First trip to Europe

redneckdevil

Tyvm for the suggestions. Funny thing that's what I've heard and reason why I'm not keen on France when I have other options lol. I've heard that it's beautiful but that the people have a natural snobby "****" vibe. Since I'm half French, half Irish, and all American, I've been told it's my French side that makes me such a good **** lol.

If you've got some green, and are going in the winter, you could look at going to the Ice Hotel in northern Sweden . It's pretty pricey, and besides some impressive arctic climate and aurora borealis there is'nt that much to see up there, but we have some museums further south.

Having lived in Paris and traveled quite extensively in France, I think that's bull**** to be honest.. It was true 15 years ago sure, but today all of them speak English fairly well, are interested in the world beyond their own country. 

Parisians can tend to be uptight, much in the same way Londoners can - but that's about it.

Well, I've been told that by a french coworker, even she dislikes the general attitude to english of her countrymen :p

Oh cmon, you have tons of great stuff in Sweden, but you are expensive as hell :)

yeah and that problem with alcohol - not for use east Europeans :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That's something you will find quite great as opposed to US I suppose, public traffic in EU is quite outstanding (excluding south states :))

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I thought about riding a train in the US once, then figured out I had to travel a day north-east by train to travel a day south-east by train to get where I wanted to go...as opposed to driving 5 hours north-east to the actual destination. 

Also all the cool trains like the 20th Century Limited ended their runs in the 60s.  Maybe someday I'll tackle The Venice-Simplon Orient Express run from Paris to Istanbul since that's about as close as I'm going to get to the classic days of rail travel anymore...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I heard most of the same things about France when I was in Italy. We were warned against going if we didn't speak French and then again against going to Paris if we didn't speak it perfectly. Though almost all the Italians we meet had mostly bad things to say about the French in general, also some loathing of French tourists that beat any obnoxious American stereotypes that I didn't really hear much of when I was there either. A lot of bashing of UK tourists too for whatever reason. Germans too.

I guess we need to step up our game

PS the trains were interesting

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

That's something you will find quite great as opposed to US I suppose, public traffic in EU is quite outstanding (excluding south states :))

Oi! The Athens Metro is pretty much the one thing working in Greece. That and the intercity coach service. Sometimes the Metro is on strike, but I have an app on my phone for that :p

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I heard most of the same things about France when I was in Italy. We were warned against going if we didn't speak French and then again against going to Paris if we didn't speak it perfectly. Though almost all the Italians we meet had mostly bad things to say about the French in general, also some loathing of French tourists that beat any obnoxious American stereotypes that I didn't really hear much of when I was there either. A lot of bashing of UK tourists too for whatever reason. Germans too.

I guess we need to step up our game

PS the trains were interesting

Everybody loves to hate on the French ;)

And nobody has anything nice to say about UK tourists. That is the large groups traveling with Thomas Cook to the south to get drunk by noon, hit on or insult (or both) anything that moves, urinate on the sidewalk etc etc. Though to be fair, any UK tourist who doesn't fall into that category won't have anything nice to say about them lot either.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Oh cmon, you have tons of great stuff in Sweden, but you are expensive as hell :)

yeah and that problem with alcohol - not for use east Europeans :)

Well, true, you can only buy extremely expensive alcohol from select stores between 10-18(10-15) ;p

The only thing that I can think of that is really worth seeing here, except Lappland(The northern part of Sweden) is the warship Vasa. And supposedly the pretty girls, but I doubt I can recommend that to him when his wife is coming along :p

We do have an awful lot of runestones and burial mounds, but since I've got two mounds(One next to the school I went to and one about 200 meters away in the middle of a field) only a stonesthrow away I don't get as impressed with them as I ought to.

Edit; Then again, Birka!

I'm not too bothered that 70cl of Absolut Vodka costs 30$ to be honest, what really, really, really annoys me is that they've gone from 75 to 70 cl. I'm not even joking, that has me fuming when I think about it. Trying to sneak in a priceraise like that.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken