emblem. In particular, the High Contracting Parties shall take measures necessary for the prevention and repression, at all times, of any misuse of the distinctive emblems mentioned in Articles 1 and 2 and their designations, including the perfidious use and the use of any sign or designation constituting an imitation thereof.

There's nothing in that wording that I can see that confines it to 'real life'.  And if their goal is to prevent the misuse of the emblem or the lack of clarity when it is used, fictional uses would have to factor into it, I'd think.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
That would be against the 1st amendment, at least in the US. Edit: What they're trying to prevent here is the misuse of the symbol, like transporting terrorists in ambulances marked with a red cross.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon, 18 January 2017 - 11:39 AM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm not saying that there was a legitimate claim in this case; loads of organizations will send cease-and-desist notices over marks that wouldn't really be actionable if it went to court.  I'm just saying that if the site was asked to remove it with reference to Geneva Convention, it was probably someone sabre-rattling over Provision III of the Geneva Convention (or something from the 1977 update, but the wording on Prov III seemed the most likely culprit).

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1921 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That would be against the 1st amendment, at least in the US.

Regardless, it's a valid issue - Red Cross symbols must carry a very specific meaning. When a soldier sees this emblem through sights of his gun, his subconscious thought must be "Red Cross, that's not a target I'm allowed to attack" as opposed to "Oh it's filled with medpacks, must shoot it before enemy can pick them all up! They could even get Berserk and everything!"

Nonetheless, the way Red Cross addresses this issue is ... Extremely questionable. First of all, I'm pretty sure ambulances should actually carry it to not be a target in general (right?), so an ambulance carrying it in a videogame should be the correct fictional depiction of reality, as opposed to medkits carrying it since medkits should not. Furthermore, it seems they just target media and products at random, without any effort put into getting the word out to prevent such occurrences in the future. It's bizarre

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1369 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Guys at firaxis were just showcasing the LW2 mod, still live https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 622 posts

Project Louisiana teased by Obsidian.

Many have bet that it's Pillars of Eternity 2. It would seem to imply Edér as a returning character or even a central figure (his portrait has a stalk of wheat hanging from his mouth, and he smokes a pipe).

• Hurlshot, ShadySands, Deadly_Nightshade and 1 other like this

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

and I was hoping it was a LOTR RPG

• trulez likes this

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2320 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Additionally, wording of the takedown notice doesn't mention trademark protection (or does it? I've not noticed that), it mentions an international treaty. Or am I misunderstandig this entirely?

The international treaty may be a Trademark treaty rather than the GC, since the ICRC is head quartered in Geneva they'd use international agreements of trademarks if TM protection was their aim outside Switzerland.

The Geneva Convention provisions tend to have specific applications such as big P Perfidy, they're about as non trivial as it's possible to get and their infraction is a literal war crime. They won't be used to target videogames which are completely at the other end of the triviality scale. Targeting unauthorised use of trademarks or copyright material is very common though, similar to how you have 'Vintar' rather than Vintorez rifles in Stalker or Infernus rather than Diablo (double jeopardy there) cars in GTA because if you didn't you'd get a removal or licensing demand

Solution is easy enough anyway, just use the Rod of Asclepius/ Caduceus instead.

• Fenixp likes this

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3345 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Project Louisiana teased by Obsidian.

Many have bet that it's Pillars of Eternity 2. It would seem to imply Edér as a returning character or even a central figure (his portrait has a stalk of wheat hanging from his mouth, and he smokes a pipe).

Meh, if it's some fantasy game again, I am out.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6999 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah I will pass as well.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3093 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
In a world where like two western companies are still doing RPGs, it would seem to be irrational to pass out on any game, just because the setting does not 100% fit my taste. *shrugs*

What else to play? Either fantasy RPG or just another open world cover shooter...
  • the_dog_days likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5366 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Unfortunately, for me, the PoE ruleset is an impenetrable tangle of misery that my brain refuses to wrap around. PoE2 will have to be a pass for me too. :(

But Ill keep a candle lit for a new D&D 2E game. :lol:

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3345 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
A real wild west RPG, now that would be something I'd be really all over about. Now I am not talking about games like Red Dead... imagine Fallout or Arcanum as a true wild west experience. Something where you arent necessarily a generic genre gunslinger, but maybe a doctor or slave or whatever character. So far someone has yet to create that.

Edited by Lexx, 19 January 2017 - 06:37 AM.

• TorontRayne likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6780 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
Count me in among the pass on Pillars 2 crowd.

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1921 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'm willing to pledge as much as 40 bucks to get the reward tier that'll grant you a book with more lore. NEED MORE LORE!

Solution is easy enough anyway, just use the Rod of Asclepius/ Caduceus instead.

I'm mostly interested in how does all of this apply to uses in real situations portrayed in fiction - so red crosses are on medical tents in Battlefield 1. That'd be an accurate historical portrayal, right? And how about ambulances in games, like Prison Architect? Does Red Cross belong on an ambulance?

Edited by Fenixp, 19 January 2017 - 07:17 AM.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
I remember there was a cathedral that objected to being pictured in a game. All this is utter BS, but lawyers tend to intimidate people.

I'm actually starting to warm up to POE. I don't know that I'm ready for POE2 yet though, may be in a couple of years.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3801 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm going to pledge to PoE 2, but nowhere near $1000, like I did the first game.

• Agiel and evilcat like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users