Finding what is happening during combat

In different situations every once in a while I hear a character say something like "My weapon is useless" (I forget the exact phrase) or sometimes i see the text "Immune" float up above an enemy. But I can't find what any of that is referencing. Who is saying to use a different weapon? What attack was the enemy immune to? I pause and scroll through the text window but that is next to useless. It tells me thing I usually can already figure out, just not info I want more details about.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Am I not supposed to figure these things out? Is that part of the game experience? For all the issues with BG battle mechanics I could always pretty much figure out who was doing what in combat and what needed to change. I feel like I am missing something that is probably painfully obvious to veteran players.

Thanks,

Joe

Ah! Expert mode! That must be it. I don't ever remember selecting that, but there it was. I'll deselect it and play again later to see if that solves things. It's only my third play-through, but Normal was too easy except just to get a good overview of the game, and Hard was disappointingly not hard. I must have hit that at some point thinking it affected combat difficulty.

I have to admit, now, though, that PotD/Expert is exceptionally challenging and I'm not sure I won't to turn Expert mode off. I mean the jump in difficulty from Hard to PotD was not what I was expecting (now _every_ encounter is life or death). I just wish the NPC voices were distinctive enough (not the jNPCs, I'm using my own "team") to know who was speaking when they say their weapon isn't doing anything.

Thanks! I feel better now.

Joe

Personally I'd say expert mode is best suited either for lower difficulty playthroughs where you want to emphasise roleplaying (not knowing which dispositions dialogue options will build, not knowing the AoE templates of spells etc.) or for PotD playthroughs when you've got a very good handle on the game (you already know what enemies are weak against what etc.) and want to grab the various achievements around it. I wouldn't got PotD+expert on my first PotD playthrough.

Then again, I have never used expert at all, so what do I know  :facepalm:

It's been kind of annoyingly fun to see my reputation all over the place with Expert Mode turned on. I didn't always agree that some of the choices matched with the reputation associated with it and a couple of times I found myself saying "That's Rational? Really? Okay..."

Joe