Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help Designing a Melee Cipher Build

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6110 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Right! Also works with other casters. You can also witness this when you play a front line wizard, druid or priest with shield and higher DR: rushers won't care about you and you can cast your spells without too much disturbance.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1743 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Right! Also works with other casters. You can also witness this when you play a front line wizard, druid or priest with shield and higher DR: rushers won't care about you and you can cast your spells without too much disturbance.

Of course you still need to be careful. If you go running into combat alongside your actual tanks you might catch attention you didn't want, but with a melee Cipher you should usually be casting Whispers of Treason before wading in anyway.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1134 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

but with a melee Cipher you should usually be casting Whispers of Treason before wading in anyway.

I was reluctant of using low-cost powers, by a plate-encased cipher at first. Well, because of recovery. I had a second cipher (a ranged one in a robe) who could cast these faster.
But it turns out, that some of spells have almost the same action duration for both naked and plate encased characters. These are the ones I am aware of: Eyestrike, Whisper of Treason, Mental Binding and Ring Leader. (i.e. they have longer attack duration than they should for their UISpeed category; but very fast recovery; so plate is not a problem)

Edited by MaxQuest, 10 February 2017 - 08:34 AM.

indika_tates

indika_tates

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 52 posts

Ok, jokes aside. You can do something when you have such problems and they are annoying you: When you stack healing bonuses (MIG, survival, +25% items) and then use Wound Binding or Field Triage you will get way more than 40% or 20% health. You can read about that effect at length in my Chillfog chanter build. Same effects apply to potions of Infuse with Vital Essence! It will restore health. It's a cheap alternative to Wound Binding and stuff. It will not add as much health as the talents, but enough to push the need to rest a bit further away from you.

That's something I'm not aware of. How can you restore health without resting? I thought it was the only way to do it.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6110 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As I said: Wound Binding (1/rest, 40% health as base - only yourself), Field Triage (1/rest, 20%, ally or self) and Infuse with Vital Essence (potion or spell, adds a flat number of endurance & health, forgot how much). Be sure to drink the potion before encounter ends.

Edited by Boeroer, 10 February 2017 - 09:47 AM.

• indika_tates likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users